anyone running bridgestone Revo 2's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at new sneakers in 2-4 months prolly. I want to upgrade from the slick foreteras on there now with more AT grip, without a big increase in noise, and am not that worried about treadwear.

It's a 2wd. I do go off road but it's usually alone, so timid trails, lots of caution. I see mud fairly regularly if I need a quick stress relief on the drive home. And, I'll stop to pull folks out of the ditches, etc, when it rains here.

1/2" leveling kit up front, stock rims. Prolly gonna do 245/70s. It sees highway and the wife drives it too. So I don't want super aggressive.

Was considering:
Revo 2s
Bridgestone RVT/ D695
Dueler ATs
BFGs--- but dang they cost more than the bridgestones! might as well get michelin LTX in that price range.

Want to keep it in those options. Not interested in yokos, GYs, cooper, general. I've had execellent service out of the upper-end bridgestone and firestone tires in the past.

So-- the revos look good and the prices seem good--- and folks praise them. Only thing is, I've also read a lot of griping about b'stones losing their wet pavement grip for the last 1/2 of their life. if you've had them for a while, how are they holding up?

Thx!
Meep!!
jeep chero 3.7L 2wd

Last edited:
I had them on my cherokee, and they were awesome. However, as they started to wear down the became very noisey on the road. No uneven wear or anything, but very loud.

I'm at 20+ thousand on my Revos and still love them. Noise is a bit louder, wet traction still good as they were new. Wear is a bit uneven, but nothing over 1/32nd from either side. I've kept them at 38-39PSI most of their life so far. I really can't complain and they've been great tires.

I haven't looked closely at the Revo 2s.

I have not run the Revo 2 series but I have run many trucks with the original Revo's and they were great tires. Excellent on road in snow and ice and decent off road( muddy roads, boat ramps, etc... ). I don't do any serious off roading myself but seeing as you have a 2WD they certainly can handle anything you throw at it if you stay within the limitations of a 2WD. Tires won't save you if you go nuts without 4WD. I actually always felt the Revo was the best AT for a daily driver that sees some off road use. For more serious off road use the BFG TA KO is better.

If I was going to go out and buy an AT tire again for my truck I would probably go for the D695 as I just don't do any off roading. Muddy boat ramps and snow and ice covered roads and boat ramps are my issues to deal with. Everything I have read about them is positive. Revo like performance at a much lower price. They are being called Revo Jr's by many people.

I have the Dueler AT 695's on my truck. They have performed well in the snow and rain so far.

However, I haven't put enough miles on them to give you any ideas on the grip as they wear.

I looked at the Dueler Revos, but costco had the 695's for a price I couldn't turn down.

All I'm going to say, is I also own a 4x2 suv and do about what you do, lots of road use, but I'm not afraid to get into mild mud, pulling people out, etc...I've never been stuck anywhere with this truck, and we live down a 10 mile dirt road that turns to slippery mud in the summer rain's/ winter snow.

I've tried all the tires you're mentioning, in fact, I traded/sold back a near brand-new set of Revo's in for Goodyear's new Duratrac A/T tire.

The Revo's did not cut it for me, they're fantastic highway tire, but they couldn't make it down our 10 mile dirt road when it would turn to mud; I could only get 1/4 mile before they would just be so caked up. I would make it home, but it was never fun or easy, and the transmission had to work so much harder to clear the tires, cause they couldn't clear themselves.

I only had 6k miles on those Revo's, Discount tire bought them back and sold me the new Duratrac's....this truck is amazing now, actually does the road better then my 4x4 trucks do.

You couldn't give me another set of BFG's; been there, done that, they couldn't even get me down this road through the snow, forget mud.....they were horrible, never again.

I've ran Bridgestone/Firestone all my life, all different A/T tires that they've made...always had excellent results with them; they're just not made for where we live now.

The only tire they make that would begin to fair down our road is the Firestone destination mud tire....but I did not need, nor want a true mud tire.

That's where Goodyears new Duratrac comes into play; it's a hybrid between an all terrain and mud terrain, and it's very road friendly as well. I have not lost any mpg, in fact, I've gained 2mpg back from having the revo's on the truck.

I too also swore I'd never run Goodyear again; I had horrible experiences with their wrangler a/t tires; but I'm glad I gave them the chance again.

My 2 other trucks, a tacoma and cummins diesel are running Yokohama Geolander a/t 2's (Tacoma), and the other is running Revo's.....as soon as they both need new tires, they're getting the Duratrac's as well.

They're no more expensive then the Revo's were.

For a 4x2 suv/truck, one thing I've learned, they need a much more aggressive tire then your standard 4x4 truck, and they can do quite well as long as they have good bite.

As and end note, many feel the BFG's are better suited off road then the Revo's....NOT SO IMHO, my cummins diesel got stuck more times with the BFG's offroad then it ever has with the Revo's....keep in mind, my cummins is a 4x4...thus I definitely would NEVER dream of running BFG's on a 4x2.

Nice looking tire, but way too expensive for lack of wet capability IMHO.

Last edited:
Wow-- thanks for the great feedback. I will add the GYs into the equation and do some research!

Mike

I have them on the '06 Ram, they've been decent so far, if they're 1/2 as good as the first set of the original Revos I have-70,000 miles and counting on the GMC. As long as you're not looking for heavy mud-handling ability, I can't imagine a better A/T tire.

I spent waaay too much time reading tire reviews, survey results, weights, and even pricing. The Revo's were doing better in surveys, but the written complaints were more pronounced than the 695's. The 695's turned out to also be a bit more expensive. In fact, both tires also end up pricing cheaper if I go with a 70 series instead of the oem 65.

Local firestone shop ordered me the 70 series revos, which ened up being less costly than the 695's, and said if it doesn't feel right, they'll swap them for the 65s for only the difference in tire cost.

Works for me. I moved up the schedule after we had another rain and my wife got real nervous (wheelspin under normal acceleration, and I am a conservative driver).

Thanks for the feedback-- will let you know how it works out!

M

meep, I can relate to the researching. It's a big decision and it's hard to do a 'try before you buy' on tires. I know I spent a good week or 2 reviewing before I purchased any tire.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
meep, I can relate to the researching. It's a big decision and it's hard to do a 'try before you buy' on tires. I know I spent a good week or 2 reviewing before I purchased any tire.

I spent 6mnths reviewing tires before finally deciding...but I do that with everything....it can actually become a frustrating habit!

Maybe I should have quantified the hours spent in 2 weeks... I'd say about 20-25 hours reading and researching. That's pretty typical for anything I'm about to spend alot of money on or may be a safety issue.

I'm not sure how people can walk into a store and purchase things they know nothing about, especially tires. It's a strange and foreign thing to me.

i am running these revo 2 i have had about 10 k on them and they are great on try road and wet road but these are are horrible when they are cold they have no traction and vibrate. the snow traction is good

I pulled the trigger on the Revos. They were cheaper locally than the D695. I huge improvement over the forteras. at the moment, they are more quiet than the GYs, and certainly all traction is improved. as a 70 series instead of a 65, there's a little more give. But it's a jeep, and I drive nice and easy. Very happy with them. Hope they last.

additional. lines up with a lot of tire rack reviews. my mileage dropped a good bit. 21-22 normal average spring thru fall. 19-19.5 normal average winter. current average mpg somewhere around 18, corrected for slight difference in dia. aired up at 36 lbs cold.

can feel it's a heavier tire at the wheel.

it's just hard enough to roll that in [D] (5th) it rarely goes into lockup. I'm driving mostly in [4] which spends more time with the TC engaged. that itself got me out of 17.5 mpg territory back to 18. vehicle is clearly working harder to roll this tire.

It feels, however, much more substantial than the oem forteras. and I'm not skiing on wet roads.

M

i had a drop in MPG too OEN tires goodyear wrnagler sra winter MPG was around 14 MPG with the revo 2 its around 12

That's a 3.7L 2wd jeep and are you running 245/70's or 245/75's?

My Isuzu rodeo is only a 3.2L V6, and I was running 265/75 R16's..I didn't have any issues going into overdrive.

Truck never felt tire size difference from the previous 245's I ran on it prior to that.

How many ponies does that jeep put out...seriously.

When I had revo's in the 265's, I was averaging 19mpg city and 20-23 highway with the automatic transmission.

1st gen rodeo's are pretty heavy trucks too; I have 190hp in this engine, but it's also pushing 200k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back