How to remove RTV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to remove RTV from intake gasket (spacer). So I would like to remove rtv stuff w/o making an scratch. How I do it n what do I needed?

Originally Posted By: Rohan
I want to remove RTV from intake gasket (spacer). So I would like to remove rtv stuff w/o making an scratch. How I do it n what do I needed?

I believe they make a spray that you put on for a few minutes and it turns the RTV into something that you can just wipe off, it is probably called RTV Sealant Remover, you might want to check out your local auto parts store, I did pick some up at NAPA.

You'll want to use a razor blade to get the bulk of it off before using the spray, from my experience in the past with the spray it only takes off a very fine layer at a time.

Originally Posted By: mkIIIman089
You'll want to use a razor blade to get the bulk of it off before using the spray, from my experience in the past with the spray it only takes off a very fine layer at a time.

+1, forgot to mention that.

I use paint thinner which seems to break it down after a little while. It seems to soften it and gets it to detach from the metal.
Probably other things out there that work better, but it's what has worked for me over the years.

Prep sol (the solvent that you use just before painting) works...

At least it works getting it off paint.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Toluene.

Pretty concise there. (I believe you.)
Could you elaborate? (I want to tuck this tid-bit away for later use.)
Toluene is available through Mcmaster-Carr and not priced to bad for a quart.

If I used razor blade then won't I scratch my gasket? If is does I be [censored].

Go to your local hardware joint and get a pint/quart of toluene, put some chemical gloves on, pour some on a rag and rub.

A sharp scraper or razor type of scraper first.
Actually second. First, mask off and otherwise protect the engine internals from getting particulate matter ingested!
A wire wheel or scotchbrite on a rotary tool works well, and is fast. You can use an air tool or a drill.

why do you use rtv? i have found permatex #2 to do anything i need. felpro will NOT warranty any gaskets that has rtv on it.

If I used razor blade then won't I scratch my gasket? If is does I be [censored].

Go to your local hardware joint and get a pint/quart of toluene, put some chemical gloves on, pour some on a rag and rub.

Buy a bottle of Draino along with it and you'll get some funny looks.

Originally Posted By: morris
why do you use rtv? i have found permatex #2 to do anything i need. felpro will NOT warranty any gaskets that has rtv on it.

I have nwpengineering spacer n is said to used rtv n my [censored] mechanic [censored] up my gasket so I'm trying to clean it n put it back in there.

Thank I'll go tommor n buy the stuff. I hope home depot have them.

Permatex makes an auto rtv remover I believe. Toluene is bad stuff for living things. Who knows, maybe it is in the permatex. It is amazing what we can still buy in hardware stores, solvents that have been banned in many settings, due to their high rate of causing cancer, and easy absorption into the body. Carb cleaner is pretty nasty stuff also, and cheap.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Permatex makes an auto rtv remover I believe. Toluene is bad stuff for living things. Who knows, maybe it is in the permatex. It is amazing what we can still buy in hardware stores, solvents that have been banned in many settings, due to their high rate of causing cancer, and easy absorption into the body. Carb cleaner is pretty nasty stuff also, and cheap.

No connection between toluene and cancer, just to be clear. Use it outdoors - VERY FLAMMABLE!! Certainly wear gloves, goggles and don't slosh the stuff all over the place and everything will be OK.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/t3913.htm

I was knocking all such solvents we can buy at the store not just your recommendation. Using your link to the msds I wouldn't say toluene is something to play with. I used it in the lab sometimes but then they said no, only in protected areas and ways, fume hood etc. Trichloroethylene cleaned great, widely used, and then later they said, lo and behold, it does cause cancer.

I use these things like everyone, but there is a risk, we think so or not. When a study shows no good correlation to cancer, etc, whatever, I say put a "not yet" at the end of that statement.

I understand and I agree mostly. Everything has a risk. I use acetone from time to time. Definitely outdoors in a clear area, on concrete pad with necessary protective gear. If you don't have such a space then better not use it.

Water has killed many people. Cars have killed many people. Heck back in the day when people thought the new car smell was great, I said (as a kid) "smells like it will give you cancer!", so I'm not some chemical solvent nut. The worst I swear are some new carpets and pads - WOW - open the windows and don't enter for a few months!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back