Silkolene 10w-40 disappoints

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree

I'm surprised the poor result of the silkolene, Motul has a product of the same base oil, its their high end competetition oil wihich eludes me right now. They both smell like bannas.

The main difference Motuls is loaded with moly.

why does this level of base oil need all the moly?

Maybe the silk results have somthing to do with it, as it has vitual low moly compared to 500 ppm range of motul. I would like to see another test on it

Last edited:
what I noticed is your doing relatively short intervals and the numbers arent great.

Are you running this bike offroad alot?

Id run the 15w40's

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
what I noticed is your doing relatively short intervals and the numbers arent great.

Are you running this bike offroad alot?

Id run the 15w40's

No, it is used only on the street. The last UOA showed some silicon so I put on a new air filter and noticed the old one may have been leaking slightly around the seal. Just put in Redline 10w40 and will test in 6 months or a year. This oil is rated JASO MB not MA but shifts far better than the others and the clutch hasn't slipped any that I can tell.

I dont know if Redline has made any changes with the MC oil related to the clutch, or its the same as the car oil. The car oil is defitely borderline , it may cause some slippage and maybe not depending on how much friction your clutch can generate, and normal the developemnt happens over time.

Ive seen no obvious evidence they made any change, but its possible.

I think id been running redline and during the second change, Id feel some hesitation, while running straightline highway. I deemed it in my head, as it wasnt a solid heavy slip. But a week or 2 later, I went full throttle up a large mountain paek, about 1 mile up and full throotle all the way shifting, till I hit top gear and clutch was breaking lose like carzy. I went home and installed known good clutch oil, and didnt have any more issue.

but it wont destroy your clutch

+1. I would think the slipping is related to how much power you are making and the clutch. Heard of FZ1 riders trying M1 auto and having clutch slip.

Interesting on the fz1 with mobile 1

I ran some Mobil1 high milege, it slickend my decel engine braking enough, it took me a week or so to get used to it for corner entry.

But I ran that oil pretty hard and 11,000 rpm full throttle shifts, it never slipped, but I always thought it was on the marginal side.

In the end hard to beat the clutch grip of a diesil when your unclear >G

Yeah,the auto oil had too little friction. The guy changed it back to MC specific oil and the clutch stopped slipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back