Any better ATV oil filters out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using WIX and FRAM as that is all I can find around here for my 2004 Kodiak 400. The beta for the WIX is not real impressive 2/20=13/52 and I can't seem to find any other number for competitor filters.

Ive been using Purolator Pureones car filters on my Polaris 700 Twin and 500 Sportsman and they work fine, so far no problems. Superior filters at a much cheaper price. I bought a case of Emgo or whatever they are called before I heard about using car filters and got the correct numbers, really though unless you are using your quad for work daily, you will change the oil long before the oil or filter ever wears out or fills up, even in a hostile enviroment.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Ive been using Purolator Pureones car filters on my Polaris 700 Twin and 500 Sportsman and they work fine, so far no problems. Superior filters at a much cheaper price. I bought a case of Emgo or whatever they are called before I heard about using car filters and got the correct numbers, really though unless you are using your quad for work daily, you will change the oil long before the oil or filter ever wears out or fills up, even in a hostile enviroment.

I wouldn't use them in an ATV. I saw on their web site a warning stating not to use Pure One oil filters in ATV's due to their high flow characteristics which is not compatible with ATV oil system. I love their filters in my truck thou.
I had the same delema with lack of choices for oil filter for ATV. I am not too found of Wix filters for ATV either. I recently bought a K&N ATV oil filter on Amazon cheaper than what I been paying for Wix at a local auto parts store. I haven't tried it out yet, but you can't go wrong with K&N filters, especially when they are that cheap!

Last edited:
Go on the purolator web site I am sure they make an ATV filter for your quad. I just found one for my Suzuki Eiger I ordered 2 on amazon $16 Shipped.

Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt
Go on the purolator web site I am sure they make an ATV filter for your quad. I just found one for my Suzuki Eiger I ordered 2 on amazon $16 Shipped.

Yes, they do make oil filters designed for ATV. You have to look under motorcycle filters, there is a link for ATV filters where it will display a oil filter chart for ATV's. They must be good too, but the problem for my application is that I can't find the darn thing any where. but I installed the K&N filter in my ATV this past weekend and I am very pleased with it. for less than $7 for a K&N oil filter, you can't go wrong. Go on their web site and find out your application number and buy it at Amazon for a good price and free shipping.

I've been using the K+N ones on my Polaris. Along with Mobil 1 5-40 Turbo Diesel Truck. It's a great combo here in South Florida. Holds up very well.

I used Honda for years in my 4X4 Rancher and then switched to K&N, synthetic media for almost the same price.

Ive been using a Pure One PL14612 on my 2005 Grizzly 660 for 3 years now and haven't had any issues with it. I am going to run an oil analysis next time I change it just to make sure I'm not starving the engine for oil but I'm sure it would've blown by now if there was an issue.

Check out this site for filter cross reference.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html
Be sure and read the story and get the caveat Purolator is throwing in there to get you to buy the motorcycle filter. I've always run automotive filters on my 2002 Prairie 650. Currently have a Wix and I'll be putting on a Pure One PL14610 when I change it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back