Ford Freestar keeps killing coil packs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Freestar keeps eating coil packs. The original Motorcraft one lasted 100k miles almost and when removed had cracks in the bottom and on the top. So my friend replaced it and we thought all would be ok. NOPE, it went again THREE more times. The last time he replaced it we sealed up everything as per the Ford TSB for the PCM getting wet (it wasn't). So it again went. He used the Wells brand from Autozone. Do you think the PCM is indeed bad or maybe the coils are just junk? The plug wires and plugs have not been changed, but I didn't think this could be the issues since it ran perfect with the new coil?

I would guess a lot of resistance in the wires/plugs would be causing the failure before the PCM.

Bad wires will permit the voltage to go too high and start internal arcing in the coils,thus killing the coils in about 2-3 weeks time. Killed 'em in a Taurus a few years back the same way

A wide gap on the plugs will also stress the coils. As dishdude and flacoman have suggested, change the wires, also change the plugs too!

Nobody had a Motorcraft one in stock, that is all I use. He just picked up a BWD coil, Autolite wires, and Motorcraft plugs for it and we are going to change them tomorrow. I will check the resistance of the original wires for the [censored] of it too.

My Lincoln ate two MSD Blaster coils. And an Accel one (though the Accel one lasted a lot longer than the MSD ones, the MSD ones replaced the Accel, which began acting up whenever it was humid out). I put another stocker back off it (off a '93 Mustang) and it has been running for years without issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back