Used a good finetooth ratchet for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used my SK Tuff 1 fine tooth ratchet for the first time, and was about blown away by how much of a joy to use it was. The ratchet went back very easily, engaged instantly, and kept ratcheting until the nut was removed. I've never had a ratchet do that before. I see why fine-tooth ratchets have such a following.

I bought my 3/8 set from Wesrtern Auto in 1965, and the ratchet back clicks easier than Craftsman,or most all of the big names in tools today. I still have the complete set I purchased 46 years ago.

I just cleaned all my ratchets and used Amsoil 15w-40 oil on them. They run smooth now.......

1/4-3/4 inch sizes. Could not get a little Craftsman 1/4 back together though. It's weird because it should go together without any problems. It came in a 1/4 kit and is not the top of the line, but I have an extra one as back up.

Having the fine tooth helps in tight situations. Sometimes I'm praying for a single tooth to engage on a tight fastener with no room........

I have fine-tooth ratchets from most everyone,Sk,MATCO,MAC,Snap-on,,the SK,is actually sturdier than the rest of them,,probably cost half as much and hasnt slipped yet.Now,,this is the only problem I've had with the fine tooth,,, you CANNOT,,put to much torque on them,,which is OK,,you just break the nut or bolt loose with something else,,but I've gotton in a hurry before and used one to break and exhaust bolt loose and stripped the gears,,and that was a Snap-on ratchet,,course,,I got a new replacement,,but my knuckles,,Snapon didn't have a return policy for them,,but I can tell you this,,I have NEVER had the SK's give me any problems.I do like my SK's

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So is that the best one? Would you recommend it? US made?

I'm not sure it's the BEST one out there. It is very good in the very limited use I've had with it. I'd recommend it, with the caveat that I don't have a lot of experience with it besides using it for 5 minutes unbolting some easy to loosen bolts.

It is indeed made here in the USA.

There are two different types of ratchets being talked about. The first is the round head, fine tooth similar to the "spinner" type from Snap-on and others as well as the SK and craftsman. On that style of ratchet, the teeth are machined into the ratchet body. The SK, Snap-on and Williams ratchets are well know for running smooth in those styles.

The pear head fine tooth ratchets are represented by the 80 series Snap-on and 88 series Matco (and the new 84 tooth Craftsman). They are very smooth and offer a strong ratchet that will last a long time with the added advantage of the entire gear set being replaced when it comes time for a re-build.

The round heads will need to be replaced when the gears strip or wear out although the pawls can be replaced.

I just bought one of the new 3/8" 84-tooth Craftsman. I am very impressed so far. Their regular ratchets seem to have really gone downhill over the past few years, but this is a very high quality tool in my opinion (with a high price to match of course.)

Originally Posted By: Sunstealer
I just bought one of the new 3/8" 84-tooth Craftsman. I am very impressed so far. Their regular ratchets seem to have really gone downhill over the past few years, but this is a very high quality tool in my opinion (with a high price to match of course.)

is it the one with the metal direction lever? If so, I just got one too and it is very good.

I wonder about the ratchets that has no clicking at all. It's smooth on the reverse direction, then just grabs in the forward direction. Instead if having a sq. dr., it has a hex opening and the sockets have a hex base to attach to the ratchet.
So no clicking. Step-less action or whatever they call it.
To reverse direction, remove the socket an attach it on the other side of the ratchet.
Weird but smooth as butter.

sciphi,

I don't know how you feel about HF tools but if are not "allergic" to them, try their composite ratchet, at an obscene price of 799 cents. It has 72 teeth, very smooth and very lightweight.
image_1764.jpg

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I just cleaned all my ratchets and used Amsoil 15w-40 oil on them. They run smooth now.......

And you now have the added satisfaction of knowing the oil you used to lube the ratchet will pass the 4-click wear test!!
crackmeup2.gif

beaker60Now said:
I disagree with this. I used my Snap-On 1/4" fine tooth ratchet to rebuild the turbo on my truck a few weeks ago, since I could only find a 1/4 drive 5/16" 12 point socket. I used a 2 ft cheater with a hammer to break loose the bolts(12 or so of them) and thought for SURE I was gonna break the ratchet, it never skipped a beat. I was bragging to my SO guy about it and he agreed that they are holding up better than the older coarse tooth ratchets, and that he warranty's way fewer of them.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
sciphi,

I don't know how you feel about HF tools but if are not "allergic" to them, try their composite ratchet, at an obscene price of 799 cents. It has 72 teeth, very smooth and very lightweight.

- Vikas

image_4187.jpg

This goofy extendable one also has nice tooth action and it's surprisingly handy to stretch the handle to just the right length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back