Can lubegard red hurt the transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started using it on both Elements as soon as I brought them home (so somewhere around 25 miles on the odometer). I do the Honda flush (three drain and fills) every 25-30K and on the third fill I add 8 oz of the Lubegard red.

I had a 98 Chevy 2500 with a 4L80 in it and all I ever did was every 25k or so I would drop the pan change the filter and add a bottle of lubegard red to it with 6 quarts of new fluid. I never flushed it or anything. I sold it to my neighbor with 182k on it and I pull a lot with that truck. It had the horse trailer hooked up to it all summer long, I would pull with it almost every day it shifted as good as it did new. He's still drivin it with close to 200k on the truck. Because of lubeguard? I don't know but I have it in my new Ford.

I've been using LG red in my Accord for awhile and it doesn't seem to hurt a thing. I just passed 101K on the original (problem prone) BAXA A/T and I credit the Magnafine filter and LG red for helping it along. I added the entire bottle last time I changed fluid and it didn't have any bad effect.

I am a strong believer in LG red.

I added 1 oz per quart Lubegard red to my car's transmissions. It seems to smooth out the hash shift 1-2 and 2-3 on my '94 LS400, the shifting on '00 E430 was smooth before and no improvement can be felt. I bought a large 32 oz bottle, I still have 16 oz left after 2 uses, I will add 1/2 oz per quart after 1 year or 15k miles. It costs only $20 plus shipping of $4 for a total of $24 to use in 2 cars for 3-4 years is not bad.

Originally Posted By: mez
where did you find it online for $20 bucks?

I bought it from Midway on Amazone.com, I also bought 2 bottle Engine Flush by LUBEGARD from the same seller, the total is $19.99 + 2($8.99) + $4.40 shipping = $42.37.

They shipped my order on the next day and I received it in 4-5 days in a very well protected package. I recommend this seller on Amazon for good price, fast and low shipping cost.

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
any cases where this additive harmed the transmission? want to check up before recommending to a friend.

his car is a 2006 honda accord i4 with the k24 engine. it shifts fine but mentions the shifts can be jerky at times.

The problem is that if one of these contaminants is used and the transmission consiquently suffers damage you have to PROVE that the damage is due to the use of the aftermarket contaminant. That is very difficult and the producers of these 'products' know it!

But, these contaminants make up for pathetic engineers at the automakers and their lowest budget barely performing ATF and AT.

Lubegard is one contaminant that I'd recommend.

The only harm is that your ATF and AT will last longer. They wouldn't want that to happen if the goal is to sell you a new car every few years, would they?

Best not to stick foreign objects in your Honda Transmission. Your friend should use only Honda Brand ATF.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I started using it on both Elements as soon as I brought them home (so somewhere around 25 miles on the odometer). I do the Honda flush (three drain and fills) every 25-30K and on the third fill I add 8 oz of the Lubegard red.
Originally Posted By: FZ1
Best not to stick foreign objects in your Honda Transmission. Your friend should use only Honda Brand ATF.

Johnny had been using Lubegard in his Elements since new without any problem.

Lubegard transmission additives seems to be working well for most who tried it, very few negative reviews that you can find on internet about Lubegard in general. The same can be said about engine oil additives Lubro Moly MOS2.

Not to bring the old thread, just wanted to share my experience with Lubegard Red.

My parents bought '95 Accord in 2003 with 52k miles. Transmission was shifting very, very harshly. Probably a previous owner didn't change a fluid or most likely changed it with the regular Dexron. At 54-55k miles I got tired of it and did 3 drain-fills with Z-1.

There were a lot of shavings on the magnet. I would say it was completely covered by it to a thickness of 1/8''.

Shifts became significantly smoother and better. After about 200 miles I've added a bottle of Lubegard Red to transmission (i.e. 3oz over the recommended value).

I know that Honda transmissions are picky to a fact that atf has to be changed at least every 2 years. Somehow, my father forgot to do a service and drove 40k miles on that fluid (3-3.5 years). And I must say that he used that car for a delivery service - constant city traffic, stop-and-go, a lot of shifts 1-4.

Then I leaned that he has 40k miles on the tranny fluid I changed it again with the single drain-fill. This time magnet drain plug had very little stuff on it. I was quite frankly very surprised by that fact. I would think that ATF was in service for only 15-20k miles, no more than that. Definitely not 40k.

After a single drain-fill with Z1. Shifts became smoother, but just a little bit. Which also surprised me. I was expecting more pronounced improvement in shifting.

One downside of adding lubegard is that ATF darkens significantly after few k miles. If regular ATF is light pink, ATF+Lubegard give dark-red, almost cherry like color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back