Mobil 1 ATF vs. Amsoil ATF vs. Redline D4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a few thousand miles away from draining my tranny fluid (Mercon V) on my 03' Ford Focus automatic.

I'm considering going to a full synthetic... instead of Mercon V...mainly for longer OCI's. Or...should I just stay with Mercon V and 30K OCI's? Also...would you suggest installing a Magnafine Transmission when doing the change?

Your suggestions and experience with the above Syn ATF's would be appreciated.

Last edited:
If you go longer ATF OCI's, you need a Magnafine, Permacool, or Racor ATF filter.

Stick with your Mercon-V and 30k intervals if you don't want to install additional filtration.

Any of the full synthetics would be an excellent choice. Coin toss.

I would switch to synthetic and install a Magnafine which should allow you to go 50 or 60K between ATF changes. My Buick runs great on Mobil 1 ATF. The 3 synthetics that you've listed are all excellent but I'd probably choose Redline.

Originally Posted By: unDummy

If you go longer ATF OCI's, you need a Magnafine, Permacool, or Racor ATF filter.

I used to run 60K on Amsoil on my Civic with no filter and never had a problem at all. Now my CR-V does indeed have a "secret" filter that Honda doesn't tell you about in-line.
More filtration is better I'd assume; just relaying my positive experience without one.

Can't comment on performance, but I've never smelled anything so bad in my life as Mobil 1 ATF. I'm not sure I could leave the cap off the bottle long enough to use it without losing my lunch. I've smelled lots of stinky gear oils and ATF, but this stuff is beyond belief.

I've used M1 ATF for as long as they have made it, and it does very well in all of the Fords I have put in. 40K with M1 is pretty much the OCI I use.

I've used M1 ATF in my 98 Toyota Camry V6 for 60k / 4 years and have had great results. Super smooth shifts in all temps and conditions even near the end of my OCI. I replaced it with Amsoil and am liking that as well. (obviously the shift quality is better because its new fluid) 198k on the original tranny and filter.

I've never used Redline's ATF because its hard to get and becomes even more expensive with a shipping charge.

I say you go for whatever is easier to get. They are all excellent oils, in my opinion.

I thought MercV was synthetic?

Of those, I use AMSoil ATF and would use Redline. Redline is my first choice in a MTF.

My preference for that AT would be for more MercV or an OTC mfg spec ATF, like +4 if compatible or definitely MaxLife as maybe the very best choice.

Thanks for all you comments and advice. Like someone said... "its a coin toss".

Decided to go with the M1 ATF...although (after doing some research) I think the Amsoil product might be a bit superior.

The reason I'm going to M1 Syn ATF is....its about 25% to 30% cheaper than Amsoil....easily available locally... some good reports from some BITOG guys whom I respect...and the Amsoil product is just to much of a hastle to obtain (cost & shipping etc.).

I plan on putting on a Magnafine filter and doing 40K to 50K OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Just curious how much $ M1 ATF is in Bend?

$7.29 a quart....I'll need 7 quarts.

Not bad, cheaper than here.

I sell Amsoil ATF for $7.34/qt.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Just curious how much $ M1 ATF is in Bend?

$7.29 a quart....I'll need 7 quarts.

Not bad, cheaper than here.

I sell Amsoil ATF for $7.34/qt.

Does that include shipping costs? I would need 7 quarts or 2 one gallon jugs.

If not....how much would the shipping be. I still might order Amsoil...if total cost its close to the M1 cost I find locally.

Last edited:
If you order M1 ATF at Advance Auto website and choose a store to pick up at, you can get it for under $6/qt with tax. I just tried it using discount code LC123 for 9 qts. Price went from 8.99/qt to $5.40 plus tax. Pay online with a credit card/paypal and pick it up at the nearest AAP with enough stock to cover your order. You can even pick up part of your order at one store and some at other stores if you need more than they have in stock. Done it many times.
other current 40% off codes:
A123
BIG30
BIG40

Hey, save some money! I have done this code deal at AAP with Maxlife ATF (full syn high mileage atf) and this beats WM's already good price. I would consider using the Maxlife. It's actually a really good ATF at a low price. I use it in just about everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back