2011 6.7 Dodge Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new 2011 Dodge Ram and I'd like to know what brand of oil you Cummin's guys (Or Oil Experts) out there are using and which one(s)you would recommend. I'm thinking Full Synthetic as the OEM recommended oil change intervals are 7500 Miles which might be a stretch, if they're using Dino oil. Recommended Viscosity is 15W-40 but I can use 5W-40 as well.

I love 5w-40 oils, rotella syn or M1 TDT would be great. The difference is notable in my MB diesels compared to 15w-40 oils.

Hi.

Actually 7500 miles doesn't seem to be a stretch. HDEO, whether they are conventional or synthetic, are all IMO robust enough for that interval.

15W-40, you will find in conventional trim.

Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, Chevron Delo, Valvoline Blue, Castrol Tection, etc. they are all excellent.

5W-40, you will find in synthetic trim.

Rotella Synthetic is the only one that is easily accessible in Southern California where I live. However, Mobil does make a Delvac 1 which is a synthetic.

Good luck, have fun. Excellent engine. I also really like the Duramax Diesel from GM too. Excellent powertrain/drivetrain combination. I have yet to drive the 2011 cummins but it's sure it's as smooth as its predecessor.

Up in Canada, there is an excellent line of diesel oils produced by Petro-Canada. Duron-E is their CJ-4 oil for post-2007 engines. They make Duron-E synthetic in the 5w40 grade. They even have a 0w40 for low, low temps.

Last edited:
Interesting-my '06 5.9 manual specs 15K changes on DINO for non-severe service-I personally run 5W40 Mobil 1 TDT CJ-4 in it, but I would think any major mfr.'s full synthetic 5W40 CJ-4 would work fine-such as Rotella T6, Delo 400 LE, Mobil 1 TDT or Delvac 1, even Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme (which has Cummins' extended drain approval). I personally would keep an eye on fuel dilution, caused by washdown during DPF regeneration cycles. Does your new truck have a urea tank DPF system?

I would stick with the Cummins recommended Valvoline Premium Blue.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Does your new truck have a urea tank DPF system?

The urea and DPF are two different systems. The DPF traps the soot particles until they can be burned off (regen). The urea is injected into the exhaust to lower NOx emissions. Cummins only uses urea for their chassis cab applications but does have a DPF filter on all trucks.

The reason why I ask is "allegedly" the urea-based system uses less fuel on the regen cycles. Our company's Sprinters lost 4-5 MPG between the older 2.7 liter engines and the 3.0 liter newer DPF/no urea system.

Any oil that meets the CJ4 spec is great.
I would use whatever is available locally.

Because of your climate, I would definitely use the full synthetic 0w40 or 5w40 during the winter. Nothing wrong with the 15w40's during the summer and warmer months.

Are you sticking with recommended OCIs? installing bypass intervals? modding for power? working the truck? driving how many miles a year? DPF delete time?

The engine is nearly indestructible as long as it is full of oil. I would research the other issues with that truck family. We see lots of rust on Dodge's around here. Consider rustproofing. And, ULSD is not the best pump/injector lube. So, add a diesel lubricant at every fillup. And, don't forget anti-gel if its not in your fuel already as you wouldn't want to be stranded over something silly like gel. Did Dodge finally get their steering issue right? Good like with the emissions system!

The owners manual recommends 15W-40 as long as the temp doesn't go below -18C (0 Degrees F) and it never gets that cold up here. The coldest it gets is maybe -5C at the most, although if I decide to take a trip to the cold part of the country, 5W-40 would be my choice.
Yes, I'm sticking with the recommended OCI's(7500 Miles).
No bypass intervals(Yet), No modding for power,Truck will be mostly a DD with some work, Don't know how many miles a year at this point, probably 10,000, Once I can find a tuner that leaves no trace in the trucks computer, I'd like to do the DPF delete. Apparently if you do a mod, the truck computer remembers it, even if it's deleted so if/when you go in for warranty work and they see these codes and your problem is related to one of your mods they will not honor the warranty.
Definitely going to rustproof the truck. Diesel lubricant & antigel are a good idea(Any Recommendations). Steering issues are better but I'm adding a steering brace anyway. This is my first Cummins so it's going to be a bit of an adventure. Thanks for the post

Originally Posted By: Burbanite

Diesel lubricant & antigel are a good idea(Any Recommendations).

I read just last week (can't find it now) that Canadian govt. was going to implement a 2% bio-diesel requirement in diesel fuel. This will eliminate the need for a lubricant (B2 is 'slipperier' than B0 with any commercial lube additives).

Dave

You might also check with a local oil supplier for products. I have a Cummins ISX and am using a 50% synthetic blend CJ-4 under the supplier's label, delivered to my house at $9 a gallon cost. The engine usually runs around 145,000 miles a year, gets 30,000 mile OCI's, and now has roughly 671,000 miles on it. Last UOA on the oil at just under 30,000 miles was 11 ppm on iron, 2 ppm on lead, .1 on soot. Using a bypass filter on it as well. For extreme cold when the engine sits, I have a heater pad on the oil pan and block heater. Always has started great even down to -28F on a 15w40 oil. Since engine and oil start out warm, no need for a 0w40 or 5w40. Even if using a lighter oil, a heater pad on the pan is cheap and easy to install. Engine warms up faster. Got hooked on using them when I lived in Alaska for 10 years.

For winter fuel treatment, I have become partial over the last two winters to Amsoil's Diesel Concentrate plus Cold Flow Improver. I have had some better results from it than the Power Service, Howe's Lubricator, and FPPF I used before in the winter, especially when fuel sits in the cold for a while. Not a case study, for sure, just anecdotal.

go to your cummins dealer. get brochure cf-2134, and cf-2272. edit: in diesel fuel dont use reg mmo, they have a diesel addative different product

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: morris
go to your cummins dealer. get brochure cf-2134, and cf-2272. edit: in diesel fuel dont use reg mmo, they have a diesel addative different product

Could you elaborate in english.

Valvoline Extreme Blue Diesel oil 5w40 weight change when your manual tells you to. This oil is endorsed by the engine manufacture. In Canada, the 5w40 will be a nice grade to use.

PowerService diesel fuel additive year round at each fill up will do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back