New 2011 Ford Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,new guy here. Been working in LV for 5 years now, and just bought a new 2011 Ford Focus; nice little (mid-sized?) car. It was $3,000 less than the Fiesta, and I could not say no. Happy with it. I was told:
1. To change the 5W-20 factory fill ASAP, because it's too thin, and to remove the break-in metal filings from the engine.
2. Use 10W-30 or 5W-30 in the desert! - There's simply no winter in Las Vegas, and it gets to 110F in the summer. Lose the 5w-20.
3. Use synthetic or semi-synthetic, and change 6 months/5,000 Miles. Rotella "T6" 10W-30, or Pennzoil 10W-30.
4. Wife took control of our 2007 Hyundai Accent, 50K miles.
That car has been 10W-30 Supertech Synthetic orPennzoil 5w-30 since the start, and runs like new.

You were told wrong. 5W-20 will work just fine in your new Focus, even in LV. It will also keep warranty hassles to minimum.

Trust us - don't listen to what you are being told!

Until it's out of warranty I would recommend sticking with whatever oil Ford recommends, which I believe is the Motorcraft 5W-20. A lot of folks on here love the MC 5W-20 in their Fords. Or choose something like Mobil 1 5W-20 for a bit more protection. After that, feel free to experiment. Rotella T6 is 5W-40, which would be too heavy for the Focus. T5 comes in a 10W-30 flavor, but I think I would stick to auto oriented oils for the Focus.

Last edited:
You really do not need a syn oil. Syn oils are for extended oil change intervals there is no advantage running syn oils at 5,000 mile intervals unless you live in the subartic. I always change the oil soon in a new engine for whay you posted. I also at 5,000 miles or a bit more change the trans /diff fluids in my vehicles. I changed my daughters 2010 Focus engine oil at 1000 miles and just did the auto trans oil and filter at 5,000 miles. the Focus sure seems like a wonderful car

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Follow the manual's advice, not the dealer's...

Agree for the most part. I would do an early change out though. Id just use MC 5w-20, or else a syn of the user's choice. Keep records/receipts.

Originally Posted By: VegasDan
Okay, Motorcraft it is.

It can usually be found at WalMart for a very good price.

Good call on the 10W-30; Ford probably totally forgot about Nevada, Arizona, Texas and New Mexico when evaluating oil suitability.
lol.gif

You can see what I use in both Duratechs. But whatever oil you choose I would stick with 5-20 or 0-20.

Besides the correct oil, I'd use a Motorcraft filter as well. I also believe in the early oil change on the new engine. Glitter show.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Good call on the 10W-30; Ford probably totally forgot about Nevada, Arizona, Texas and New Mexico when evaluating oil suitability.
lol.gif

And those makers who spec 5-30 or 10-30, have forgotten about Minnesota, New York, and Maine?
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Ford probably totally forgot about Nevada, Arizona, Texas and New Mexico when evaluating oil suitability.
lol.gif

One of Ford's North American Proving Grounds is located near Phoenix (Wittmann, a former Volvo hot weather testing facility).

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Motorcraft 5W-20 and a Motorcraft filter and you are good to go for the next xxx,xxx miles.

+1
thumbsup2.gif
can not go wrong with this

was made for 5w-20

use watever 5-20 u want maybe prettiest color bottle ? beige, Edge maybe. or just MC

i would leave in new oil at for 3k cuz i think ford adds special aditives for break in..i have a 07 focus that runs great and gets 37mpg w/ a 5 speed and it doesnt burn any oil after 71k...thx for bying a focus, i work at a company that makes trans seal for them...i have used syn quite a bit because i am anal and cold weather

The latest info I have is Ford doesnt use special additives (Other than the left over assembly lube) in new engines. Based on what I found when I changed the oil at 1000 miles on my 2011 5.0 I see absolutely no reason not to let the breakin oil go 2500-3000 miles. Their was very little in the way of break-in material even after straining it through a white cotton cloth. Just the slightest amount of gray powder similar to graphite in consistency.

Concur with MC 5W20 and MC Filter.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Besides the correct oil, I'd use a Motorcraft filter as well. I also believe in the early oil change on the new engine. Glitter show.

X2
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
You were told wrong. 5W-20 will work just fine in your new Focus, even in LV. It will also keep warranty hassles to minimum.

Trust us - don't listen to what you are being told!

+1! Ford did plenty of testing with 5W20 and it is fine for your engine even in Vegas. I do agree with changing the FF early to get wear metals out, but many people have left it in for a full OCI with no reported problems. Do what ever makes you happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back