microgard filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a thread here when Talker put a microguard filter on his Lincoln.....

BTW....they are about to start being made by FRAM.

Originally Posted By: Troy_Built

I wonder if that is their way of keeping prices down?

I work for Napa. MicroGard is O'Reilly's house brand of oil filters. We just did three service garage changeovers from MicroGard to Napa ProSelect and we had a chance to cut apart a few filters. Of the three we cut apart, two looked like a Fram(fiber end caps) and one might have been Puralator. According to my buddy who works at O'Reilly, they are now made by Fram(Honeywell).

Dave

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Originally Posted By: Troy_Built

I wonder if that is their way of keeping prices down?

So.....these new Microgard filters are a stripped-down Fram? Interesting.

Yes they are going from Purolators to Fram. Thhey were decent filters for the cash. We paid O Reilly's 2 bucks a filter for the microgards. However, now that they are going over to Fram, our shop will start looking elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: Gunatics_Adler
Yes they are going from Purolators to Fram. Thhey were decent filters for the cash. We paid O Reilly's 2 bucks a filter for the microgards. However, now that they are going over to Fram, our shop will start looking elsewhere.

I know some quick lube places use mighty filters, i believe they are a purolator.

The nice thing about O Reillys was that they were literally just down the street from our shop. So we did not have to keep any inventory like we did when we had predominately AC Delco filters in the 90's. Looks like we will be buying a lot of SuperTechs until we find something better for the low end service package.

It is kinda funny. The first O'Reilly's I ever went into had a cut open Wix and Fram oil filter on the counter to show how poor in quality the Fram looked compared to Wix.

Originally Posted By: JT1
Originally Posted By: Gunatics_Adler

I know some quick lube places use mighty filters, i believe they are a purolator.

They're actually Champ labs. I just cut one (e-core) open last year, it was a Mighty Guard II and looked excellent.

we just have a oriellys parts store and the microgard filters are 50 cents cheaper than the frams. are they also made in korea?

Are you talking oil filters or air filters. Afaik, the microgard black can oil filter is made in America by Honeywell/Fram. IIRC, it's even advertised that way.

Can't say about the air filters.

Microgard Oil filters are now made by Honeywell aka Fram. They are made mostly in the US with a few outsourced overseas. They are Fram filters without the grip on the end for .50 cents cheaper. I work at O'reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back