Crown victoria trans & rear end synthetic change

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello everybody. i have a 1997 frod crown victoria. i want to do a complete flush of the transmission & rear end and replace with full synthetic fluids. the car has 90k miles on it.my questions are.

Are 90 k miles too many miles to do a trans flush and change to synthetic fluids? some auto mechanics have suggested that i stay with regular fluid. the tranny runs great and has had fluid changed every 40k

what would be a good fluid to go with. reline, amsoil, BG etc

also whats a good fluid for the rear end?

other notes. my drving style is pretty good. 70/30 highway and city. warm climate in texas. it has a 4.6 engine and sorry i dont kno what kind of trans is in it but it is the factory 4 speed.

Motorcraft Mercon V is an excellent fluid. I would just use that and add 2 bottles of LubeGard Red or Platinum if you're not going the synthetic route.

As for the rear end, again I would go with Motorcraft Premium Rear Axle Lubricant 80W-90, or if you want to go synthetic, Motorcraft 75W-140. Might want to add some MoS2 in the differential for added protection.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for sharing your article!
thumbsup2.gif
On his '97, it should still have a torque converter drain plug.

90k is not too many miles to do a flush. You'll need to start with a pan drop and filter change 1st. Do not use any solvents. After that pan drop/filter change, refill ATF and perform a cooler line flush. Any of the full synthetic boutique brands will work fine. Amsoil, Redline, BG, Mobil1, Wynns, RoyalPurple, Amalie, Eneos, ... are easy enough to locate.

For the rear-end, any synthetic 75w90, 75w110, or 75w140 can be used. Mobil1 should be easy to find locally.

I bought a 99 crown vic CVPI in June, and since I did not know if the differential had ever been serviced I got the fluid changed with Valvoline 75w-90 full synthetic for the ever so slight fuel savings the small viscosity difference will make. If you never intend to do regular, heavy towing with your Crown Vic, the 75w-90 full synthetic or 80w-90 dino diff fluid will be ideal. But if you will be doing regular towing, especially at highway speeds, the 75w-140 would be a better choice.

The stearlership changed my rear end at 100K miles and put in 75w90 synthetic Motorcraft...I generally due the trans fluid every 30k miles using Motorcraft Mercon V

Changing the pan won't affect the dipstick reading.

I have the so-called "U-Haul" pan on one of my Marauders. It is identical to the stock pan but with a drain plug added at the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back