2.2L Ecotec startup noise/rattle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have about 95K on my 2007 HHR and it has been one of the best cars I have owned...only issues have been the bearings on the front going out within 5k miles of each other, both covered under GM's 100k warranty and the wiper "tranny" croaked at around 90k...not covered but a 240 bucks doable for the amount of miles I have on the car.

I want to say at about 75K miles or so the engine developed this rattle or loud noise that lasts about 2 seconds after you start the car and then it stops.

Haven't thought much of it until I was looking around the forums and I saw some threads on timing chain rattle and bad timing chains on Ecotecs....

Anyone with an Ecotec have a similar issue? Sounds like a combination rattle/buzz/brrrr noise for about 2 seconds. Warranty is up in 5K so would like to get it fixed before then if it is indeed an issue.

I guess it could be a number of things but the timing chain is sort of stuck in my head now

Goose

Take it to the dealer to at least document the rattle, so if it is the timing chain, it'll be fixed if it fails just after the warranty expires.

It could be a thousand different things, but generally whenever I've had startup rattle issues, it was due to using a less than stellar oil filter OR the oil pump pickup having particles stuck in it.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Take it to the dealer to at least document the rattle, so if it is the timing chain, it'll be fixed if it fails just after the warranty expires.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
It could be a thousand different things, but generally whenever I've had startup rattle issues, it was due to using a less than stellar oil filter OR the oil pump pickup having particles stuck in it.

Dealer visit probably in order...gdeezie, do you have a ecotec? Seems like this noise did start right after an oil change...Ecotec used a cartridge filter..have never had any issues with different ones I've used. Oil pump pickup.....it does sound like a dry start maybe? Would that fall under that Oil pump pickup?

Goose

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Might need an adjustment.

What type of (oil)filter are you using?

All I run are Ecotecs...

I've used Supertechs, Frams, Delco's Purolaters....funny thing is a lot of the filters look like they were all made in the same plant in Bulgaria....the Supertechs change a bit though...the one I have in my hand now is Made in the US

Goose

Not a fan of the fram/ST filter...the only time I used one in my Cobalt, it made a noise at startup nearly every time. That filter didn't last a whole OCI.

I tend to stick with the Delcos/P1s with mine...

I've had this happen, and it does vary with the filter used. Was the worst with a Wix cartridge for me. It's also worse if the car sits for a few days. I believe the timing chain has a hydralic tensioner, which I assume take a few seconds to pressurize.

I have an 03 ion with the ecotec. Mine has 71k miles. The sound would go away with the older style Hengst filters that Gm was shipping when you bought a cap/filter combo.

Now, they went and changed the Hengst filter again within the past couple years, and even the Hengst filter is causing a rattle when the car is first started in the morning.

I have seen on other forums that switching to a 5w20 motor oil has gotten rid of the noise. Even though 5w20 is not approved for this application, I don't see any harm in doing so.

I might try my next fill with 5w20 SN motorcraft. Those 5 quart jugs from walmart are a very good deal.

If you have an older ecotec like I do, then you need to replace the cap with the updated model. I forget which model year comes with the updated cap factory installed, but my 03 did not have it.

I'll have to report back with my 5w20 experiment, but I'm not changing oil until springtime. It was 2 degrees here in Buffalo today, FML
smile.gif

I would change the oil filter first, they are cheap anyways.

If the noise persists, and its under warranty, bring it to the dealer stat. It could easily be the timing chain tensioner or guides, or associated timing hardware. And you'd definitely want to catch that before any damage occurs (read: interference engine).

If its out of the warranty period, I'd be taking the valve cover off and inspecting the timing chain for slack.
My Ecotec (very strongly knocking on wood) doesnt make any noise during cold startup (and Ive started it up -15f!).

For sure bring it in!

But it may be an improper or faulty oil filter [bad anti drainback system].
Too thick oil may also do this - it can't flow quick enough at cold start up to fill things.

Maybe just a bit of wear in a hydraulic lifter.

But bring it in with your symptoms, not a diagnosis.

Thanks for the advice guys.....could be the filter but like I said above, the Delco, Fram and others that say made in bulgaria all look like they came off of the same assembly line lol...with the Super Tech it is a mixed bag on what you are gonna get...I've had China, Korea, Bulgaria and the USA all stamped on them

The more I listen to it it does sound like some sort of a dry start..like a brrrrrrrrrrr and then stops...I know pretty bad impression lol

I'll make an appointment and like mech said, I'll just let them listen to the noise and I won't add my 2 cents (unless they say oh that's normal) Wasn't normal for the first 3 years I owned it!

Always have run 5W30 various flavors..right now Valvoline Maxlife as will be the next 3 changes (13.50 for a 5 quart jug at Wally)

Goose

My 2007 Cobalt Ecotec 2.2L rattled on EVERY cold startup, from brand-new on. Never had an issue with it in the 2.5yrs / 34Kmi I owned it other than a weird transmission issue that an updated reflash fixed and control arm bushings going out around 30Kmi. All zero cost to me. It was a good little car.

Joel

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I don't see how a different CARTRIDGE filter that has no ADBV would solve a start-up rattle...

I have a bunch of these filters on hand. If you look at the nipple at the bottom end of the filter cartride, they are different sizes between brands. That nipple and the rubber gasket around it are what keep the oil in the canister at shut down and in effect act as the ADBV. I think the smaller of these nipples allow the oil to seap back into the sump. I have noticed differences in start up noise between filters in my 2.2.

I'll have to pull some of them out and put a caliper to them. But to the naked eye, some appear to be a bigger diameter than others.

LS2JSTS, let us know what you find out.

All I have put in mine has been Wix so I have no comparison but I will say that I find it to be a generally noisy engine. It does seem to make slightly more noise at start up now that it is cold though. As far as the anti-drain back, I don't recall ever seeing much oil in the filter housing when I open it up, so how can you tell if it's working or not?

Anyone using or has used the K&N? Comparison?

Next time you change your oil, open the fill cap but leave the filter housing screwed down. Drain all your oil from the sump, drain it very well, till it just drips...then open the filter housing and you will see oil flow out of the canister and into the sump. If the nipple and O-ring are holding oil in the canister, at least a cup of oil will flow out.

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Have about 95K on my 2007 HHR and it has been one of the best cars I have owned...only issues have been the bearings on the front going out within 5k miles of each other, both covered under GM's 100k warranty and the wiper "tranny" croaked at around 90k...not covered but a 240 bucks doable for the amount of miles I have on the car.

I want to say at about 75K miles or so the engine developed this rattle or loud noise that lasts about 2 seconds after you start the car and then it stops.

Haven't thought much of it until I was looking around the forums and I saw some threads on timing chain rattle and bad timing chains on Ecotecs....

Anyone with an Ecotec have a similar issue? Sounds like a combination rattle/buzz/brrrr noise for about 2 seconds. Warranty is up in 5K so would like to get it fixed before then if it is indeed an issue.

I guess it could be a number of things but the timing chain is sort of stuck in my head now

Goose

I know my aunt had an 03 cavalier with 150k miles on it or so and the timing chain tensioner let go and it went kablooey. I might get it checked out just to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back