how are advance auto brake pads and their warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been liking autozone and their lifetime warranty on pads. I can get one yearly if i wanted to, just tell them brake squeaks and i get a new set, i'm on their system.

I never done anything with advance but hey 40% online order picked up seems great!!!

I just saw their GOLD line is lifetime as well, similar part numbers. I guess maybe the same company makes them just re-badged. Now my main question is warranty exchanges, are they easy going as autozone. And quality of parts.

AFAIK all duralast gold with lifetime are fully ceramic pads, i looked up some of the cars i work on/might work on and some have semi-met front pads as their gold lines but ceramic in the rear. I've never put any semi-met pads on cars, other them OEM stuff.

Should i convert everything to advance now, mainly due to savings. Parts cost the same at both places for the most part.

Don't go off part numbers. Just like walmarts champ filters use the fram system. As an example raybestos and wagner have similar numbers for my cars. (Anyone know if they're related?)

I use their silver series out of cheapness and they stop like stockers and don't dust too much. Their rebuilt (drum) shoes are particularly good/ grabby. (Or most people let drums go far too long and they get hard without anyone noticing.)

I've never tested any brake pad warranty. I've returned rotors to an independent store due to warpage and the guy says he doesn't get too many back... probably because most people don't have two cars to run parts? I run my pads so long they rust out (and delaminate!!!) before they wear out.

at autozone you can get the same application replaced unlimited times under warranty.

at advanced they told me they will only replace the life time pad once. mike

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle

AFAIK all duralast gold with lifetime are fully ceramic pads,

Not sure what you are saying here, but AZ has lifetime duralast gold in both semi metalic and ceramic, according to applications. They have two gold lines, duralast gold and duralast gold cmax.

Last time I investigated, AutoZone was the ONLY place that still has the liberal lifetime return policy on brake pads.

I had Ceramic Bendix brakes I bought at Advance that had a lifetime replacement policy. After going in for my third set, they told me it was only a lifetime guarantee against defect, and the no longer carried Bendix. After getting a manager, he agreed to replace them with Wagner Ceramics, but that was it. He claimed no one offers free replacements anymore, and all the warranties were strictly for defects.

In the past (1990s) I use to get free replacements all the time at NAPA. That could be why there aren't any around me any more.

Considering the cost of the AZ Duralast Gold Cmax ceramic pads, the free replacement is almost a given. It's nice to see a company still doing something that brings customers back. I wonder how many rotors AZ counter folks have sold with the free replacement pads.

Back on topic: We put some Wearever ceramic pads and Wearever rotors onto my brother's 2000 Olds Silhouette. The pads needed some filing down to fit properly, as all brake pads do nowadays. Stopping was smooth, quick, quiet, and drama-free. He was happy to have his van stop again.

So as i was picking up the silver and gold pads i asked the guy about the warranty he told me, the "warranty covers defects in workmanship only." I followed up with " what the [censored] does that mean, defects what if they squeak"

guy stated if they squeak in 2 months thats fine bring them back but not in 2 years. I left it at that. To me that sounds more like a standard 90 day warranty and nothing like a lifetime...

He did tell me if i wanted a warranty like that i should look into their wagner thermoquiets as they will warranty those for anything reason. Sadly wagners are double the price of their gold and almost triple the silver.

Not sure how the braking is on them. I think autozone's pad were a nice price for what i get. Its not as strong of the bite as OEM but not as much dust.

I have yet to find any real quality parts sold at advance auto. It is all chinese, especially their brake lines.

I only shop there when I need a part ASAP, or use one of their 40 percent off coupons.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
He did tell me if i wanted a warranty like that i should look into their wagner thermoquiets as they will warranty those for anything reason. Sadly wagners are double the price of their gold and almost triple the silver.

Considering that you can get OE pads for the same or less money than a set of "premium" aftermarket pads, it makes little sense to buy an aftermarket pad that has not been tested and validated for your specific vehicle.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
The pads needed some filing down to fit properly, as all brake pads do nowadays.

I've never had that problem, but that is also another reason why OE pads are a good idea.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I have yet to find any real quality parts sold at advance auto. It is all chinese, especially their brake lines.

I only shop there when I need a part ASAP, or use one of their 40 percent off coupons.

only reason why i'm asking about advance is DUE to their 40%. I never stepped foot into one of those because they are a little far from me plus Napa/ autozone almost always has them beat. If given the time i buy off amazon/ rockauto. Stuff like " can you do my brakes tomorrow" autozone/napa were my guys. But 40% makes a huge difference. I can charge $10 more and they save a little more as well. WIN WIN for me. Most cars i work on are DD and pads turn up metal to metal so obviously ANY brake material is better then what they have on there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back