Broken Mac ratchet. PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local Mac tools guy wont repair or replace it. He claims that Mac tools wont reimburse him if he does and hes "Not going to eat it". were his exact words.

Looks like I'm done buying Mac tools since they wont warranty them.

0121011813.jpg

Originally Posted By: justinf89
Isn't it lifetime warranty? Contact mac themself and tell them about this guy, I bet you get a shiny new one
Nope. Here is where they get you.
They do not tell you what the expected life is.

"Mac Tools warrants any of its manufactured products for the expected life of the product against deficiency in material or workmanship"

so how long was the pipe you had on it ?
smile.gif

Seriously , I'd be [censored] too and if this Mac dealer had half a brain I think he would be pushing for a replacement for you instead of blowing you off like that . The other thing he could do is give you a deal or eat part of the cost just to keep a customer happy . One event like that in a shop will turn a lot of the mechanics off buying .

I will add that when I was wrenching it I didn't buy too many Mac , I was mostly Snap-off as I liked the dealer . One thing that Snap-on didn't cover with their ratchets was if you busted a tooth , you would have to pay for the repair . The dealer I had always did that for me free and he pushed for you if things fell into a gray area .

Last edited:
That sharp corner in the fork does look like it would break under some force. I think most are made like that. A little radius in there would make it stronger I believe, but am no expert. That isn't a very good warranty for the user. That particular tool may have had a microcrack or something,in the fork corner, although they should inspect them all for the price charged.
Sears is hard to compete with on the warranty. I hope they can continue to sell tools in the future. They will if people keep buying them and not run to HF first.
One thing about Sears, is when they, say, get 100 of those flex ratchet forks returned, they will likely get the manufacturer to improve something. But if Mac ignores the customer, they will just keep making the same thing that has a flaw. That makes sense to me at least.

How much does that ratchet cost from Mac?
How much does the equivalent ratchet cost from Sears? (with a REAL warranty)

I would 'give' the ratchet back to the dealer either for a replacement, or in such a way he would not be able to sit in his van.

Originally Posted By: expat
How much does that ratchet cost from Mac?
How much does the equivalent ratchet cost from Sears? (with a REAL warranty)

I would 'give' the ratchet back to the dealer either for a replacement, or in such a way he would not be able to sit in his van.
List is $120. The handle is available for $56.

The handle is very narrow where it broke.

This ratchet has never been abused, never had a pipe on it for added leverage.

I had an issue with a Mac tool last year. Sent a tool in to be fixed and it got lost in the mail between Mac and the tool guy that sent it in. He offered me another at a 10% discount which I refused. I ended up buying a cheapo one at HF which has already out lasted the Mac one that failed.

So this is the 2nd time that Mac has pulled something over on me. I'm done with Mac from now on.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
$33 from Sears.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944835000P?prdNo=12&blockNo=12&blockType=G12

Nice! Plus, if that sucker ever breaks you can just walk in with it and walk out with a replacement. In more than twenty years, I've only had to take advantage of the Craftsman warranty two, or perhaps three, times. At no time was I asked so much as a single question about how the tool broke. They just said to grab another one off the rack and wished me a nice day! Now that's what I call a warranty.

getting tired of people lying and screwing others. Like you could not find the warranty online like tig1 did, and call you Mac guy on it? Better idea is to get some RTV, and stick the F'in thing to his windshield-nice constant reminder. $120 for a single hand-tool is not cheap. To me it is a privilege to be able to afford what should have been a nice tool. Paying high price, not getting quality expected, and being lied to-1-2-3 you are out drill. And so now OP goes to another brand made in China. I cannot blame him this is a perfect example of what is happening in American manufacturing and service.

Sorry about the rant, but I buy Craftsman because that is what I can afford> Mac was one of the tool mfr's. I looked forward to getting when I had more $$$> I will go buy Kobalt and Craftsman and be happy with my existence.

RShunter,
All of you on here that have had Craftsman tools break, and had a no hassle free replacement, Either A) My dad is unlucky when it comes to tools, or I don't know what. about 5 years ago My dad took a Craftsman wrench to sears after it flared out, and the guy at the counter said "It wasn't broken." My dad told him yeah it was It's no longer a 7/16 wrench. Thats the last craftsman he ever bought. Sears also srewed my parents when they would not honor their warranty on a 7 month old washer and dryer. Sigh.

Who knows, maybe it's just a matter of store or individual salesman. All I can say is that I've never had the slightest problem. Based on my experience with them, if I need a tool and Craftsman makes it, Sears gets my business.

In fact, I just remembered what the third return was that I wasn't sure about. I had a pair of Craftsman branded mechanic's gloves. The material on the fingertips had worn through. I took them in to ask if they thought it was the material or if it might have been something I'd got on them. When they saw them, they (once again) told me to go grab another pair. Like I said before, that's what I call a warranty! I wasn't even expecting a free replacement, either...

Sears has also been great with me, I use their clear plastic screwdrivers for hot wire testing, and pry bars, and chisels, and punches, the tool guys know me by name lol. [censored] while fixing the focus I got angry and threw my flex head craftsman ratchet across the yard and found it last week, all rusty and full of dirt and they gave me a new one. Of course I'd never throw any of my snap on tools across the yard.

Send it into Mac yourself. I've never even tried to mess with a dealer. They've always replaced everything I've sent in.

Here's what it says on the website:

http://www.mactools.com/CustomerService/WarrantyReturns/tabid/68/Default.aspx

Quote:
Warranty Returns (for purchases made from our Web Store and from Distributors)

Products are covered under various warranty periods. Mac Tools warranties products through our distributors. If you currently are not serviced by a distributor, you can return your Mac Tools items for warranty to:

Consumer Warranty Returns Department
Mac Tools
4380 Old Roberts Road
Columbus, Ohio 43228

Your return will be evaluated and items that fall within our warranty will be replaced. Allow 2 to 3 weeks for processing and replacement. To ensure your return reaches us and that we have all information needed to warranty your items, please provide the following:

1. Put a list of the tools inside the carton.

2. Put your name, address and phone number inside the carton.
a. Phone Numbers are required
b. A Physical Address is required (no PO Box)

3. Keep a copy of your tracking number and a list of items sent back.

4. Mac Tools encourages you to insure the package for the replacement value of the tools.

Items that have failed under our warranty will be replaced.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
$33 from Sears.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944835000P?prdNo=12&blockNo=12&blockType=G12

I have this exact ratchet and it is my favorite 3/8" piece. I have had it for years and it gets used hard. Never skipped a beat. I had a similar one from Snap-On that the spring for the ball dentent broke and the head wojuld flop around. Warranty was denied because it was "abused" I was told. How exactly could I abuse a spring that is completely inaccesible?

Last Snap-On product I ever bought. I have never, ever had a problem returning Craftsman tools and there have been very few instances that I have broken one in the last 25+ years. I will continue to buy Craftsman whenever possible, especially as most of their hand tools are still made in the USA.

Originally Posted By: 97prizm

RShunter,
All of you on here that have had Craftsman tools break, and had a no hassle free replacement, Either A) My dad is unlucky when it comes to tools, or I don't know what. about 5 years ago My dad took a Craftsman wrench to sears after it flared out, and the guy at the counter said "It wasn't broken." My dad told him yeah it was It's no longer a 7/16 wrench. Thats the last craftsman he ever bought. Sears also srewed my parents when they would not honor their warranty on a 7 month old washer and dryer. Sigh.

The beauty of Sears is that if you go into a store for a warranty replacement and don't get the answer you want, go to another store. Example: I had a Craftsman ratchet that stripped out. Took it to the store, they said it was abused (it wasn't, if you can't take out a spark plug with a 3/8' ratchet, what good is it?) Went down to Sears Hardware and walked out with a brand new ratchet. Unfortunately, warranty redemption is only as good as the person behind the counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back