Large oil leak - 1993 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJC

My 1993 Accord started smoking enroute from work this afternoon. I have a large leak from the oil filter base area dripping onto exhaust.

Oil pressure sending unit? What else in this area? Help is appreciated.

No it looks to be seeping around the base, not around the filter seal. But I can't see above ... looks like a sending unit. More investigation later.

Originally Posted By: NJC
My 1993 Accord started smoking enroute from work this afternoon. I have a large leak from the oil filter base area dripping onto exhaust.

Oil pressure sending unit?

That's sounds like a winner.

Check this link out. If the sending unit sits above the filter it would be difficult to see.

For those also battling this problem, here's a pic of the area. #33 is the oil cooler seal:

13ss00a05xf7.gif

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2328293

I'll check out the oil pressure sending unit tonight ... good thing I have a garage as it's -10C out tonight.

Thanks guys, I started it up on ramps tonight and it's almost pouring out of the area. It would seem too sudden and extreme to be a oring/gasket failure ... so I'll look into getting a sending unit. Last time I did one of these was on a 1976 Chevy 350.

As someone already stated, my guess would be the gasket on the oil cooler, not the sending unit. My Mom's '91 Accord had this problem and the leak was a steady stream when the car was running. It's a fairly easy repair, by the way.

For those also battling this problem, here's a pic of the area. #33 is the oil cooler seal.......
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2328293

From that thread the OP says "Belated Update: Turned out the leak wasn't caused by the oil cooler after all. The oil pressure sending unit (which is located directly above the oil cooler) was faulty thus creating the oil leak."....Then says "Read more at http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2328293&ktrack=kcplink ."Which is similar to the finding in the link previously posted.

Because you said "a large leak" of I'm sticking with the sending unit. Reminds me of an 81 Toyota Corolla I owned which delveloped a large leak quite suddenly, oil pressure sending unit. Cooler seal possible, just not my first choice. Interesting the 93 (EX?) had an oil cooler, afaik Accords don't have them now.

I believe the part will be #22 below called an oil pressure switch.

13SM40_E06.gif

$4.70 for an o'ring gasket (Honda PN 91316-PE7-730) and we have a winner. Note this is the F22A6 engine, with water cooled block seen here. A 30mm normal socket (deep not needed) removes the center tube - water lines can stay on. Since it's tight, a 12pt socket would be best. Have cardboard ready if you care about driveway because it's messy.

I have replaced this seal on the 2 other Accords I've owned, but didn't suspect this because of its instant severity. But the chap at the Honda dealership said this is a common failure.

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

Center tube:

IMG_1931.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

Hi fives for exranger06 and me. That generation of Accord was Honda's finest (those cars were way overengineered, the oil cooler being a perfect example - I don't think you'll find one on current Accords). IIRC, the oil cooler only came on automatic equipped Accords as well - the stick didn't have it.

Last edited:
BTW, if you own of these Accords DON'T wait until it starts raining oil to replace this part ... I ONLY noticed the leak driving home 14 miles from work, and upon arrival it was BAD. Buy the o'ring in advance and replace during the next oil change.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Because you said "a large leak" of I'm sticking with the sending unit. Reminds me of an 81 Toyota Corolla I owned which delveloped a large leak quite suddenly, oil pressure sending unit. Cooler seal possible, just not my first choice. Interesting the 93 (EX?) had an oil cooler, afaik Accords don't have them now.

I agree, the way it started leaking seemed indicative of oil pressure sending unit failure. The Accord I have is a SE, made in the US for the Canadian market.

Hey, gave it a shot. The large leak is what led me to favor the sending unit rather than the cooler seal. In the pics I do see the leads for the sending unit just above the oil cooler. Did you have to get the seal from a local dealer? Glad you got it fixed.
cheers3.gif
But -10C. Yikes! Wonder of the cooler/cold temps caused it to show up now? Thanks for the pics.

Before I started the job I looked at the sending unit using a mechanic's mirror, and it looked dry underneath. I took pics but they were too confusing to provide any info.

I didn't even think to buy the seal from a local parts supplier ... so went right to the dealer. That's where I bought the o'rings for my 1984 and 1988 Accords.

And when Google searching for this problem, it seemed a few others were experiencing this during cold temps. That's why I gave the strong exhortation above to fix before you have to be out in the snow/cold to fix an oil leak.
55.gif

And when Google searching for this problem, it seemed a few others were experiencing this during cold temps.
Makes sense, the colder temps causing shrinkage and all. You know what I mean.
grin2.gif

i am new to this thread... I had an oil leak in the rear of my engine... "honda accord ex" and concluded it was the oil cooler.. i changed that seal and oil stopped leaking for a week or so.. now i have another leak coming from what seams to be the oil pressure sensor. i have 2 q's 1) what size socket will i need to take off the sensor? and will a deep well work? 2)what should i use on the threads to reseal the new one? teflon tape? some grey silicon??? i am workin on this as we speak help would be appreciated!

and one more thing... i read that the threads on the sensor are tapered so do not overtighten correct??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back