How do i get LubroMoly MOS2 out of my gearbox??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I recently used LubroMoly MoS2 Anti-Friction for gears in my manual transmission gear box. However, it proved to be too slippery and the synchros could not engage correctly resulting in very hard shifting. As soon as I noticed the effect it had, I dumped the gear oil and replaced it with pure GL-4 (no additives). However, the transmission is still acting in the same way. I put the Mos2 in on a Saturday and I noticed the effects on the following Wednesday. So that means the chemicals had 4 days to plate the metal. So now I see that I have to either wait till the film wears off (if it does) or I have to get it out somehow. My question is, how on earth do I get this stuff off of the parts and out of my gear box??

My suggestion would be to find a transmission flush and follow the directions, and be prepared to replace your fluid several more times. Perhaps you should check out the Amsoil website, there are some sponsors here on BITOG that could probably help you out with some fast shipping.

The LubroMoly has plated EVERYTHING including cooler and cooler lines. You are going to have to get all that out before it starts to function properly. I would stick with cheap fluid until it starts to function properly.

BTW, what are you driving? Perhaps someone else can help you out if you provide more details.

I drive an '06 Audi A4 2.0T. I also wanted to make sure....this stuff won't "HURT" my transmission, will it?

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
My suggestion would be to find a transmission flush and follow the directions, and be prepared to replace your fluid several more times. Perhaps you should check out the Amsoil website, there are some sponsors here on BITOG that could probably help you out with some fast shipping.

The LubroMoly has plated EVERYTHING including cooler and cooler lines. You are going to have to get all that out before it starts to function properly. I would stick with cheap fluid until it starts to function properly.

BTW, what are you driving? Perhaps someone else can help you out if you provide more details.

He has a manual transmission. Getting rid of the moly on the syncros could be tough. If it was mine, (although I would be smart enough not to think I know more than the design engineers and use something that wasn't a recommended lube) I would change the fluid a few times and hope that normal use would remove the moly from the face of the syncros.

Good luck. That stuff sticks to just about any metal surface and does not come off easily... Good luck flushing it out. I would only use Lubromoly in an engine.

MoSo2 has sulfur which makes it stick to metals - it actually is a chemical process.

I heard that to get it completely off, you have to grind it off.

Flushes are your best reasonable bet.

What to use? Tough call. I'd use ATF and a solvent with easy driving - keep the loads down!

Last edited:
It should grind itself off with all those bad shifts.

Since a change will never get all the old fluid out, you still have a ton of moly floating around in there. Performing a couple more drain/refills over the next few months should help remove it.

Might want to use different gear oils like Redline MT90 and Amsoil MTG. Each one would clean a little differently. You could also AutoRX it or Lubeguard it. Different esters may assist in removal.

3 or 4 changes and driving few miles with each change will get it out. Just use the lowest cost fluid, or even motor oi for the flushes.

:nopanic:

It may take a week or three, but you'll get there.

Yes, Moly competes with the correct MT friction modifiers.

As others have suggested, drain, refill, drive 500 miles, drain, refill, etc.

Last edited:
delmed 83 - BTW, I was tempted to use moly in a manual transaxle myself. It promised certain advantages, and would have helped in some areas.
I was scared off by knowing about the synchros.

next time read the instructions....

use 15W-40 or 10W-40 and do what molakule suggested
some Redline Shockproof might help buff the gears clean?

I can't believe places sell this stuff. Just like ECS Tuning, they have GL-5 "gear oil" sold as MTF. Guess which brand...LLubroMoly.

Since it's mid-winter, just run some non friction modified ATF, like Dex 6 or Mobil 1. Supertech Dex 6 is like $4. It should help with the shifts. The oem fluid is very thin.

Try to use the minimum effort on the syncros by rev-matching....just push on the lever lightly as the revs spool down, clutch in.

hehe.. i dug this thread up from the grave when researching MoS2 in trannys.

So you agree it shouldnt be put in a GL4?

also ive been meaning to send ECS an email about them listing that GL5 fluid for GL4 transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back