2006 honda CRV change to full synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello everybody. im coming to all the oil experts again for advice.

I have a friend that has a 2006 honda crv. it has 223k on it. i know thats alot for an 06. she runs on average about 3500 miles per month. More in the summer since she travel alot. She has gotten the oil changed ever 3k since she brought it new using good quality dino oils. i think its a big waste of cash. most of her miles are on the highway and she is a pretty easy driver

she says some mechanic told her to change it every 3k but we all know most of them dont know much about oil. at this rate she is changing her oil every 3 to 4 weeks

I feel like even with good dino oil she can go 5-6k on an oil change. I have suggested that she change over to a good full synthetic like castrol edge, pennzoil ultra, or mobil 1. And a good filter like mobil 1 or pureone and do 10k oil changes.

What do you guys/ladies think?

I would have her change to a good long life syn oil like Mobil 5W-20 EP or ASM and run a UOA. Good chance 15K changes could be in her future.

Last edited:
Full synthetic (insert brand) and known good long mile filters. And change every 3 months with whatever mileage it is then. 90days like clockwork and the only thing that will notice is her wallet.

Technically I agree with you 100% but...

She's already put 223,000 miles on the car with no problems, we have no idea if the engine is getting worn. If she extends the oil interval and 30,000 miles from now (which in her case is a few months) it goes kaboom! Will she blame you?

I'd let sleeping dogs lie.

Originally Posted By: kevinf

She's already put 223,000 miles on the car with no problems, we have no idea if the engine is getting worn. If she extends the oil interval and 30,000 miles from now (which in her case is a few months) it goes kaboom! Will she blame you?

+1

It's not your car, let her stick with the 3k changes, or 'incept' the idea that she can double her OCI and let her make the choice.

yeah i understand your point. i hope she wouldntif something like that did happen :-(, im just tryin to help her save a lit cash. but i doubt it would stop working anytime soon

I agree with the members who said let her continue with the 3K OCI. Unless you plan on marrying the girl forget it. If the car does blow after you make the suggestion there's a good chance you'll be married to fixing it. JMO

Eww, I forgot about this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah..... let her "mechanic" tell her what's best.

I have 2006 toyota camry v6 205,763 Miles.

with dino, OCI 5000-6000 miles.
with synthetic, 10,000- 12,000 miles.

I have no problems with the engine or other. engine perform like brand new.

Save your money, time and go with synthetic.

I recommend castrol syntec. It is the excellent oil.

Well, let us confuse you some more. Stay with what ever "quality" conventional oil she is using, just have her change it at 5,000 miles "like her owners manual" tells her to.

I feel like you should drop it and stop trying to control her. She's done very well with her oci regimen.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
I feel like you should drop it and stop trying to control her. She's done very well with her oci regimen.

lol. come man. we both in texas. Wheres the love. im not trying to impose my will on her

Wow! She'd be a rich woman if she had bought a better MPG car (like a civic) and stuck with 10,000 mi OCI like my car's owners manual says
grin2.gif

Go with synth at the olm distance or a set number of dino changes a year, not to exceed 10k each. Maybe every 3 or 4 months.

+1

my sons girlfriend has an '04 CRV and the owners manual states 10,000mi. OCI. I have been changing her oil for her the last few times(she had been going to a quick lube prior).
Her dad had instilled in her 3,000mi. OCI, I'm having a hard time stretching it out to 5,000mi. with her.

If I'm not mistaken the honda owners manual still allows for filter change every other OC, which I have never done, but it boggles my mind at all of the people I come across still doing 3,000mi. OC's.

The best advice I can offer to the OP and everyone else is to follow the owners manual, with honda or most others you don't need a syn to go 10,000mi OCI's if its in the manual already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back