Mobil 0w-40 for OPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
boraticus just posted oil consumption on full syn, i love the waste of money down here on the OPE section

Yeah i kinda wondered the same thing Bror. 13 days is a really really long time. This is really the only other info i have regarding it.

Link

Thanks for the link. Reading through it, it sounds like most of that time the generator was under light load ... basically at a high-idle speed (I think he said 1,800 rpm).

That changes things a lot. It's still incredible, though. Even idling for 13+ days straight without using any oil is an accomplishment ... and the oil held up very well.

Originally Posted By: dakota99
Here's a UOA on a honda generator with the GX340 engine.

Link

M1 0w40 @ 312 hours. Pretty impressive.
What I do not understand is there are all these people who think they are so smart because they read all the hype about syn oils enough to pay a premium for the oil but seem not to understand they last longer in use.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
Thanks for the link. Reading through it, it sounds like most of that time the generator was under light load ... basically at a high-idle speed (I think he said 1,800 rpm).

That changes things a lot. It's still incredible, though. Even idling for 13+ days straight without using any oil is an accomplishment ... and the oil held up very well.

Generators this size has to run at 3600RPM to maintain 60 cycles. My generator(Coleman Powermate with Subaru engine) runs all the time at 3600.

I use T6 Rotella 5w-40 in the Honda HRX mower - only because is was leftover from doing a motorcycle oil change at the time.
The mower oil level hardly went down from the full mark for all season of use. Was put in about 9 months ago.

Does the John Deere 10w-30 oil have a good SL additive package? I have a 5 gal bucket of it sitting in the barn. I was going to run it in my two mowers. I mainly got it for the tractor and my old 460 motored Ford truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back