Antifreeze for a '01 Jeep Cherokee I-6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I emailed Zerex and I believe they said G-05 is compatible with the old green stuff. If it were me I would just drain and fill the radiator 2x a years for a few years.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I emailed Zerex and I believe they said G-05 is compatible with the old green stuff. If it were me I would just drain and fill the radiator 2x a years for a few years.

I decided to go with OEM. Only $18/gal and I KNOW it is compatible.
grin.gif

The best part of the 01 is that I believe you have the improved head design. My 00 0331 head is the earlier one and they have a weak spot between 3&4 cylinders where they crack. Supposedly they started the fix in late 00 and early 01. I put a 3 core rad, flowcooler pump, hesco thermostat housing, and more in the hopes it will be OK. So far so good. But for what it is worth do NOT let it overheat no matter what.

I had the water pump in my 01 Cherokee with the 4.0 engine at 85K. When I bought it at 57K it had some kind of green antifreeze (cannot assume it was the old green stuff). I have since drained and filled the radiator a few times with G-05. Not saying there is a connection here....but??

I doubt it's connected. Chances are, at 57k miles, the green stuff that was in there was the original coolant.

4.0s are known for the water pumps not lasting forever. My mom's old 95 Grand Cherokee 4.0 went through 2 water pumps in the 110k miles she had it, and it was on old school green the whole time. Her current 99 Grand Cherokee 4.0 still has its original pump at 96k miles. It had green in there, was topped off with dexclones, turned into an absolute sludgy mess (coolant came out chunky when I flushed it a month ago), and has G-05 in there now.

My Jeep lost the water pump at 105k, which happened to be shortly after I flushed it and switched to G-05. However, I'm pretty sure I dislodged some [censored] while flushing, and the combination of that, and a couple hours of runtime with just distilled water in the system was what killed the seal.

Could be wrong but it may be worth our time to check with the dealership to see exactly which coolant we are supposed to use. I found that 2001 was the year the coolant changed over to G-05. I went to the Zerex site and then went to the dealership where the Parts Guy thought it was the green but he looked it up and said, "Wow, I didn't know the 2001's used the new stuff!"

Hey, does it matter? I don't know. I guess I'll side with "better safe than sorry."

It doesn't matter which you use. They didn't change anything in the system when they went from green to G-05. They phased the change in during 01 - 03. Only some models got it in 01 though, not sure if the XJ did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back