Good or Better UCL & Fuel Cleaner product

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a good upper cylinder lube or complete fuel cleaner & UCL. I hear the following below are best or better. When I look at these each seem to do some things different well.

1)MMO
2)Lucas
3)Amsoil PI
4)Red Line
5)Renewable Lube
6)Lube Control

So how has your experience been with these products in comparison.

I heard Lucas UCL is fantastic(probably the ONLY Lucas product that people would use/trust). MMO arguably well respected and works wonders as well.

I have only ever used MMO, the others on here can chime in about the other products.

Da Game,

I've only tried Lucas in my 89' Camry with around 230K on the engine. I didn't feel any difference until a months usage and dosing the gas every week at fill-up. In my experience you won't see/feel any difference unless you really over dose the fuel allot and it feeling only happens once in a while. In my 01' Durango I've used Redline but didn't feel any difference in performance.

Durango

I've used Lucas and MMO on that list. Never have seen anything good from Lucas, but MMO helps improve gas mileage in my truck/car.

I'd add TCW3 on your list.

Originally Posted By: Da Game
I'm looking for a good upper cylinder lube or complete fuel cleaner & UCL. I hear the following below are best or better. When I look at these each seem to do some things different well.

1)MMO
2)Lucas
3)Amsoil PI
4)Red Line
5)Renewable Lube
6)Lube Control

So how has your experience been with these products in comparison.

For a good UCL with some cleaning ability MMO tops my list. I would use a good FI cleaner first then add MMO at 4 ounces per 10 gallons of gas at each tank full. I've had very good luck with MMO and it is my favorite. It is affordable and can be had just about everywhere if you live in the US.

If you want a good cleaner with UCL properties then the Red Line product IMO tops the list. It can be used at 1.5 ounces/10 gallons of gas at each tank full of gas, and contains a UCL. Use a full bottle first, then if you like 1.5 ounces can be used per 10 gallons at each tank full. I've used Lucas and Amsoil and found the RL product to be a better cleaner IMO. The others I have not tried.

I just bought a case of Redline SI-1 that I'll be using at ~5oz/fillup, less if not a full fillup (I'll log fuel added vs Redline added to keep tabs on how much Redline is in the tank each time.) To measure, I bought a 5.25 oz bottle of Gumout HM (Regane) that I'll use first. This should be easier than trying to pour 1/3 or less of the 15 oz Redline bottle in at each fillup.

As far as feeling the UCL or cleaning, I never have, even with older vehicles. I always fillup at Mobil, Shell or Sunoco stations, so maybe that's all that's needed to keep the system clean. I'll decide after using up a full case, and then a few fillups with out additive, whether there's any gain to be had.

However, Redline touts that it precludes the need for octane boosters (or something like that; maybe as a result of cleaning, and not any inherent octane-boosting properties it possesses,) which when combined with it's great cleaning ability, slight UCL properties (from what I've read - it doesn't claim to be an UCL, IIRC,) and reasonable price, I might stick with it for that all-too-valuable peace of mind factor

Demarpaint put it very well. Start with a full dose of Red Line SL-1 or Gumout Regane. Run that tank down as far as you safely can, then use MMO at each fuel fill. You want to start with a good strong fuel system cleaner first then use your UCL at each fuel fill after that. I prefer MMO, like Frank said, it is cheap, is easy to find and most of all it works very well. On the first dose you add the corresponding amount of MMO for your entire fuel tank capacity, after that you add only what it needs to provide the 4 ounces to 10 gallons of fuel ratio for the amount of fuel you buy at each fill-up. You may need to adjust the regular MMO dose up or down to get the best performance and MPG out of it. Personally, 4 oz to 10 gallons works very well for me.

I think MMO works so well as a UCL because you are providing a constant and consistent dose of UCL at each fuel fill. I would think the UCL benefits of Red Line by itself would be diminished over time if you only use it once every 3K to 5K, but that is just my opinion. I run Red Line or Regane about every second or third oil change, in the last tank prior to the oil change. On the tanks that get the Red Line or Regane, I do not add MMO, but MMO says it is OK to do it that way if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back