New GF-5 SN Mobil conventional at Walmart today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
That isn't TRUE AT ALL! ST is NOT Shell sold under Wal-Mart branding! Read a little more before posting. It's well known that ST is either WPP or Exxon based on your location in the US. Shell did make some ST for Wal-Mart based on a MSDS I saw years ago, but they haven't made any in a long time.

The stamp under the bottom of Super Tech was identical to those under Pennzoil bottles. To me this is saying that Super Tech is now SOPUS (Shell Oil Products US). Also, SOPUS is currently one of the only very few oils that has the GF-5 certification. In fact I don't remember seeing any other GF-5 oils in auto stores yet.

Think a little more before posting so that you don't come so harsh.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I agree with Nightrider... UNLESS Wally just made the change.
Thanks! They didn't change the formula. A simple look at the MSDS will confirm that.

[/quote]
The stamp under the bottom of Super Tech was identical to those under Pennzoil bottles. To me this is saying that Super Tech is now SOPUS (Shell Oil Products US). Also, SOPUS is currently one of the only very few oils that has the GF-5 certification. In fact I don't remember seeing any other GF-5 oils in auto stores yet.

Think a little more before posting so that you don't come so harsh. [/quote]

I didn't mean to come off harsh, it was to simply state that your post(s) on this subject has been wrong. I've been seeing your past post and I had to correct it because you are completely wrong. By reading your response, you have a lot of reading to do.

It could have been Exxon or WPP in the past -- I have never said that it wasn't. But it's unlikely for the stamps to have the same format unless different oil companies are using the same bottling plant. Also, as I said, I haven't seen any other GF-5 oils yet (other than SOPUS). So, to me this is saying that Wal-Mart more than likely has made a change now.

The only SN bottle of oil I have seen at Walmart is Motorcraft 5w20 in the 5 quart jugs.

Everything else is not SN yet. I can't see walmart discounting the old stock of Mobil 5000 as Joe Q. Public does not pay attention to new API specs.

All of the SN GF-5 Supertech is STILL either Exxon-Mobil or WPP (5W-20 only) here in my part of PA.

Other GF-5 oils here are Mobil, SOPUS, Motorcraft/Conoco, Valvoline conventional, Castrol (high mileage varieties).

Originally Posted By: stubbakatt
All of the SN GF-5 Supertech is STILL either Exxon-Mobil or WPP (5W-20 only) here in my part of PA.

Other GF-5 oils here are Mobil, SOPUS, Motorcraft/Conoco, Valvoline conventional, Castrol (high mileage varieties).

How do you know? Did you look at the stamps?

Also, high-mileage oils are not GF-5, only SN.

Last edited:
The SN GF-5 ST's at my Wal-Marts all have the WPP stamp on the bottle. Maybe it's Shell making the ST's down in So.Cal. for Wal-Mart now.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: strongt
The SN GF-5 ST's at my Wal-Marts all have the WPP stamp on the bottle. Maybe it's Shell making the ST's down in So.Cal. for Wal-Mart now.
21.gif

How does the WPP date stamp look like? Does it have the exact date spelled out and the letter U preceding the serial like the SOPUS oils? If not, then Super Tech here is likely Shell because it has this format found on Formula Shell, Quaker State, and Pennzoil bottles.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: stubbakatt

How do you know? Did you look at the stamps?

Also, high-mileage oils are not GF-5, only SN.

Yeah, that didn't come out right. The Castrol high mileage is just SN, but all other Castrol is still SM that I've seen.

As for determining manufacturer, I look at the bottom of the bottle. Warren PP will have WPP or WNE molded into the plastic on the bottom. The quart XOM containers for Supertech are identical to Exxon Superflo containers, just a different color. All of the XOM Supertech 5 qt. jugs are identical (shape, not color) to the Mobil brand jugs.

If your containers are different, I suppose SoCal has a different supplier.

Well, if you are using Super Tech, chances are that you are OK with any oil that carries the Starburst. Regardless of who makes it, the formula will likely be different than their brand-name oils, just like FormulaShell, Quaker State, and Pennzoil all have entirely different formulas, despite all being made by SOPUS.

I was only paying attention to the date stamps. Perhaps next time I go to Wal-Mart (not in at least for a few months -- god, I hate their long lines and poorly stocked shelves, hardly worth saving a few bucks!), I will check the jugs as well.
smile.gif
But I won't buy Super Tech even if someone says it's exactly the same oil as the top-quality Pennzoil Platinum, just to have peace of mind.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Looking at the back of the bottle it list Super, Super High Mileage, and "Super Synthetic" I don't recall seeing that before, is that new or has it always been available? I'm aware of the various Mobil 1 products but maybe this will be a new synthetic oil?

FYI, some of the new stock of "Certified" motor oil from Sams Club is now SN.

I couldn't look at a bottle because they sell in 12 quart cases for 20 dollars and some change.

But, you can see that the newer looking boxes have API SN certification on them.

I may run this certified oil in both of our ecotec applications, its tough to pass up 10 dollars for oil for each car, and have a couple quarts left over to boot.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I'm always interested in nice jugs ...

haha *****!

Originally Posted By: dparm
So what exactly is "Mobil Super Synthetic" as compared to Mobil 1?
After reading, it's suppose to be a "lower" syn version vs M1. Hopefully they have a sell to clear out all the MC5k. I will buy it all and then start using the MS5k! Yep I said it first, MS5k hahaha...

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I'm always interested in nice jugs ...

The only reason I'm here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back