Time for new brake pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my front pads are starting to squeal. They have over 130k on the original dealer pads. My car is an 03 Lexus IS300. I am pricing pads now and were wanting to know if anyone has experience with the following two pads:

Wagner Thermoquiet
Raybestos Advanced Technology

These are both ceramic pads and are over $20 cheaper than the dealer pads. My main concerns are stopping power (when both cold and hot), dusting, and noise. Any input would be greatly appreciated
smile.gif

I've had good luck with some Raybestos ceramic pads I'm currently using on my F150. The only issue I had was the small thin piece of metal on the back of the pad came off because the rivet came loose. Functionally, the pad works fine and stops great with little dust.

Well I guess my next question would be...Should I just fork out the extra $20 something dollars and just go with the dealer pads?

For only $20.00 more I would stay with OEM. Takes all the "what if's" out of it. You know they work well with as long as they lasted....

My $.02

Ok just called Lexus of Mobile and they want $84 for the front pads....I can get the Raybestos AT Ceramic for $48.32 shipped or the Wagner Thermoquiets for $39.94. I have checked the Sewell Lexus Parts online and they have the pads for $75.35 shipped....Kinda expensive
frown.gif
but if the OEM would be better than the other two, may have to wait for payday to get them....Any other experiences/suggestions?

I installed Raybestos AT pads in my Ford Escape (along with Raybestos AT rotors) about 4 yrs (40k) ago. They are great - excellent initial bite, great feel and modulation as well as overall stopping power. They are wearing extremely well and the icing on the cake is w-a-y less dust then the stock Ferodo pads.

Don't forget to bleed your brakes.

Or should I fork out the $60 after shipping for Akebonos? Sorry just been reading up on the Raybestos pads and been hearing that it's hit or miss now

Stopping power/grab is designated on brake pads by letters on the side.
First is the warm, then the hot rating. E E is decent . F F would be better. You may see E F or F E. G G is generally a racing/high performance pad, or for motorcycles.

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
Akebono's... Better than OEM

They may feel better, but they certainly were not subjected to the same amount of validation testing as the OE pads. OEM suppliers may sell pads to both vehicle manufacturers and under their own brand, but they are not necessarily the same quality.

Just ordered the Akebono ProAct pads and am going to have Centric Rotors on standby just in case my rotors can't be turned. Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Tim H.
Akebono's... Better than OEM

They may feel better, but they certainly were not subjected to the same amount of validation testing as the OE pads. OEM suppliers may sell pads to both vehicle manufacturers and under their own brand, but they are not necessarily the same quality.
says they are O.E. Validated

Originally Posted By: Rtstrider
Just ordered the Akebono ProAct pads and am going to have Centric Rotors on standby just in case my rotors can't be turned. Thanks everyone!

On our Lexus, I have Akebono ProAct Ceramic Pads F/R and Brembo Rotors F/R as well. My other choice for rotors would be Centric. You did well IMHO!

Originally Posted By: Rtstrider
Ok just called Lexus of Mobile and they want $84 for the front pads....I can get the Raybestos AT Ceramic for $48.32 shipped or the Wagner Thermoquiets for $39.94. I have checked the Sewell Lexus Parts online and they have the pads for $75.35 shipped....Kinda expensive
frown.gif
but if the OEM would be better than the other two, may have to wait for payday to get them....Any other experiences/suggestions?

Look up the Beck/Arnley pads on RockAuto.com. Part number 0891506. OEM = Sumitomo. They're $45.79 and they're absolutely the ones I'd buy. They'll come shipped in a Sumitomo box with a Beck/Arnley decal over the part number. B/A seems to be a distributor for OEM parts, especially for Asian-branded vehicles.

I replaced both sets of brakes recently on my Acura MDX and used B/A pads from RockAuto. Fronts were Advics and rears were Nissin. OEM parts at a great price. Can't beat it with a stick.

Edit: whoops, I see you've already bought. Never mind.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Look up the Beck/Arnley pads on RockAuto.com. Part number 0891506. OEM = Sumitomo. They're $45.79 and they're absolutely the ones I'd buy. They'll come shipped in a Sumitomo box with a Beck/Arnley decal over the part number. B/A seems to be a distributor for OEM parts, especially for Asian-branded vehicles.

I replaced both sets of brakes recently on my Acura MDX and used B/A pads from RockAuto. Fronts were Advics and rears were Nissin. OEM parts at a great price. Can't beat it with a stick.

Edit: whoops, I see you've already bought. Never mind.

The OEM pads you get from B/A or worldpac are not always the same pad sold under the Genuine label. I had my friend buy a set of "OE" TRW pads for his GTI from worldpac and they squealed like a bus, while the OE VW TRW pads did not. As another example, although your car may use "X" NGK plug, buying another NGK plug of a different model is not the same thing.

You'll like the Akebono pads especially on that car. The dealer "genuine" pads aren't going to be the exact same ones used on the assembly line in Japan in 2002, they're just going to meet the OEM specs like the pads you bought probably do.

I would have made the same decision you did, I like the Akebonos better than the thermoquiets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back