V-Star towing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to get a cargo trailer to tow behind my 650 v star classic. It only has a single disk brake in the front and a drum brake in rear. The trailer I was looking at weighs 150 pounds. All I want haul is an overnight bag for the wife and I. Y'all think this is doable or am I overloading the bike?

A real good small trailer would likely cost more than a larger ordinary one would.
How about a cheap utility trailer you find in a farm store?
Light, small, not very expensive.
Check those farm, agricultural and hardware stores out.
We have Fleet/Farm and Farm & Fleet around here, not sure about east coast.

There are a couple of issues here. If all you want to carry is an overnight bag then get some saddlebags and/or a top box. Saddlebags won't adversely affect the handling as much as a trailer and you won't have to worry about the problem of backing out of a tight spot. A trailer also requires a separate tag plus the hitch and wiring issues involved.

If you do decide to go the trailer route I would advise against getting a garden utility cart. The tires and suspension are only designed for tractor speeds at best.

http://www.uni-go.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
It is hard to add anything to a bike that is more dangerous than a trailer. I've been in the business and an MSF instructor since the 70's.
Smoky's HO

It is doable but not something that I would do with that particular bike.

Do you not have a sissy bar with a rack on the back? We can stack a lot of stuff on that back rack. Also, a set of throw-over saddlebags will carry a lot of stuff.

By the time you purchase or fabricate a hitch and purchase the trailer and do the wiring, etc. etc., you could easily put a rack on the back and add saddlebags and come out money ahead.

What electrical accessories have you added to this bike, if any? Adding any additional load to the 650 electrical system, other than 35 watt passing lamps, will overload the charging system.

Now having said that, on my 650 Classic, adding an additional weight of 150 pounds in addition to myself and a passenger, would put a load on the bike itself.

Maybe riding by myself with a small trailer but not with an additional passenger.

I can't find the max weight limit for the V Star Classic. I see it is about 543 pounds wet (with fluids) and assume it should carry 300 pounds in that category of bike. You are probably at or over the max load spec of the bike with two people on it, and no luggage. Factor in a smallish motor, and it's no soup for you. A luggage rack with backrest, and a tailpack is the way I would go, with a stop at the scales, and determining if the tires are up to the task.
I'm only warning you because of an experience I had when the Bridgestone Battlax on the back of my BMW R100RT (full blown sport tourer designed for 2 folks and loaded saddlebags) blistered with me and lovely spouse and 2 loaded bags on the way home from North Carolina. We were only 30 pounds over the max weight of the bike, but had some issues. I urge you to err on the side of caution. Maybe a tall tail pack will work for you for overnights. Frankly, for me, an overnight is a clean T, a clean pair of bike shorts and socks, and deodorant, and maybe if we are leaving on the spur of the moment, the socks are optional.
grin.gif
sissybags-kury-1-lg.jpg

geez, man, if you need to take all that stuff you don't use a bike!

A trailer? OMG, that's just not even in my world when I ride a bike!

Choosing between 50 lbs. of cargo vs. 150 lbs. of trailer (+ hitch, + electrical, + ? lbs. cargo) should be easy.

3 smaller bags can actually carry as much as 1 great big bag. Look at the CARGO Endurance line on sale now at Cycle Gear: the Converti saddlebags ($60) and a big ($50) tank bag is a lot of flexibility for $110 total and still leave plenty of room for a passenger.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back