SM/CF SL/CF and CF Engine Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short answer: Yes.
Longer answer: Assuming the petrol/gasoline engines in question are OK with "SM" or "SL" per the owner' manual.
Same for "CF"; i.e. assuming the diesel engine in question is OK with CF per its manual.

The "S" technically refers to "spark fired" engines; i.e., petrol/gasoline. The SM standard was published 2007/2008. Depending on the age of the petrol/gasoline engine, its manual could specify something like "SF" or "SG" or "SH" (there was no "SI"). Don't know what API will do when after they get to "SZ". SL is the standard previous to SM

The "C" refers to "Compression" based engines; i.e., Diesel.
Latest in the US is known as CJ4+, which is about 2007; the data sheets for such diesel oil (aka HDEO) will note the term "2007 and later" often in their content.[font:Arial][/font]

Originally Posted By: ag_ghost
Don't know what API will do when after they get to "SZ".

We will have run out of oil long before then. Bitog will by that time be: Bob is the hydrogen fuel cell maintenance fluid guy BITHFCMFG. (And Amsoil will still not be certified fluid, but thought of in high regard)

laugh.gif

Good. There is a shell helix ultra API SM/CF and shell helix diesel ultra API CF . Both are 5W-40 SYNTHETIC ACEA A3/B3/B4. i have a diesel truck. last day i whent to shell dealer and ask for shell helix diesel ultra.he said that helix diesel ultra is not available at that time, use helix ultra. he told me that these are same oils as helix ultra is synthetic 5w-40 API SM/CF and Helix diesel ultra is API CF. he told me that diesel ultra is only CF, it use in only diesel engines but Helix Ultra is SM/CF. it is for both diesel and petrol. i ask him, if HELIX ultra SM/CF is for both diesel and petrol then why shell make an other helix "diesel" ultra with CF? he told me that Diesel Ultra is only CF and its is little bit less in price then Helix ultra, as it is SM/CF. i am still confused.

("sorry for my bad english")

Originally Posted By: Qaisrani
Good. There is a shell helix ultra API SM/CF and shell helix diesel ultra API CF . Both are 5W-40 SYNTHETIC ACEA A3/B3/B4. i have a diesel truck. last day i whent to shell dealer and ask for shell helix diesel ultra.he said that helix diesel ultra is not available at that time, use helix ultra. he told me that these are same oils as helix ultra is synthetic 5w-40 API SM/CF and Helix diesel ultra is API CF. he told me that diesel ultra is only CF, it use in only diesel engines but Helix Ultra is SM/CF. it is for both diesel and petrol. i ask him, if HELIX ultra SM/CF is for both diesel and petrol then why shell make an other helix "diesel" ultra with CF? he told me that Diesel Ultra is only CF and its is little bit less in price then Helix ultra, as it is SM/CF. i am still confused.

("sorry for my bad english")

It really does make a difference if the service symbol on the bottle is labeled SM/CF or just CF. An SM/CF means that the oil is primarily formulated for gasoline engines. CF means the oil is primarily formulated for diesels. If you have a diesel truck, the safe course is to use diesel-only oils, but I have no idea of what's available in Pakistan. What does your engine require?

What really matters for you is the ACEA rating since I believe that is what the engine specifies. Many A3/B3/B4 oils that are excellent for passenger car diesels and are used widely for them (especially outside the USA where small passenger car type diesels are rare) have a SM/CF or SL/CF rating. An outstanding example is Mobil 1 0W40.
But you could also use a 15W40 of the correct specs on your Japanese small truck diesels in your climate.
Do your owners' manuals give an oil specification (like DH-1 or DL-1 or ACEA or API?)

Charlie

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Qaisrani said:
It really does make a difference if the service symbol on the bottle is labeled SM/CF or just CF. An SM/CF means that the oil is primarily formulated for gasoline engines. CF means the oil is primarily formulated for diesels. If you have a diesel truck, the safe course is to use diesel-only oils, but I have no idea of what's available in Pakistan. What does your engine require?

My truck Engine is 3.0L D4D turbo intercooler. Engine requirement on owner,s manual is CF oils.i wnat to use a synthetic oils. in my area there are two types synthetic oils available
havoline 5-w30 API SM/CF ACEA A1/B1,A5/B5 and other is

shell helix ultra 5w-40 API SM/CF ACEA A3/B3/B4.
Both are SM/CF.

[My truck Engine is 3.0L D4D turbo intercooler. Engine requirement on owner,s manual is CF oils.i wnat to use a synthetic oils. in my area there are two types synthetic oils available
havoline 5-w30 API SM/CF ACEA A1/B1,A5/B5 and other is

shell helix ultra 5w-40 API SM/CF ACEA A3/B3/B4.
Both are SM/CF.

OK. I would definitely use the 5W40, as mentioned, since it has the A3/B3/B4 rating and therefore HTHS>3.5 @ 150C. Important in your climate. Don't worry that it is SM/CF.
But are you sure you will benefit from a synthetic? Surely you aren't planning extra long oil change intervals.
There are many excellent 15W40s that are rated CH4/CF in your area that are specifically designed for diesels.
Can your Shell distributor get Rimula R3X? It is JASO DH-1, CH4/CF rated.
I myself would rather use that on a D4D in Pakistan than the Helix. In my cold climate I would use a synthetic, perhaps Delvac 1.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
What really matters for you is the ACEA rating since I believe that is what the engine specifies. Many A3/B3/B4 oils that are excellent for passenger car diesels and are used widely for them (especially outside the USA where small passenger car type diesels are rare) have a SM/CF or SL/CF rating. An outstanding example is Mobil 1 0W40.
But you could also use a 15W40 of the correct specs on your Japanese small truck diesels in your climate.
Do your owners' manuals give an oil specification (like DH-1 or DL-1 or ACEA or API?)

Charlie

owner,s manual given specification is D-DLD-1,API CF-4,or API CF. (you may also use API CE or CD ).
SAE 5W-30,10W-30,15W-40,20W-50(WEATHER/CLIMATE CONDITION).
oil meets the guidelines recommended by following associations: ACEA,AAM,EMA,JMA

Considering your climate and the necessity of oil changes due to dust, I'd use a 15W40 like R3X Rimula, which you can probably get. And it is CH4, CG4, CF4, CF rated. The JASO rating is DH-1, not DL-1. What about the Nissan, what its' oil spec?

Charlie

ok. i tell you the stoy why i am confused about oil. i have 3 diesel SUVs.Toyota Prado 2.5L Diesel,Nissan patrol 4.2L Diesel and new Toyota Hilux Vigo 3.0l D4D.
i was using "Catex Delo Gold Multigrade SAE 15W-40 API CH-4,CG-4 CF/SJ. ACEA E3,E2" in my all 3 cars.
my Prado and Nissan is happy with Delo oil but Hilux vigo is not. there is a winter here. when i was starting my Vigo in morning i feel little knock at 1st start up and engine is also little bit noisy but after 10 mints engine become smoother. one day i brought caltex havoline fully synthetic 5w-30 sm/CF ACEA A1/B1.A5/B5 and before morning start up i chenged the oil and oil filter. There was no knocking.Engine was not noisy. so i feel that Dello is not suit to my Vigo D4D engine.

(My Nisaan Patrol oil spec is SAE 15W-40 API CH-4,CG-4)

Which part of the country do you live in?
If you definitely want to use a 5Wxx I'd use the 5W40 A3/B3/B4, as I've said before.

Charlie

If you definitely want to use a 5Wxx I'd use the 5W40 A3/B3/B4, as I've said before.

Charlie

I lived in Multan city, province punjab. In summer we have hot weather and in winter cold.
Can i use shell helix ultra 5w-40 for year-round driving?

If you drive year you'll only need to change once a year, then I'd use the 5W40 year around. However, living in the Punjab it gets VERY hot in the summer (you know better than I!!) and if you drive enough to change twice a year I might use a 15W40 in the summer April-October.
Most 5W40s designed for car engines have a 100C. viscosity ~13.0 cSt whereas most 15W40s are at 14.0 or higher, some up >15.0.
The 150C. HTHS of the Helix 5W40 is likely very close to 3.5cP whereas most 15W40s are around 4.3cP ~ 20% greater.

Charlie

Charlie

I lived in Multan city, province punjab. In summer we have hot weather and in winter cold.
Can i use shell helix ultra 5w-40 for year-round driving?

That sounds like a good choice for year-round driving. Since your owner's manual says the engine is OK with CF oil, the Shell Helix should work. One possible issue I can think of is sulfur in the diesel fuel. What is the maximum allowable content in Pakistan? High-sulfur diesel will deplete the TBN number quickly, so you may have to change oil more often to control corrosion.

yes sulfur is a main problem in diesel in Pakistan. Owner,s manual recommendation is Euro3 standard diesel for this D4D enginebut Euro3 diesel is not available here.

i like to change oil after 5000km not more then that due to havey dust.

helix ultra 5w-40 is good for summer? as summer is very hot here.
or in summer i can go back to dino, Delo 15w-40?

yes sulfur is a main problem in diesel in Pakistan. Owner,s manual recommendation is Euro3 standard diesel for this D4D enginebut Euro3 diesel is not available here.

i like to change oil after 5000km not more then that due to havey dust.

helix ultra 5w-40 is good for summer? as summer is very hot here.
or in summer i can go back to dino, Delo 15w-40?

High sulfur diesel will probably not be a problem if you are changing every 5000km.
Running Helix 5w40 in the winter, and Delo 15w40 in the summer sounds like a good plan.

However, living in the Punjab it gets VERY hot in the summer (you know better than I!!) and if you drive enough to change twice a year I might use a 15W40 in the summer April-October.
Most 5W40s designed for car engines have a 100C. viscosity ~13.0 cSt whereas most 15W40s are at 14.0 or higher, some up >15.0.
The 150C. HTHS of the Helix 5W40 is likely very close to 3.5cP whereas most 15W40s are around 4.3cP ~ 20% greater.

Charlie

yes we have very hot weather in summer.
Is helix ultra 5w-40 is ok for summer and better then Delo 15w-40 for summer use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back