Fords TSB Against Installing a Magnefine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not get back with the parts manager and find out which TSB, and better, if he has a copy of it you could scan or a link you could post?

Theres no TSB, there was a notice to dealers that inline filters would not be provided with reman trans assemblies anymore. The filters were provided so prevent contamination from debris still in the cooler or cooler lines. They now say to either replace the cooler and flush the lines, or completely flush and backflush the cooling system with the Rotunda heated fluid flusher

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Theres no TSB, there was a notice to dealers that inline filters would not be provided with reman trans assemblies anymore.

This was my understanding as well. Feel free to install it. (assuming it's installed correctly) The filter will do no harm.

This should save you a phone call. Note its a Special Service Message, not a TSB.

OASIS SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGE NUMBER: 21035
MESSAGE TITLE: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION INLINE FLUID FILTER ELIMINATED AND NO LONGER REQUIRED AFTER INTERNAL TRANSMISSION REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES :
2009 - 2010 TRUCK : 00016 E-SERIES
2009 - 2010 TRUCK : 00134 EXPLORER 4DR
2009 - 2010 TRUCK : 00110 EXPLORER
2009 - 2010 TRUCK : 00029 F-SERIES LD
2009 - 2010 TRUCK : 00028 F-SERIES
2009 TRUCK : 00175 F-SERIES MOTORHOME/COMMERCIAL
2009 - 2010 TRUCK : 00070 MOUNTAINEER
2009 - 2010 CAR : 00071 MUSTANG
2009 - 2010 TRUCK : 00081 RANGER
2009 - 2010 CAR : 00094 TOWN CAR
2009 HEAVY TRUCK : 00168 LOW CAB FORWARD

OASIS MESSAGE :
2009-UP FORD/LINCOLN/MERCURY VEHICLES INSTALLATION OF INLINE TRANSMISSION FLUID
FILTER/KIT IS NO LONGER REQUIRED WITH TRANSMISSION OVERHAUL OR REMAN TRANS
ASSEMBLIES. ENGINEERING TESTS HAVE DETERMINED THE INLINE TRANSMISSION FLUID
FILTER IS INEFFECTIVE AND WILL NO LONGER BE INCLUDED WITH REMAN TRANSMISSION
ASSEMBLIES. THE INSTALLATION OF THIS FILTER HAS SHOWN TO INCREASE THE POTENTIAL
OF TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAKS AT THE INLINE FILTER CLAMP CONNECTIONS AND
COMPROMISING THE INTEGRITY OF THE FLUID COOLER LINE AND THE INTERNAL INLINE
FILTER BYPASS HAS BEEN SHOWN TO BE INEFFECTIVE. IF THE TRANSMISSION TURBO HEATED
COOLER LINE FLUSHER(OR EQUIVALENT)IS NOT UTILIZED, PLEASE FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDED
PROCEDURES IN THE APPROPRIATE VEHICLE WSM. FOLLOW SERVICE PROCEDURE IN SECTION
307-01 TRANSMISSION FLUID COOLER BACKFLUSHING AND CLEANING.

APPLICABLE SYMPTOM CODES :
500000 DRIVELINE
504000 DRIVELINE OTHER AUTO TRANS CONCERNS
590000 DRIVELINE PUBLICATION REVISIONS/UPDATES
890000 PUBLICATION CHANGES

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Whats this about the bypass being ineffective?

+1
Very interesting...

36.gif

Magnafine recommends 30K filter changes and it's possible that many people are not changing them on their reman Fords. This probably would cause an ineffective bypass.
I'm still a Magnafine fan and will continue to use them BUT they must be changed every few years.

PS: I am very disappointed by the quality and types of aftermarket hose clamps avaiable. I wish I could find 'fuel injector' type clamps in bigger sizes. Worm clamps loosen after time in my experience.

I have a feeling people were getting lazy, not replacing the external tranny cooler and/or not doing a proper flush. They probably figured the "filter would take care of it". As a result there were more failures, this only insures a proper job is being done. JMO

Originally Posted By: pbm

PS: I am very disappointed by the quality and types of aftermarket hose clamps avaiable. I wish I could find 'fuel injector' type clamps in bigger sizes. Worm clamps loosen after time in my experience.

Ideal makes fuel injector clamps up to 9/16th, which should take care of transmission lines?

If for some reason you need a bigger clamp than that, or if you want the fanciest clamps available for your heater hoses, check out these clamps. They're available from 11/16" all the way up to 12".

ENGINEERING TESTS HAVE DETERMINED THE INLINE TRANSMISSION FLUID FILTER IS INEFFECTIVE
This is the part that worries me. Are they actually saying that Magnefine filters are useless?

Or is it as others mentioned that the filter isn't changed at an appropriate interval and clogging up?

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
ENGINEERING TESTS HAVE DETERMINED THE INLINE TRANSMISSION FLUID FILTER IS INEFFECTIVE
This is the part that worries me. Are they actually saying that Magnefine filters are useless?

Or is it as others mentioned that the filter isn't changed at an appropriate interval and clogging up?

No idea, I'm just relaying info. If I had to guess, I think they are not being changed and getting clogged up. I sell a fair amount of the kits, but hardly ever sell a refill.

I agree with bdcardinal, getting people to do just the minimum maintenance is tough enough without adding something else to the list.

When I took a magnefine apart, the bypass is was a simple plate in the middle of the cartridge with a spring behind it.......very little force needed to move the plate to the open position.

My guess on the "ineffective" comment is that FORD is looking at it from a return issue.......in other words, was the filter "effective" at reducing early life failures of the remanufactured transmissions.
A magnefine filter will not repair a clogged or restricted in-radiator transmission cooler.....which, from reading the TSB's for my '96 windstar......is what FORD seems to have found to be the major contributor to remanufactured transmissions.

The common failure point in transmissions for the windstar seemed to be around 100K miles.
From that point, how many folks keep their vehicle for another 100K miles (like I did)?
Then, the next owner does not even know the magnefine filter is there.

Originally Posted By: wiswind
My guess on the "ineffective" comment is that FORD is looking at it from a return issue.......in other words, was the filter "effective" at reducing early life failures of the remanufactured transmissions.
After reading your comment I tend to agree. I was thinking like a consumer, not like a vendor.

The Magnefines I get from Napa have a Raybestos label on them and say to change them every year or 10,000 miles. I would think that running a magnefine for 30,000 and who knows how many years may be the issue, but I still wonder about the Engineering tests showing the bypass being ineffective. What would cause the bypass not to work?

Back in '98 or '99, I had both my PS pump and AT replaced by the dealer under warranty. They did install inline filters on both. But, at that time, no-one could give me PN or change intervals. Clueless service and parts department was a little annoyed. It was a 'lifetime filter'.

There are particle count UOAs comparing the fluid with and without the filter. Ford is pretty silly to say its ineffective. Typical goofy tech writers and engineers creating fear via TSB. The procedure has changed doesn't mean that the previous was ineffective. But, they'll create fear and add to the anti-filter scare crowd. Obviously what Ford meant to say, is that their catastrophic transmission failures require more than just a filter. The techs weren't cleaning the ATF coolers or properly removing the old, loaded with wear, ATF. A machine was created so that the tech can work without thinking. Connect and push button. Sit back and say oooo aaaahhhh!

I don't know how Ford can now claim the inline filters they have been offering for more than a decade are suddenly "ineffective" or "unreliable" because their own qualification tests from the '90s and early 2000s, copies of which I have, say differently. The Magnefines passed some very stringent qualification tests with flying colors. Suddenly, they don't?

I have "heard" that Ford switched to another vendor/brand of inline filter (there are similar types being made by others manufacturers, Filtran included). I wonder if these comments are being directed to those units? If the Magnefines have slipped in their quality, I'll want to know. "Vendor politics" sometimes plays a part in this too but I'll research this a little and report back.

I'm curious if anyone has found any more information on this topic?
I just changed a Magnefine on my 91 F250 and it had been installed for a couple of years with around 8K miles on it. I wondered if the used magnefine caused any restriction to the cooler line flow so I tested my thought at work. At the shop I work at we have a BG Transmission flush machine that you hook up to a cooler line and start the vehicle and the transmission does the pumping of fluid and the BG machine just has a tank with a bladder that takes in old oil and puts out new oil. The machine has two hoses and one hose of the machine receives cooler line flow and the other hose discharges new ATF when you move the Flush valve. Until you move the valve the oil just bypass the flush tank and flows through a flow meter with a white background so you can see the condition of the ATF and also see the flow rate of the cooler circuit. I hooked the machine up with the old magnefine still installed and noticed the flow rate, then I removed the magnefine and ran the truck with no magnefine installed and I did not see any change in the cooler line flow rate from before when I had the old magnefine installed.
So I wonder what is ineffective about these filters? I did not see any difference in the flow of oil from an old magnefine compared to the flow of oil with no magnefine installed on a cooler line.

I believe that Ford has determined from their studies that transmission failures may lead to significant amounts of contaminants to reside in the fluid lines and trans cooler plates. The installation of a remanufactured transmission requires the removal of these contaminants. This makes the Magnefine or any other inline filter with a small load capacity "ineffective" in preventing these contaminants from entering the rebuilt transmission. A loaded up filter (in this case, the Magnefine ~ 4 RVOP) will go into bypass too soon which makes the filter "ineffective" at preventing contamination of the "new" transmission. Also, Ford wants to minimize any warranty issues and the installation of the inline filter in Ford's view is a risk (compromised fluid lines). It is better to get rid of the contamination by "hot turbo flushing" the lines and installing a new cooler.

In the non-remanufactured/everyday additional ATF filtration scenario, I believe the Magnefine/Wix 58964 is fine if replaced according to schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back