M1 SuperSyn 5W30 at 7700 miles in Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda Accord 99, 2.3L, 52500 miles, 7700 miles using Mobil-1 SuperSyn, 5W30 wilth Militec oil additive. Used K&N air filter and Honda OEM oil filter (made by Fram).

Al 4
Cr 1
Fe 9
Cu 10
Pb 8
Ti 1
Mo 67
Ni 0
Mn 1
Potassium 2
Boron 87
Si 13
Sodium 8
Ca 2456
Magnesium 30
Phosporus 728
Zink 898
Ba 0

Viscosity @ 210F 58.9
Flashpoint, F 375

Sorry, accidently pressed "post"

Fuel % Antifreeze 0.0
Water 0.0
Insolubles 0.3

Great results! It's nice to see that the SuperSyn 5w30 doesn't thin out like TriSynthetic did, this oil is still at 10.0cst after almost 8k!

I always wonder why the flashpoint on used oil analysis is so much lower than advertised though. Do they use a different rating system? Because 375 is quite a bit lower than the advertised 455F!

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
Do we have a virgin smaple of the Militic somewhere? What did it contribute to the additive package results?

As far as I know main component is Mo - 67 is quite more than average provided (37). I added 6 Oz for 4.5 quarts or oil.

Spector
According to Militec and a contact I have in Brazil it is undetectable in oil after 'doing it's job'. Mercedes Benz required mucho testing before they would allow dealers to sell it in Sth America. Readily available everywhere in U.S maybe Terry could test some?

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Shurak,

What were your driving conditions and how much oil was added during the 7700 mile interval?

Driving conditions - I would say mixed city-highway (some highway, some goig in traffic) 50/50 with my wife - I drive hard shee drives easy. Oil used all the summer (mid april - end of september) in central NJ with temperatures sometimes around 90. A/C almost all the time. Top speed 80-90 about 30% of time at 3000-3500 RPM, occasional going to redline.

Oil added - remaining 1/2 quart (after initial 4.5 quarts) at 5-5.5 thousands on oil (just after about hottest days).

I checked on mobil website - they recommend to use 10W30 at summer - will do that next time - may reduce oil make-up.

Thanks Shurak,

Pretty good numbers, especially if you look at the wear per 1,000 miles.

All wear metals under 1.25 ppm/1k.

I run SS but prefer the 10W30 and have seen very low wear rates. evaporation or volatility is very low on the 10W30.

Just wanted to update good people on this board which helped me a lot with reading material
smile.gif

I still have this car, hit 200K miles last week. Following advice from first oil analysis I switched to extended drain intervals, between 8 and 12K, usually annually in the fall. Used Mobil 1 5W30 found cheap in W-mart, starting from about 100K - mostly High Mileage. Filter is Purolator, air filter - still the same K&N cleaned few times since then. Mostly city driving.

The car still goes strong, was able to keep 100 MPH at 5th recently staying on the tail of some sppedy bimmer. Oil consumption was steady 1 qt/year till it hit 190K miles or so and oil started leaking out a bit around distributor. Since last oil change in September I had to add oil twice already, 1/2 qt each, not really sure what the reason for that, cold be valve guide seals too.

I actually bought 2011 Sienna, we use for long trips but handling is so ugly I still prefer Accord for all local driving and commuting. Having extra car and being old clunker worth probably less than $1K I am not afraid to do all kind of repairs on it, like welding broken exhaust pipe (still original), TB, struts in all 4 corners (originals were not that bad), bushings, oil seals on transmission, axle. Lots of fun. Since I keep the records, in last 10 years from 100K this car costed me $4.5K including everything except gas and insurance. That includes TB at 105K and clutch somewhere around 130K professionally made since I was not brave enough to do it myself back then.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Yeah, 13 years later, "Here I am". Nice.

Is not the whole point of these oil discussions in the durability of engine? I think feedback from the engine running that oil for 200K miles has to mean something.

Thanks Shurak,

I love reading this type of post that shows long term results.

Just remember that Mobil 1 has changed formulas many times since 2002 so you really have used different oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back