Preferred Auto Parts Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick survey of sorts. What is you preferred auto parts store/chain to do business with . Advance Auto Parts , Autozone , Oreilly Auto Parts , NAPA etc. ? Which company do you think is the best or worst in terms of parts and customer service.

Best parts/highest prices is Napa. Everything else is the same to me. My first step is RockAuto or the dealer, if OEM is a reasonable price. Second step, if it's a critical part and I want a high quality piece and am willing to pay for it, is Napa. Third step, or if it's a non-critical part or if quality is not important, any of the Advance/AutoZone/Pep Boys/O'Reilly clones.

I will make an exception, and jump straight to the third step if I am looking for a particular brand (like Goodyear belt or similar) and they have it for a good price.

I prefer AZ, I don't mind AAP, though I pretty much just buy from them online using 40% coupon codes. My local NAPA is pricey on most items, but has a lot of the more hard to find items and specialty tools. I can't stand O'Reilly's and go out of my way to not shop there.

I'm a comparison shopper. The best price and availability is what seals the deal for me. Chain store or local, anyone can have my business if they really want it.

Online? RockAuto.

I miss Western Auto. Not what Western Auto became under Sears' stewardship but what Western Auto was.

Revelation firearms, Western Flyer bicycles, Wizard appliances, parts and tires all in one store.

I like Napa for hard parts like water pumps, alternators, starters, etc. The dealerships here are sky high on their prices. I don't go to a dealer unless I have no other option.

Lately I have had good luck with Autozone parts, their brake pads have done very well on my truck and gf's car. Plus I like the Rewards Card Program. Every now and then they send me a coupon in the mail for a bonus reward point on a qualifying purchase.

I go to AAP for some parts, like Purolator filters. I like their online coupon deals and they send me paper coupons in the mail with their sales flyer. I guess it just depends on the part I need, the manufacturer and which store has the best price. I do a lot of research before buying and will gladly pay more for a better quality part.

AAP gets most of my business, as it's open when I'm free and is 2 miles away. Up by me it's either AAP, NAPA, or a few jobbers that mostly deal with the local garages. The AAP and NAPA tend to have the same stuff in different boxes for GM/Buick parts, so I get it on price and warranty.

I've been known to order from RockAuto and Amazon for parts before.

Which ever store is running the best deal the month I need oil. It is usually AAP but AZ is stepping it up a bit offering better filters sometimes. I just don't like when a good oil comes with a Fram filter.

An old buddy of mine owned a foriegn car parts store, which he closed about five years ago.
He could get anything, knew everything, and gave me great prices on quality parts.
This was perfect.
Anymore, I shop around.
AAP has been hard to beat recently, with 40% off on most items if you order online.
I've spent a few hundred on this and that with AAP over the last few months, loving the 40% off.
Rock is also handy, although shipping can kill you.
With either Rock or AAP, you get the quality you're willing to pay for.
Pay bottom dollar, and you get what you paid for.
Both offer OEM quality parts (sometimes actually OEM) for a little more coin, which I am willing to pay.

AZ usually if I do not buy online. They are just slightly more customer service friendly than AAP. None of stores, NAPA included, have what I considered customer service friendly counter help. I go to AAP only for Purolator filters and sometimes buy Fram from Wally World or Meijer just to avoid the experience of going to AAP.

1st choice is Napa. Good parts and a good chance of finding a counterman that actually knows something. The local Napa is able to get most parts they don't have in stock in under 24 hours. It's part of a regional chain of 20 NAPA stores with a good warehouse.

Their Geo Metro parts runner cars are being replaced by Hyundai Accents. One of these days I need to ask them how many miles they get out of those cars. Considering how long ago GM quit selling new Metros it must be a lot of miles.

Originally Posted By: musicmanbass
I prefer AZ, I don't mind AAP, though I pretty much just buy from them online using 40% coupon codes. My local NAPA is pricey on most items, but has a lot of the more hard to find items and specialty tools. I can't stand O'Reilly's and go out of my way to not shop there.

Why do you dislike O'reilly so much , Im curious as I currently work at one.

My Autozone is very good. Much better than my Napa. I really dislike my local Napa. The Autozone guys know me by name, still give me my military discount and every time you spend more than 20 bucks it goes toward reward points. Five 20 dollar or more purchases and you get a 20 dollar gift card. I am running new Autozone water pumps on the Trans Am and Buick.
I also have Duralast Gold brakes all the way around on the Trans Am. They have been on there 3 years with well over 200 1/4 miles passes on them stopping from about 117 mph. They have been flawless.

I've got a few ORs around and just don't like any of them. The stores seem to have very little selection compared to AAZ and AAP. (All four, AAZ, AAP, OR, and Napa are all within sight of each other on one road about 2 miles from my house!)

While I would guess the OR counterguys are probably higher paid, they definitely don't seem to make customers feel welcome, as per conversatikns with other friends who shop the auto parts circuit. Finally, OR's prices are, for the most part, insane. While every store wins on a few parts vs the competition, it seems that on a "basket" of items they are 20-30% above the local competition. It gets even worse when I exclude the storefront and focus only on "hard parts."

Of course, this is all simply my opinion and observance! I can definitely be wrong, and I'm sure there are many great O'Reilly stores and employees around the country. I have simply come to the place where I am tired of giving the local OR stores the opportunity to earn my business.

Originally Posted By: musicmanbass
I've got a few ORs around and just don't like any of them. The stores seem to have very little selection compared to AAZ and AAP. (All four, AAZ, AAP, OR, and Napa are all within sight of each other on one road about 2 miles from my house!)

While I would guess the OR counterguys are probably higher paid, they definitely don't seem to make customers feel welcome, as per conversatikns with other friends who shop the auto parts circuit. Finally, OR's prices are, for the most part, insane. While every store wins on a few parts vs the competition, it seems that on a "basket" of items they are 20-30% above the local competition. It gets even worse when I exclude the storefront and focus only on "hard parts."

Of course, this is all simply my opinion and observance! I can definitely be wrong, and I'm sure there are many great O'Reilly stores and employees around the country. I have simply come to the place where I am tired of giving the local OR stores the opportunity to earn my business.

Its interesting you say this because my O'reillys has a good crew who are friendly and knowledgeable and our prices are lower than AZ or AAP. Maybe its a local market thing , but we do have better prices. The local AZ has a terrible crew over there which results in most of our customers being [censored] off ex AZ customers. I guess the individual stores and crews determine how good a store is.

Bingo!
smile.gif
Like I said in my previous post, these are merely my observations from my locale, which may be (and obviously are) different than other locations. In any industry, leadership matters not only on the national level, but regionally, by district, and finally at the store in question. Ever been in a messy McDonald's? a clean one? Leadership.

I really hope you didn't take my response personally. You asked, I answered.

No offense taken at all , I was just merely curious as to your reasons for not liking O'reillys. I personally prefer AAP but get ridiculous discounts at work lol

around here oreilly's is my first choice.followed by autozone,napa,an independant bumper-bumper,advance auto then auto wizard(to be fair they mainly supply repair shops).the bumper-bumper and napa are neck and neck for expense, advance is the worst overall for customer service and quality.the o'reilly and autozone usually have good counter help and are helpful and usually have a good stock of what i am looking for.

For anything thats brand name such as oil I get from the lowest bidder. Anything for my mom's car, 2000 Grand Marquis, i get from my work. For my Volvo its either the dealer next door, a dealer up north that drop ships to my work for me for less than the dealer next door will charge me, IPD, or Tasca Volvo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back