Dino vs synthetic for cold starts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Beagle2000
A block heater will do more good for your engine than any sythetic oil!!!! I lived in Winnipeg where the typical winter morning is -20c to -45c and have never run synthetic in any of my cars. Waste of money for most drivers IMO.
Use a good quality dino based on manufacturers specifications and a good block heater and your vehicle will have zero starting or oil pressure worries.

Until they come up with some way to send electricity wirelessly to my block heater plug (for those times I'm not at home), I'll stick to synthetic AND the block heater.

+1
Nice and toasty -40f below this morning here in northern Minnesota.
Glad I did not have to go anywhere and could leave the minivan with the blockheater and 0W20 Mobil 1 undisturbed in the garage.

Good Day,
Steven

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bamaro
If you have any doubt, try the freezer comparison test. It will make a believer out of you.

I did that yesterday. I couldn't believe how thick the oil got @ 0*F

How bout 50,000 cP at -25F vs 50 at 100deg F. Definitely Honey like and getting near Grease consistency. 0F is a cakewalk. Some Arctic "real" synthetic 95% PAO oil is good to flow at -65, but --40C/F should work for most of us not seeing temps regularly below -20F.

Originally Posted By: Beagle2000
A block heater will do more good for your engine than any sythetic oil!!!!

Not every place you park will have electricity available.

In '94, I went out to start 2 cars, both Sentras, an '89 and a '90. It was -22F. It rarely gets below -5, but this was record breaking for the area. Both cars had M1, and both started easliy. Up and down the street, no other cars would start.

I have heard from a few mechanic friends that synthetic does help in cold climates for easier starting and warm up times. Dont know for sure but I would believe it as its probably a little thinner and slippier. Just my thought

No "believe" about it. Synthetic flows better than conventional oil and that's a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back