Throttle Plate sticking on 07 Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since it has turned colder I have noticed the gas pedal sticking on first starts in the morning. This morning the engine didn't want to start at all. So thinking the throttle plate needed cleaning, I took the intake off and cleaned the plate and area around it with MAF sensor cleaner. Now the throttle seems as smooth as ever. Will know for sure in the morning.

I had the same problem when I bought my Accord (used). You did the same thing I did so it should be good to go now, as it was with my car.

Be glad that you do not have DBW. If you had done what you did to a DBW car, you might be buying yourself a new throttle body. (worse case)

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I have a DBW throttle body and I cleaned it by hand using a carb cleaner. Never had an issue.

I agree that a greater care must be taken when dealing with them, but they're nothing special, really.

The Nissans sometimes have issues if you clean the DBW throttle body. You may end up having to do an idle air volume relearn with the CONSULT-III scan tool.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Be glad that you do not have DBW. If you had done what you did to a DBW car, you might be buying yourself a new throttle body. (worse case)

What is DBW?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: The Critic

What is DBW?

Drive by wire. Most vehicles have gone to it. My 2005 Corolla has it.

Fly by wire is really cool until something goes wrong. Before fly by wire we hardly ever sold a throttle body, since we sell around 1 a week on slow weeks.

It's a great idea/maintenance to clean the throttle body bore and plate.
don't wash it downstream. Use solvent and a rag, screwdriver, fingers. Get it dinner plate clean all around and on both sides.

This fixes all sorts of problems, but if not, it is still a very good start.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
It's a great idea/maintenance to clean the throttle body bore and plate.
don't wash it downstream. Use solvent and a rag, screwdriver, fingers. Get it dinner plate clean all around and on both sides.

This fixes all sorts of problems, but if not, it is still a very good start.

I always have washed it downstream. What is the reason for not doing this?

My 1996 Contour with the Zetec 4 has had since early in it's life a throttle hang up and slower to return to idle speed upon stopping. It's a manual tranny. I looked at the throttle body and it is clean. It's not bad & I can live with it. I was amazed how clean the throttle body is after 15 years. No build up at all. Maybe because I don't use any noticeable oil between OCI's helps. I can go 8,000+ miles between OCI's and not use oil. I've been running Schaeffer's 5W-30 SL Blend with LC 20 & FP 60 since 2004.

Whimsey

Whimsey -
You also have an idle air control valve that probably needs cleaning. Two eight MM head bolts secure it on the back of he manifold.

Gunk washed downstream will be goo that evaporates rather quickly [the solvent will evaporate] and settles on valves, ports, manifold, and in the combustion chamber.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Whimsey -
You also have an idle air control valve that probably needs cleaning. Two eight MM head bolts secure it on the back of he manifold.

Gunk washed downstream will be goo that evaporates rather quickly [the solvent will evaporate] and settles on valves, ports, manifold, and in the combustion chamber.
Thanks for that tip.

I'm guessing the Focus has the 2.0L? Not sure if this applies to the 2.0L but the 2.3L's had problems with the throttle sticking in cold temps. Got rid of the Ranger Nov of 09 but it did since I got it new in 06. Not sure why I didn't take it back I guess got tired of dealing with the dealers on all the small issues that thing had. Apparently there was a TSB out on it. Some sort of design flaw that could cause the throttle body itself to change shape in cold temps. Cleaning did help for a few weeks but always came back. With the TSB their supposed to replace the TB with a newer version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back