brakes delaminated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving into work, turning off the main road I stabbed my brakes to test for iciness. Pedal dropped to the floor and RF wheel started growling. I finished the stop with the e-brake and parked at work.

Stabbed the pedal a few times and eventually it firmed back up! I thought for sure I had blown something hydraulic. Light of day came and I wasn't losing fluid.

Called wife, she brought a jack and tools and some extra brake pads.

This is what I found:

nobrakes2.jpg

nobrakes1.jpg

On the passenger side 90% of the lining just took off for points unknown. (7 o clock in these pictures.) Stabbing the pedal bent the metal backing against what was left of the lining. The brakes had felt ever so slightly spongy for a week or so, and I thought it might be time for a bleed and rear drum tightening, and front pin lubing.

Having fixed one side on a "smoke break" I drove home and did the other side to match, clean and lube the pins, and do a proper bed in of these sporty Hawk pads. (Thanks Critic for the deal alert!)

Taking the 2nd side apart both linings seperated from their backings as well! One of the linings was riding just on the outside edge of the rotor for a while as well. They looked great through the examination hole in my caliper!
mad.gif

I drive sanely and have had this car more than 7 years and never done front pads. Probably 40% lining remaining... but the glue had no life left!

This is not even the first time this has happened to me, my motorcycle drum brakes had the linings spinning round and round but were still getting sufficiently sandwiched for activation!

Forget worrying about asbestos, where is everyone getting this lousy glue??!?!
crazy2.gif

Same thing happened to my emergency brake pads recently. I was thinking it might be a combination of the cold and lots of moisture lately. Maybe some water got in there in and froze in some openings at night, prying the pads loose?

I had a pair of Hawk pads delam,But they weren't rusted half as bad.Just really between the friction material and the steel.It had 2 dimples though that kept the material in place.
Just fell apart when i took them apart to clean and lube pins.

moisture+ winter road salt will creep into cracks (assuming that there are crevices between the metal backing and the friction material to be bonded, which is very common) causing them to delaminate.

Q.

An engineering rule of thumb is that rust takes up twice as much room as steel.

So once the rust starts creeping between the lining and the steel, it's going to start pulling at the adhesive.

Only ever seen one pad ever come apart....nothing like that.

Hmm, in a chicken-and-egg thing, if the glue is so great, how come water got in between pad and backing to start rust in there? Yes it's my 95 saturn SW1. Previous owner had work done at chain tire stores mostly so who knows what brand was used.

Just FYI, when my emergency brake shoes delaminated I discovered it because periodically a piece of the shoe would jam in place, causing one of the rear wheels to drag and skip. Luckily it first happened on a dry road, though it was at high speed. On an icy road it wouldn't have been fun.

They feel like stock pads when they're cold, which is about all the time, except for my bedding adventure. Try bedding when it's 8'F out, haha!

Though I'm psyched if I ever do any extreme mountain driving things can only get better.

Do they use asphalt or salt to pave those Maine roads?

I've replaced pads because of excessive rust. Does Maine have a safety inspection?

I fully support expiration dates on tires. Looks like we need to add pads/shoes to the list. 5yrs!!!

BTW, I've never had brakes last more than 2 years. So, I don't have to worry about it.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Does Maine have a safety inspection?

Yeah we do and it just took a sticker last month and I myself have a technician license. So two sets of eyeballs just looked at it, mine when I put snow tires on. But I just looked at them through the caliper, not taking stuff apart.

Update: It's 2 1/2 years later and one of these Hawk pads that were new at the time of this experience this experience delaminated! What junk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back