07 Camry v6: can't get cup off

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't get the cup off. The last oil change was done at a mom and pop place, and they screwed on the cup really good. I got the smaller cap off no problem.

Oil%20Filter%20Wrench.JPG

I tried that but the plastic slips right off.

Filter_Wrench.jpg

Then I tried this and still didn't work. Just slips.

Doesn't make sense why there are 14 sides to this thing. The more sides, the more it's like a circle, and it's tough getting a grip on a circle.

Anyways, I'm stumped. How do I get that darn cup off so I can change the cartridge? And is it a 64mm or 65mm?

Thanks!

Dr J

Hi.

Exactly what SLCriag said. Just be careful. Also, it won't be a clean job.

You can also use a knife too.

Another trick is to warm up the car for a couple minutes. Then turn it off and try to remove. It should be a little easier.

This is the 2GR-FE engine, which uses a cartridge filter. He says he got the lower cap off (drain), but can't get the cartridge cap off.

Unfortunately, I'm of no help here. I agree, the 14-sided cap doesn't seem to be a great idea.

They can be snug as the tightening torque on my Mazda canister cap is 25 ft/lbs, but, seems to take about 40 to remove it. Get the correct size cap and a 3/8 inch breaker bar and take it off. Put it back on using a torque wrench and set to specs.

It's not rocket science, but the cup or cap for a cartridge filter should have a 3/8" socket drive and be made of high quality aluminum. That's the way it is on my Saturn and I've never had any issue taking it on or off.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
This is the 2GR-FE engine, which uses a cartridge filter. He says he got the lower cap off (drain), but can't get the cartridge cap off.

Unfortunately, I'm of no help here. I agree, the 14-sided cap doesn't seem to be a great idea.

That's correct, it's the cartridge. https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://members.cox.net/n0v8or/avalon_oil_change.pdf

I got the 65/67mm wrench but it just slips off.
frown.gif

The plastic and stamped wrenches don't work too well.
You need an Assenmacher AST TOY-640 aluminum oil filter wrench.
Put it all back together. Add your new oil. Order the tool and change the filter next time. Don't worry, the filter should have no problem with a 2x interval.

100298.jpg

AST-TOY640.jpg

A 65mm 3/8" metal 14 fluted oil filter wrench works well. If you can't find that, a 65-67mm metal wrench should work (it tapers down to 65mm). Sometimes it takes some work getting the canister end out of the wrench once off though.

Once you replace the filter, you will notice that the canister really doesn't need torqued down once installed. It fits snug enough just by hand tightening.

Pay very close attention to where the old o-ring is installed on the canister. You need to put the new one in the same place, or it will leak (don't ask me how I know this).

Originally Posted By: unDummy
The plastic and stamped wrenches don't work too well.
You need an Assenmacher AST TOY-640 aluminum oil filter wrench.
Put it all back together. Add your new oil. Order the tool and change the filter next time. Don't worry, the filter should have no problem with a 2x interval.

100298.jpg
AST-TOY640.jpg

thats what we used when i worked at an oil change shop. also a rag over it and a strap wrench can work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back