5.4 milk under oil cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
my 5.4 3v has milky stuff under the oil cap, now i always assumed this isn't that big of a deal since its the coolest place on the engine and condensation forms etc. but my question is since my week consists of 6 miles to work 6 back and every Friday i do a 40 ish mile drive for fun and to warm the fluids up shouldn't there really be no condensation forming at all since im heating things up real good? would it be better if i drove on the highway instead of around town?

I drive 35 miles twice a day to/from work and still get a little of that stuff on my fill cap too. Completely different vehicle but still, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'd suggest you check the PCV system to make sure all is okay there.

If you check the dipstick, everything looks normal there?

Bill

I have a 5.4L Ford also. They all do this because of the long filler neck. Don't worry about it.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
I have a 5.4L Ford also. They all do this because of the long filler neck. Don't worry about it.

Exactly. Mine does it too.

Don't worry about it.

I guess I'm lucky the only fill cap I've ever seen that milky goo under is my snow blower's fill cap.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I guess I'm lucky the only fill cap I've ever seen that milky goo under is my snow blower's fill cap.

I'm really surprised your 4.9L doesn't do it. My 300 I6 was the worst for it out of all the vehicles I've owned.

Originally Posted By: swirlparanoid
my 5.4 3v has milky stuff under the oil cap, now i always assumed this isn't that big of a deal since its the coolest place on the engine and condensation forms etc. but my question is since my week consists of 6 miles to work 6 back and every Friday i do a 40 ish mile drive for fun and to warm the fluids up shouldn't there really be no condensation forming at all since im heating things up real good? would it be better if i drove on the highway instead of around town?

dont freak out mine does the same thing. and on really cold days (18) its still there after i get to work.(70 mile drive) just wipe it out with a rag and go on. its not a pcv issue, that was my first thought, but mine is good. its just because its 4 inches above the engine and oil is not splashed up there

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I'm really surprised your 4.9L doesn't do it. My 300 I6 was the worst for it out of all the vehicles I've owned.

Honestly it doesn't have any goo, and the fill tube for the oil is pretty long. It is as clean as a whistle as far down as I can see. Even the threads and base of the oil cap are spotless. Maybe that annoying stumble I can't get rid of [YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!] is keeping it clean. LOL J/K

As far as the snow blower, it has to work at WOT for about 45 minutes to an hour, depending on temps to clear that goo.

Maybe you don't drive the I6 hard enough then? LOL!

I drive the *bleep* out of my stuff when they are good and warm. And they all do it. Maybe that's the lost connection
wink.gif

Being under the fill cap which is kind of out of the way is not the best indicator on what the rest of the engine looks like.

The only time I've ever seen the "milk" under my oil fill cap is when I've done short trips.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
The only time I've ever seen the "milk" under my oil fill cap is when I've done short trips.

Where do you live again? LOL! It was -22F here this AM.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Where do you live again? LOL! It was -22F here this AM.

South of the Mason Dixon...
grin.gif

This same question pops up every year with a cold snap. Short answer is its normal so long as the oil on the dipstick looks fine. Just a product of the location of the cap.

My '99 F150 with the 4.6 has done this every year for the last 12 years in the cold winter months (mainly January which is cold), and at 192,000 miles runs like a top.

Wipe the goo off and move on...

Originally Posted By: Nick R
4.6L in our expedition does this too. It is because the filler neck is what, 6 inches long?

Yup!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back