24-HOURS OF DAYTONA

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 24-Hours of Daytona will be on Speed TV starting this Saturday, 1/29/11.

I will not be going this year as I have for the past two years. Should be a great race as always.

At work with no TV in the parts dept. Ive been working for the last 2 24 hours of Le Mans but I could find streaming video for that, not for the 24 at Daytona :-(.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I remember when Ken Miles and Lloyd Ruby won. Am I dating myself or what.

Had to comment on this one: I was at the Continental when Dan Gurney crossed the finish line on the starter motor.

Hounds, I don't remember that about Gurney. Do you remember the year and the circumstances. I was always a Gurney fan, as well as Ken Miles, Jim Clark, A.J., etc.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Originally Posted By: Johnny
I think it was 1962.

Yep, but he didn't use the starter.

The AUTOSPORT Bulletin Board - Gurney's '62 win at Daytona and other media myths

Dan Gurney's Lotus - Daytona 1962

Mr. Hunter: I have to say that I (humbly, oh so humbly) disagree with Dan's later account of the finish. (I know, I know -- but read on, please . . .)
(Quoted above):
"The Dan Gurney/Arciero Lotus 19/Daytona Continental 1962 finish has been discussed extensively on an earlier thread.

In this case it is not a "media" myth but a "Gurney" myth and it is unfortunate that Dave Despain prefers to play around with his elaborate headsets rather than contribute to the accuracy in motor racing history.

Gurney's Lotus 19 crossed the start/finish line straight as an arrow on its starter motor after the 3-Hour mark was reached, captured on film and in sequential photo coverage of the race. Only after passing the finish by a car's length did Gurney turn the wheel to let gravity take him to the infield. His chief mechanic Jerry Eisert confirmed the "starter motor" straight finish and after the race he had to show the suspicious officials that the blown Climax engine could still churn. If the car had not finished on its own power [whatever it was] it would have been disqualified.

It must have been a very tense moment for Gurney, who had to wait out the 3 Hour mark, but his lead over Rodriguez's Dino 246 and Hall's Chaparral was wide enough to make it happen, with the top three cars finishing on the same lap. Too bad Gurney's recollection of the finish is garbled and this has created another one of those myth.

WINO
"

I agree with WINO on this one, and post-race film confirms how the car finished the race. Dan's Lotus "walked" straight as a string across the finish line on the stater motor. It was only after Dan was at least a full car length past the finish line that he turned left to roll down the track to the infield. This was a significant post-race issue: The car had to finish under its own power, and Dan's Lotus sat on the track for at least two minutes while the clock ran down before he "powered" over the line using the car's starter motor.

I didn't mean to start something but it is an interesting story. I started following racing when I was a child but about 63 or 64 was the year. My all-time favorite was Gurney and Foyt's win at LeMans in 67. Two American icons at the height of their abilities. No one expected them to finish because they were both hard chargers. I read an account by Gurney that he did not know Foyt well when they were paired. He said that Foyt came to him and said that he considered Gurney to be the expert and would take any advice he could provide. Gurney suggested a max rpm for the motor that was a bit conservative and Foyt complied. I hope this story is true. If so, it shows a certain humility in Foyt that is attractive.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I was always a Gurney fan

I was a Gurney fan until... (I'm not allowed to say it on this here board.
lol.gif
)

Let's just say that someone should be ashamed of calling his team "All American Racers" <
mad.gif
at a certain point in time.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back