0W-40 instead of 5W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hotoil
Our 1998 Toyota Camry V6 calls for 5W-30, and we've always used Mobil 1 5W-30. The car now has 121k miles, runs beautifully, and uses absolutely NO oil between changes every 4k miles.
Would there be any advantage to using 0W-40? A little "thinner" in winter and a little "thicker" in summer sounds like a good idea, but maybe not.
Your opinions?

Keep doing what you are doing, don't change a thing.

I got sucked in by the great testimonials of others that I must make a change when all things were running well.

After 120000 miles your story is one of success. Select an oil that works and stick with it.

After that many miles no need to mess with different oil chemistries etc.

I wouldn't change a thing except your OCI. 4k on M1 seems a waste. With 121k miles already on the clock, this car likely has another 100k miles left in it before somebody smashes into it or you get tired of it and sell it on the used market (in about 10 years at your current rate).

I'd do 10k OCIs and know that you've only got 10 oil changes left for this car. When you sell it or it is totalled, the engine will be in excellent condition...oil-wise. Alternatively, do 5k OCIs on the cheapest name brand 5w-30 you can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back