What abour ratchets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The screwdriver thread really helped me out.

Now I need to know about ratchets. I looked at some Snap-ons,but can't justify $75+ for a single ratchet.

I've read more than once that the new Craftsmans are junk. For a guy that doesn't use them to make a living,and wants something nicer than the Taskforce and Powerbilt he has now,are they really that bad?

Sears had a nice 3 pc set of polished pear head ratchets for $60 IIRC.

I love my Stahlwille ratchets. But I also love my Snap-Ons. Personally, I wouldn't cheap out on my ratchets, sockets, wrenches, or screwdrivers. After that, cheaper tools might make sense, depending on what the job is. But a good 'core' is important.

robetr

lol! craftsman is junk? say that again?

I've been living (both as f/t mech and now only p/t) on craftsman tools for 2 decades and only broke a 3/8" rachet once.

Q.

Last edited:
All my tools are Craftsman except a few two cutting pliers and a hammer. All wrenches, sockets, and drivers are in 1/2 inch. Never had a problem with Craftsman. Then again I haven't bought anything from them in the last 2-3 years.

I dropped $43 on an SK Tuff 1 fine-tooth 3/8" ratchet. Well worth it. The action is very light, the head is tiny (round-head ratchet), and very good machining. No quick-release, though.

Compared to the brand-new Craftsman coarse-tooth raised-panels I got with a new tool set, it's night and day better. The ratchets are already regarded as disposable. The action is very rough, the machining is the same, and the quick-release feels very flimsy. If one breaks, then it's fine by me.

Originally Posted By: robertcope
I love my Stahlwille ratchets. But I also love my Snap-Ons. Personally, I wouldn't cheap out on my ratchets, sockets, wrenches, or screwdrivers. After that, cheaper tools might make sense, depending on what the job is. But a good 'core' is important.

robetr

Agreed Robert.

We are far too quick as consumers to support the manufacturing of junk. Be it tools or consumer items, the purchase of these items enforces the mantra of the disposable society. And then we [censored] and complain that everything is being manufactured off-shore and is of sub-par quality.

Tools are an investment. Most of my tools are three generations old, many of them are Snap-On.

I recently purchased two new ratchets: a 3/8ths and a 1/4". Both are Snap-On.

I'll never have to replace them. And when I'm too old to use them, one of my sons will get them. Just like I got my grandfather's tools.

As a society, we need to drop this "disposable mindset". And that means shying away from purchases you know support this mantra, no matter how easy it is to support the idea of buying the $6.00 ratchet "because it is cheap".

I'll gladly spend $80.00 on a Snap-On ratchet that will last me the next 50 years until I can't use it anymore. Viewed in that light, and compared to what we spend on our cars.... on oil. Compared to what we spend on eating out, what we spend on electronics. Compared to all these things.... $80.00 for a ratchet that will out-live you is not a lot of money.

Man alive, is that what tools are selling for nowadays

I'm glad I bought most of my tools back in the '60's and '70's. I know folks claim there wasn't that much money back then when prices were "better", but hey I ordered a new 72 Corvette speced out the way I wanted it and paid cash, so ya there was some money around.

$80 bucks for a ratchet, WOW!

I have a couple pretty recent Craftsman ratchets, a 1/4 and a 1/2" They have the black lever and pear shape. They are perfect in every way I can see, smooth, strong, fine, USA, etc etc. It is hard to read things so far off like they are "junk" or "disposable", and not say something to the contrary. Maybe they are buying counterfeits.

I have plenty of other quality USA made ratchets, SK, Snap On, Armstrong, others I forget, and don't see one is really better than the other so much, including the pear shape Craftsman. I have SK I bought new from the 60's, so am no kid. But to each his own opinion, I have mine too.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I have a couple pretty recent Craftsman ratchets, a 1/4 and a 1/2" They have the black lever and pear shape. They are perfect in every way I can see, smooth, strong, fine, USA, etc etc. It is hard to read things so far off like they are "junk" or "disposable", and not say something to the contrary.

I couldn't agree more. My raised panel/pear head Craftsman ratchets are great. Clean 'em once in a while and regrease (I used Valvoline Synpower moly-fortified synthetic grease) and they're smoov like butter.

I also went through to clean & grease all the ratchets at work... I'm appalled at how noisy & notchy some of the SK, Proto, Matco & Snap-On ratchets are, even after relubing!

craftsmans got a really nice full polist, with metal direction lever for 30 bucks. Lifetime warranty and fine tooth. US made aswell, great for a home user.

Originally Posted By: defektes
craftsmans got a really nice full polist, with metal direction lever for 30 bucks. Lifetime warranty and fine tooth. US made aswell, great for a home user.

While these sound like they're worth a look, I personally dislike full polish tools. When my hands are covered in oil the textured as-forged, sandblasted or other 'industrial' finish gives me better grip & control.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I've got an old Husky for a 3/8ths. When they were still made in USA. Decent tool.

That is what I have too. Works really well and never busted my knuckles.

Personally I don't cheap out on ratchets, sockets, or wrenches (to many busted knuckles). Anything else I'll buy at Harbor Freight.

the garagejournal.com website reviews ratchets. almost all of mine are craftsman.

however, the duralast brand as well as the newer taiwanese pittsburg pro from harbor freight have gotten very positive reviews recently. in fact, many guys at garagejournal think a few of these asian makes have surpassed the lower end craftsman offerings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ajchien
the garagejournal.com website reviews ratchets

I got very tired of the 'if it aint Snap-On, it's JUNK' attitude about all tools - especially ratchets - on TGJ and rarely visit there anymore.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Originally Posted By: ajchien
the garagejournal.com website reviews ratchets

I got very tired of the 'if it aint Snap-On, it's JUNK' attitude about all tools - especially ratchets - on TGJ and rarely visit there anymore.

You must not have been there for a while. Most of us "buy American" guys get banned when we say anything about the Asian imports that are sold as Pittsburg, Durolast, Grip, etc. If you don't "rah rah" the imports that "are just as good as Snap-on" you can get shut down in a hurry. I happen to like Snap-on, Matco, Armstrong, Williams and SK for my ratchets as well as my older Mac's. If you don't want to buy or read about them, fine. Everyone has their opinion about tools, what they consider a "value", what feels good to their hand, shiny chrome or satin and a multitude of other likes and dislikes go into making a choice of a tool purchase.

Tools are just like everything else in life, they are subject to opinion and are no different than oil, cars, firearms, paint or anything else you purchase. There will always be ardent supporters of brands on the extreme ends of the spectrum with the majority of the people somewhere in the middle.

For you Craftsman fans, last fall they came out with their new premium ratchets. 84 tooth, meant to compete with the truck brands. They are expensive, but less than the truck brands. Hopefully, they will go on sale someday. They are getting general good reviews on the tool forums.
Craftsman-Premium-Ratchets.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GeorgiaHybrid
You must not have been there for a while. Most of us "buy American" guys get banned when we say anything about the Asian imports that are sold as Pittsburg, Durolast, Grip, etc. If you don't "rah rah" the imports that "are just as good as Snap-on" you can get shut down in a hurry. I happen to like Snap-on, Matco, Armstrong, Williams and SK for my ratchets as well as my older Mac's. If you don't want to buy or read about them, fine. Everyone has their opinion about tools, what they consider a "value", what feels good to their hand, shiny chrome or satin and a multitude of other likes and dislikes go into making a choice of a tool purchase.

Indeed, today was the first time I've logged on in a long, long time. My issue was not with bashing imports, but bashing domestics as being total junk compared to the almighty Snap-On. And it really appeared to me that 95% of the people doing so only collected tools and never used 'em.
21.gif

Well, I think any forum will provide good info. It's up to the reader to make an informed decision. I got bashed a little recently there for choose a USA raised panel craftsman flex head ratchet over the Taiwanese duralast flex head ratchet. Granted, according to most on the GJ forum, the import Duralast is a much better made ratchet - better looks, better chrome, better feel, stronger, better made. But it didn't have 2 features I personally wanted - a quick release button, and a locking flex head. And even though the Duralast held up much better on torque tests than the craftsman (200+ ft lbs vs 80 ft lbs before breaking), I thought that 80 ft pounds was probably beyond what I would personally use the ratchet for. The more info the better.

From my best paraphrasing of the GJ general thoughts, it's that the polished teardrop thin profile ratchets and the premium ratchets from craftsman are very good. It's the raised panel ones that are falling out of favor, as some imports are outperforming the lowest USA craftsman line.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
I looked at some Snap-ons,but can't justify $75+ for a single ratchet.

I'm almost certain that you have something in your household that I could say the same thing about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back