Napa Gold vs Motorcraft FL1-a...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
...at least for some applications. The PL30001's dome-end bypass mechanism is, IMO, superior in every way to the Wix feed-end bypass.

Why is that?

I like the idea of having a small spring of a very consistent design acting on a small dedicated low-mass valve, rather than using the big spring that holds the filter element in place and having the whole filter element shift slightly to go into bypass. Just seems like a far more controlled and consistent way to mass-produce a relief valve. I also like the dome end location because it means that even in bypass, the oil passes through the big volume of the filter can and thus moves slowly so (theoretically) any big chunk will drop to the bottom of the can. The feed-end bypass moves the oil very quickly from inlet across to outlet- no stagnation time at all.

Yes, this is serious hair-splitting and they're both superb filters... but hey, this is BITOG. No hair left unsplit...

Last edited:
I remember a couple times grabbing a filter at Napa they asked me which filter I wanted for my Ford 460 motor since two part numbers came up for that. You can actually get a 2 qt filter. plenty of room for the extra length on the F-series trucks. Anyone doing this?

Wix part #51773.
(NAPA #1773)

The thread size and gasket size is the same, but the filter is almost twice as long.

"PARTS DETAIL
Principal Application: Ford Trucks, Massey-Ferguson Tractors, Oliver Tractors, VW Eurovan (93-95)
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 6.982
Outer Diameter Top: 3.663
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI: 290
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 32"

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Comparing the Wix 51515 to the FL1A is splitting hairs. Use whats easier to get or on sale.

The Walmart priced FL1-a is priced better here.... I'm learning alot on the forum! thanks... Just recently got the internet so I'm soaking all this great info in.... we had dial-up here for 15 yrs thus I never used the computer because of the aggravation. Just recently got DSL out here in the sticks so its opened up a whole new world. Cell phones out here aren't real great either.

Originally Posted By: mimelio
They swap points. PureONE filters a tad higher efficiency and has a little bigger filtering area. NAPA Gold (Wix) a better bypass

I disagree, at least for some applications. The PL30001's dome-end bypass mechanism is, IMO, superior in every way to the Wix feed-end bypass.

And just what makes you say that? Ford mandates UFV's on their applications.

I like the idea of having a small spring of a very consistent design acting on a small dedicated low-mass valve, rather than using the big spring that holds the filter element in place and having the whole filter element shift slightly to go into bypass. Just seems like a far more controlled and consistent way to mass-produce a relief valve. I also like the dome end location because it means that even in bypass, the oil passes through the big volume of the filter can and thus moves slowly so (theoretically) any big chunk will drop to the bottom of the can. The feed-end bypass moves the oil very quickly from inlet across to outlet- no stagnation time at all.

I don't know where you get your information from, but the element in a filter DOES NOT SHIFT when the bypass of oil has to happen. The UFV's are self contained units that contain their own spring and valve.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back