Oil Suggestion 2008 Pontiac G6 GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an '08 g6 48k mi 3.5l v6 auto 4sp w/slapstick. I'm looking for an oil recommendation. I want to take care of this car, but honestly I have poor driving habits and in the past I haven't exactly been nice to my accelerator. I practically walk all over it. I have about a 15 mile commute, roughly half highway/half city. I average 250 mi a week, under variable conditions. I'm also a firefighter and emt so there are times when I turn the key and leave in a hurry. I let the oil circulate when I can, but there are times when seconds count (luckily not on a daily basis).

Hopefully that is enough information for a good suggestion. I'm about 1500 mi shy of the first oil change since I got it from the dealer. I'm partial to M1, purchasing from a store, and relatively short service intervals like 3-5k. Manual calls for API 5-30. Price is not a huge issue, but I don't want to go too crazy. I'm open to your suggestions of oil and possibly additives if they would be worth it. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Originally Posted By: Squatch81
I'm partial to M1, purchasing from a store, and relatively short service intervals like 3-5k. Manual calls for API 5-30. Price is not a huge issue, but I don't want to go too crazy. I'm open to your suggestions of oil and possibly additives if they would be worth it. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Well, you sort of answered your own question!

Mobil 1 (24.50 @ WM), Valvoline synpower ($25 @ WM), Penz Ultra/Plat, Syntec - any of those in a 5w/30 would be great for your application, IF you extended the OCI. 3-5k is on the conservative end - I'd run them until the OLM tells you to change the oil, or 7500 miles.

Your vehicle has an accurate oil life monitor that will probably run ~8k miles. I don't think the 3.5 is picky or hard on oil. If you are going to change the oil every 3-5k miles, any conventional would do. I'd recommended 5W30 Pennzoil in the yellow bottle, Mobil Clean 5000, or Quaker State for conventional. For synthetic, Pennzoil Platium, QS or Mobil 1.

I'm not used to having a good reliable vehicle, so maybe I would go longer on the oci. With former vehicles that had over 100k I wouldn't dream of going longer than 3k.

What about additives? Anything that would help with those cold starts and more time at high rpm than a "normal" driver?

Originally Posted By: Squatch81
I'm not used to having a good reliable vehicle, so maybe I would go longer on the oci. With former vehicles that had over 100k I wouldn't dream of going longer than 3k.

What about additives? Anything that would help with those cold starts and more time at high rpm than a "normal" driver?

Like I said before and so did another poster, let the OLM do its job. For extra peace of mind, use Mobil 1 5w/30, Penz Plat 5w/30, or QS synthetic 5w/30.

And do not add anything else, you wont need to. Those are great oils with great ad packs that do not need any additional additives.

I own a G6, and the olm runs out around 5k for my short drives. I use Formula Shell conventional. Ive used M1 for years in my 01 Impala but use conventional now. I dont drive a sports car, nor do i live in the sub arctive or tropics. A good dino performs quite well and is cheaper on the wallet and means an extra few bucks to pay for other things.

Being that it's a GM V6, I'd run MaxLife 10W-30 in it.

But if I'm gonna be politically correct, I should probably suggest 5W-30.
grin2.gif

I'm quite partial to M1 0w30 AFE myself. Especially in these cold winter months. I think they might just use a little bit better basestock (or more of it) than their 5w30. Mind you, I do not know this in any way for sure... it's just a speculation at best. But it's a great 30 weight oil, imo, one of the best. I'm also partial to their High Mileage 10w30 oil. If it were me, I'd run the former in the winter and the later in the heat of summer.

Running conventional 5w30 in North Jersey and havent had any slow starts or issues in the cold using it. Maybe if it was 20 below.

?? I never said anyone would have a slow start w/ conventional. Or even implied it. He said he was partial to M1 and I just gave my opinion on which M1's I was partial to. Or was that comment not directed at me? lol... just seen my name on it :p

Pennzoil yellow bottle 5w30 should work fine. Just check oil every so often and adjust as necessary.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
?? I never said anyone would have a slow start w/ conventional. Or even implied it. He said he was partial to M1 and I just gave my opinion on which M1's I was partial to. Or was that comment not directed at me? lol... just seen my name on it :p

Not aimed at you, just a general post/reply buddy
smile.gif
Just meant to add to my original post(overly delayed this response rofl).

Originally Posted By: shpankey
I'm quite partial to M1 0w30 AFE myself. Especially in these cold winter months. I think they might just use a little bit better basestock (or more of it) than their 5w30. Mind you, I do not know this in any way for sure... it's just a speculation at best. But it's a great 30 weight oil, imo, one of the best. I'm also partial to their High Mileage 10w30 oil. If it were me, I'd run the former in the winter and the later in the heat of summer.

+1
Yes M1 0W-30 would be a perfect choice for Buffalo winters not to mention year round.

Since you sometimes have to start your car up and leave in a hurry, I think that makes M1 0w30 an even better choice. You'll get oil to all parts of your engine sooner with the 0w rating. The 3.5 v6 doesn't have any special requirements for oil. Go ahead and depend on the Oil Life Monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back