Oil Filter Comparison......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a K&N and Royal Purple oil filter from Pep Boys because they are on sale right now for buy one get one 25% off. Among them I have a Mobil 1 EP left over from a sale off of Amazon where I bought 2 for $12.

Will have pictures up a little later.

I will not be cutting them open because I don't have the funds to wasting top dollar filters. Sorry guys. Probably will have an oil filter cutter to open them up upon the completion of their OCIs.

What are your(everyone's) thoughts on these filters?

Originally Posted By: LunerEclipse
I just picked up a K&N and Royal Purple oil filter from Pep Boys because they are on sale right now for buy one get one 25% off. Among them I have a Mobil 1 EP left over from a sale off of Amazon where I bought 2 for $12.

Will have pictures up a little later.

I will not be cutting them open because I don't have the funds to wasting top dollar filters. Sorry guys. Probably will have an oil filter cutter to open them up upon the completion of their OCIs.

What are your(everyone's) thoughts on these filters?

Search is your friend,endless posts on this stuff...

I know that all three of these filters are constructed by champion labs.

000_0001.jpg

From what I can see and the information given about these filters.....They are exactly the same in construction and build. The only difference between them is the filter media(which really makes all the difference really) and the 1 inch nut on the top of the K&N.

000_0002.jpg

I've never used a K&N or a RP filter before. They are supposed to be filters for people who want better oil flow throughout the engine. The M1 I have tried. Filters my oil very well but the oil flow isn't where I want it to be in my eclipse. Someone suggested these two filters to me so I'm gonna give them a try.

I plan on running the K&N for 5k and the RP about 8k.

Last edited:

I've never used a K&N or a RP filter before. They are supposed to be filters for people who want better oil flow throughout the engine. The M1 I have tried. Filters my oil very well but the oil flow isn't where I want it to be in my eclipse. Someone suggested these two filters to me so I'm gonna give them a try.

How did you conclude that the oil flow wasn't good on the M1?

I think that K&N filters are the "3rd" in rank out of the bunch. Just the way I feel about their products. It is a totally personal opinion. I feel that my Civic ran better with a Mann/Puro Classic as opposed to the K&N. It is just how the car feels, same oil but totally unscientific also. As I said, personal OPINION.

Does an oil pressure gauge on a car's dash, assuming a car has one rather than an idiot light, show lower oil pressure IF the oil filter doesn't flow as well as it should?

Originally Posted By: BGK
Does an oil pressure gauge on a car's dash, assuming a car has one rather than an idiot light, show lower oil pressure IF the oil filter doesn't flow as well as it should?

Only if the oil pressure sensor is located BEFORE the filter

If the pressure sensor is located AFTER the filter and before the engine's oiling system, then you will not see any pressure difference unless the oil pump is at it's max pressure point (aka, pressure relief mode). This is due to the properties of a positive displacement oil pump.

K&N has the reputation of being better flow wise but not as good at filtering.
'looser' media, allows oil to flow better but catches less crudy stuff.
Just my 2¢

I like RP's glass media filter the most. If RP offered an FL-820S alternative with the thread end bypass valve I would be running one myself.

I've never used a K&N or a RP filter before. They are supposed to be filters for people who want better oil flow throughout the engine.

Says who? K&N's are supposed to filter better, and RP's are supposed to filter better and longer. That's pretty much it.

The M1 I have tried. Filters my oil very well but the oil flow isn't where I want it to be in my eclipse.

Again, as others have pointed out, how do you know this?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I like RP's glass media filter the most. If RP offered an FL-820S alternative with the thread end bypass valve I would be running one myself.

I've been running a RP filter in my F150 5.4L and I can't tell any difference in how the engine sounds vs an MC LF820S. Will soon be both running oil analysis (including particle counts) and autopsying the filter at close to 10K miles and about 19 months.

In the 10 years I had my 2000 Accord v6, I ran M1, K&N, Denso and Purolator (Classic). Ran the OCI to 6-8k on PP and Mobil 1, and 5-6k on PYB.

None of the filters made any difference. The engine ran great on all- I am sure some engines are more temperamental, but for my application all worked well for 145k miles. The rest of the car needed work (transmission) and suspension; but not engine.

Just so the oil filter doesn't fail is all that really matters. This flow VS. filtration stuff is just internet B.S. . There are the [better] filters but I doubt the you will ever notice a real life difference during the ownership of the vehicle. If you do 10,000 mile+ oil change intervals the finer filtering or longlife filters could be an advantage at least on paper.

MANN Filters have many factories around of the world. K&N , Mobil and Royal not have a own factory they buy the filters in other assamble factory

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

I've been running a RP filter in my F150 5.4L and I can't tell any difference in how the engine sounds vs an MC LF820S. Will soon be both running oil analysis (including particle counts) and autopsying the filter at close to 10K miles and about 19 months.

With the filter bypass setting at ~20 psi, and the Modulars oil pressure spec at 20-45 psi @ 1500 (HOT) indicating that these filters go into bypass quite often, I will not use a filter with a dome end bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back