Hogue Grips Now Made in Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always been a fan of hogue grips, and have purchased many for my weapons. I recently ordered a set of wraparound grips for my Sig p220 and was excited. The grips are made in mexico now and no longer in America.

Looks like i'll have to find a new grip manufacturer, I sent a letter to the company a month ago and still no reply, basicly I stated that I will cease purchasing their products due to outsourcing.

quality of these new mexican grips is ok, but it is the principle of the fact.

Maybe their choice was move to Mexico or go out of business? Taxes,regulation,environmental laws,energy & employee costs have a way of dragging a business down. Last I heard they weren't alone in leaving the USA. No I don't like it either, but it's reality.

Not to be argumentative but where was your Sig made? If being made in America is so important I'm sure you had the same feeling and made the same choice when buying the firearm.

Agree that being made in America would be nice, but I'm not going to pass on what I buy if I want it.

BTW: Most of my weapons ARE made in America. I've stated here MANY TIMES when people asking for what to get that I'd pick up one made here.

Bill

+1 on letting Hogue know your concerns.

Everything is going to heck in a hand basket.

We're headed for third world status with no manufacturing in the USA.

NAFTA will be the death of the USA and the ruling elite will make their money on the way up and on the way down.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Not to be argumentative but where was your Sig made? If being made in America is so important I'm sure you had the same feeling and made the same choice when buying the firearm.

Agree that being made in America would be nice, but I'm not going to pass on what I buy if I want it.

BTW: Most of my weapons ARE made in America. I've stated here MANY TIMES when people asking for what to get that I'd pick up one made here.

Bill

My sig was not made by an American company, there is a difference with a American company outsourcing, than purchasing a firearm that is made by a foreign company in the first place.

Hogue is a family owned company and they can do as they wish, but that doesnt mean I have to support them if I disagree with their practices.

I love my chinese sks.

But if Hogue is doing this to save money they need to lower their prices. I don't see how you can charge $20 for a peice of molded rubber and a screw, especially if it's made in Mexico now.

I'm with you on the price of Hogue. The grips seem to be fine, and I'm not super bent about the Mexico part, but for mass factory made stuff they are expensive. And I'm the guy that paid $99 bucks for a hand carved cocobolo set for my Ruger!!

That was my biggest problem and was voiced in the email. The price of the product actually went up since last I purchased and they are outsourced.

Do you know for sure that all Hogue grips are made in Mexico or only the rubber product you bought? They are local to me and I haven't heard anything about them moving production south.

Where does Pachmayr make their rubber grips?

I am in the market for a set of grips for my 629. I checked Hogue and was some what put off by the price of a mass produced product.

I'll be going with a set from Herrett's. Same price as the Hogue grips, but custom made to fit my hand. Can't beat that.

Ed

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Do you know for sure that all Hogue grips are made in Mexico or only the rubber product you bought? They are local to me and I haven't heard anything about them moving production south.

Where does Pachmayr make their rubber grips?

not sure if all of their products are made in mexico, my grips for a couple of the 1911s I got about 5 years ago were US made, the grips my uncle has for his 220 is US made aswell. Also, the grip for my m4 is made in the US. But these purchases were all years ago and not recent.

Originally Posted By: edhackett
I am in the market for a set of grips for my 629. I checked Hogue and was some what put off by the price of a mass produced product.

I'll be going with a set from Herrett's. Same price as the Hogue grips, but custom made to fit my hand. Can't beat that.

Ed

How does one order Herrett's grips? I couldn't find their site. Thanks!

Interesting... Their site seems to have been suspended by the host for some reason. It was working last week. Hopefully it's a short term issue. Their site was dated, but did give you what you needed to know to initiate an order.

http://www.herrett-stocks.com/

They are located in Twin Falls Idaho. The phone is:
(208) 733-1498.

The process is quite involved: Selecting a style(Jordan Troopers for me), sending in a tracing of your hand done to their specs, a tracing of the gun butt sans grips or sending in the gun is necessary in some instances. They work predominantly in American Walnut and are not fast. The lead time when I talked to them last week was 15 weeks, which is not bad from what I understand.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back