Audi S4 4.2L V8 Amsoil Reccomendation 5W-30, 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been pleased with Amsoil in the past and I like both of these options for my car. What would you folks suggest? The car is a 2006 Audi S4 w/ a Conventional Injection (Manifold injectors) 4.2L V8. It definitely sees its share of high RPM. With summer comming quickly, Las Vegas will soon have 110 degree ambient temps. That makes me lean towards the 5W-40. But, I have always seen such praise of the Series 3000 Diesel Oil.

Thoughts?

Series 3000 - 5W-30
European Formula 5W-40

There are two readily-available oils that are Audi approved I could suggest. They have proven track records...and they are [German] Castrol Syntec 0w30 or Mobil 1 0w40.

You can get them for qt at any auto parts store. They routinely go on sale for $6/qt or less. I just snagged 10qt of GC for $62 for my Mom's car at Autozone. I think O'Reillys has all M1 varieties for $4.99/qt right now.

Amsoil is definitely good stuff and if you don't mind spending more, keep using it.

BTW, I have a 2005. I have been running Motul 300V 5w40 for the last 3500 miles. Very good oil but I refuse to spend $15/qt on oil next time...so I'm switching to something else.

^ +5 to what dparm said.

Mobil 1 0w-40. It will, of course, shear to a 30-wt.

Any reason to not run Rotella T6 in these cars? Maybe isn't German enough for them.

My dad has run Amsoil 5w-40 Euro in his TT (with a few goodies) for 80,xxx miles. We now put it in my mom's G35. I love the Amsoil. I have M1 0w-40 in my 2.0t A4, and it's getting switched to Amsoil at the next OCI.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with the oils recommended above, if you like AMSOIL (as I do) I would use the 5w30 3000. It is a stout high quality oil (but both will work). Rotella 5w40 would also work for this vehicle too and is a cheaper alternative.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Rotella 5w40 would also work for this vehicle too and is a cheaper alternative.

When you catch M1 0w-40 on sale (which happens relatively frequently), it costs the same as Rotella T6.

If you look at the list of VW/Audi approved oils, they're all heavy 30s and light 40s. I wouldn't use any old 5w30 in there....just FYI.

In Vegas weather and that engine, I'd try the Mobil 1 High Miles 10w-40. If you have minimal consumption, maybe the 10w-30 Hi-Miles or a mix of the two, depending on season.

Both have HT/HS that exceed oem spec.

The thing to understamd about this oil is that it is blended to older API SL specs, allowing higher additive levels. Boron at 300 and Calcium at 3000 with some moly and very little Magnesium is a pretty serious formula.

AMSoil has oils that equal or exceed it, yeah, but this is quite good.

Honestly, guys who have consumption with 4.2 should just run 15w-40 HD. With minimal consumption, Rotella 10w-30 SemiSyn may be one of the best performing lubes for Euro non-turbos.

2-cycle oil in the gas at 500:1 is a good tip, imo...esp if you are going to rev.

Thankfully, I have no consumption issues as of now. I would like to keep it that way. My goal is to make my decision based on the quality of the oil only. I do not want to factor in price. In reality, if I pay 50% more for oil X, that is $9.00 a month for the peace of mind that I bought the best I could.

Piece of mind is a term tossed around here. Of course, the bias is to err on the side of caution, and over-do any beneficial maintenance. However, the goal is to use a rational approach, with cost-effectiveness being a good metric.

Expensive or fancy sounding oils may not offer anything over a known-good 5w-40 like Rotella T Synth, that's a fact. Being able to change the RTS twice as often for the same cost is a fact too. Therefore, running the RTS at a shorter interval is a better approach at the same cost, because surely fresh RTS is better than Motul or Elf after 5000-6000 miles.

Change interval is another area of "compromise". Of course 1000 miles is too short, and 10k is too long considering it's only $50 worth of oil. That in mind, you can see that expensive oils have little merit, even extended drains to justify the cost makes little sense.

Back to M1 HM, it may actually be one of the best oils on the market. I'd try a fill of it and use the saved money for a UOA. Few here would argue that's an ineffective approach.

Just as the use and acceptance of 5w-40 Euro oils is catching on here, Euro oils are going thinner, to 5w-30, which we have a wide availability of. I have light Edge 5w-30 in my new VW turbo, and will do a UOA. If wear looks good, I have a winner, because I got 15q free, and it's cheap anyway. Lower HT/HS than spec, but it has an excellent track record in Euro engines.

So, if the question is what's the best oil for your car, M1 HM should be as good or better than anything. It's formula is unencumbered by API SM or Euro low-saps additive limits. HT/HS of the 10w-30 is beyond the 3.5cP VW specs call for and the same as heavier 5w-40 oils. That's the mark of a premium oil, high HT/HS for the +100c visc. Redline and German Syntec offer this. The HT/HS of M1 10w-40 is 4.1cP.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAXXENPVLMOMobil_1_High_Mileage_Oil.aspx

VOA20Mobil120HM2010W30.jpg

I would go with the 10w-30 for winter and top-off with 10w-40, the reverse in summer.

Well said, AJ. Plus the M1 HM stuff is available EVERYWHERE and you aren't forced to order it online or through a local speedshop. Convenience is huge.

Originally Posted By: cryption
Nothing is more convenient then sitting at your computer with a beer, ordering it, and having it show up at your door!

lol.gif

01.gif

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Not if you're at the store already, and pay 1/2 the price.

+1 exactly! How ordering online is more convenient is beyond me. I like many here always visit the auto section of whatever store I'm in (typically Wal-mart). I'm there minimum once a week. There is no waiting for shipping, no membership, and always under $5.00 a quart and sometimes around $4.00.

This could go on for days. Some people don't have a Walmart nearby, some people considering going to Walmart a hassle....plus I've never see HDD at Walmart. Ordering Amsoil is pretty darn easy. Shipping is about $10 case.

So what is it to you guys that you insist on changing people over to other brands? The OP asked about Amsoil. Several of you seem to be on a mission to talk him out of it from the very start and even said some of your suggested choices are "better than anything" without any demonstrable proof. Please, I'm all for open chat - but focus on the question - I think only a few actually addressed that.

On the contrary Pablo, I told him that he can continue using it if he doesn't mind spending the extra money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back