Redline 5/30 Street Oil VOA Jan-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the VOA of Redline 5/30 Street Oil that I am using currently in my 06 Evo MR. I feel this is a nice upgrade from the M1 EP 10/30 that I was using. I will fallow up on a 3K UOA which will be a mix bag of driving to include: Dyno time, mixed city and highway driving and hoping to get some Solo II time at the semi-local track.
19.gif

To Note: I am also trying out the new MT-85 from Redline which is their new GL-4 75/85 Gear Oil. Just put it in today and my initial improves are very good
thumbsup2.gif

Redline 5/30 Street VOA Jan 2011

Jeff

Thank You Johnny!! I still have not figured out how to post my VOA's and UOA's like that.

Thank You
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Thank You Johnny!! I still have not figured out how to post my VOA's and UOA's like that.

Thank You
thumbsup2.gif

It's easy. Open that link up you listed and on the right side there is a box, and the last column in that box says images. Just left click the http stuff, then paste it here on the site.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
A lot of moly and zinc in that oil!

I'm not surprised about the moly, but I thought the phos and zinc would be lower than that.

Considering that's a Blackstone analysis, I'm surprised that the P and Zn are that high. They usually read 10-15% low compared to oil manufacturer's published data.

Flash point is much lower than Redline lists on their sheet.

No Problem for the post, figured we were due for a new Redline VOA. Yes, it seems the Flashpoint is lower than I thought too, but the TBN is higher than I have seen on other VOA's of redline. Not sure if it has something to do with the testing method or not. Seems TBN's and such are hard to get a really acurate account on Ester based stock oils. Not sure why that is.

The Evo seems to like it though. I have their MT-85 gear oil in as of today as well.

I will shoot Dave an Email and see what he has to say about that Flashpoint guys. Will post back with an answer when I get one.

Jeff

Last edited:
Seems though that the Zinc and Phos is up a tad as well. TBN is up, but I didn't see a flashpoiint on the link you posted. I emailed Dave, will see what he says about it. I sent him a copy of my VOA for his thoughts.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Flash point is much lower than Redline lists on their sheet.

I notice that in every Red Line VOA and UOA that I see, Flash point is significantly lower than advertised. Other than that, looks like the standard RL additive package. TBN is a bit higher than normal for RL like others have noted.

Last edited:
Here is Dave's Reply from Redline about my VOA:

Jeff,

That flash point is a bad number, should be about 100° higher, 486°F.
The iron, lead and potassium should be 0, bounce in the test, noise. The additive levels look close, easily within the 20% tolerance of the test.

Glad to hear the products are performing well...

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

Thanks for sharing. Tbn seems a bit high for RL. 3k is a bit short of an interval for such a good oil.

Tom NJ has some good posts on BITOG somewhere about how variable the flashpoint measurement is. He's done an obscene amount of flashpoint measurements (thousands maybe, can't remember). It's probably the least accurate of all the measurements. But still I agree 385 is very low for a VOA. Also, for the future you may want to keep in mind that Blackstone extrapolates fuel dilution from flashpoint, so take future fuel %'s with a grain of salt. I wouldn't use any thinner than 5w40 in this modded car if it were me but let's see how the 5w30 does.

I saw this post form someone who cooked his bearings on 0w30 German Castrol but didn't read the whole thread. Not sure if it was due to viscosity or what because I haven't read it yet. Might be worth reading though? http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1890867#Post1890867

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Tom NJ has some good posts on BITOG somewhere about how variable the flashpoint measurement is. He's done an obscene amount of flashpoint measurements (thousands maybe, can't remember). It's probably the least accurate of all the measurements. But still I agree 385 is very low for a VOA. Also, for the future you may want to keep in mind that Blackstone extrapolates fuel dilution from flashpoint, so take future fuel %'s with a grain of salt. I wouldn't use any thinner than 5w40 in this modded car if it were me but let's see how the 5w30 does.

I saw this post form someone who cooked his bearings on 0w30 German Castrol but didn't read the whole thread. Not sure if it was due to viscosity or what because I haven't read it yet. Might be worth reading though? http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1890867#Post1890867

The 5/30 was recommended by Dave at Redline. I discussed my car and its modifications with him and he felt this oil would suit my needs. I am not sure how I could damage bearings though on my car with this oil with an HTHS rating of 3.8? Plus I don't plan on going more than 3K on the oil.

I was using M1 EP for 3 yrs with this car through allot of tuning and dyno runs. Some Solo II time as well. My Tuner recommended 20/50 Royal Purple, but I think that is a little too much for my OEM block and Turbo.

Does anyone else think this oil would not be sufficiant for my Evo and why?

Jeff

5w30 may do fine in your car. In the turbo audi/vw 2.0 FSI, the RL 5w40 has performed better than RL 5w30, but that engine suffers from fuel dilution. Also very little data on the 5w30 in that engine. My experience has been that the RL 5w40 holds up better with no loss in turbo spool up in that engine. My car, like yours, is very sensitive to different oils and you notice any difference immediately.

If I was running the hp and mods you are I would err on the safe side and run 5w40 with it's 4.6 cP HTHS. It would be neat to see a dyno comparison between the 5w30 and 5w40 if you ever get a chance. For me there was no noticeable difference between the 5w30 and 5w40 in terms of mpg or power (but not dyno-checked). Of course your car might not be the same. Here are the iron levels/1000 miles in my car FWIW (break in UOAs excluded). Note that the higher number on the 5w40 (4.57) was when I ran it 7600 miles, which IMO is too long for my engine for that oil.
5w30+ some 10w40 = 6.39
5w40 = 3.63, 3.70, 3.69, 4.57

Originally Posted By: saaber1
But still I agree 385 is very low for a VOA. Also, for the future you may want to keep in mind that Blackstone extrapolates fuel dilution from flashpoint, so take future fuel %'s with a grain of salt.

I think it's a Blackstone error, I'd ask for a FP retest. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see FP improve in the UOA.

Well to be completely honest this is the first time I have ran a 5/30 in my car. I have always used what the manual states which is 10/30. I was using RP Racing 41 for about a year and that is a 10/40 but my valve train was so noisy with that oil. Not sure if it was just the viscosity, or the Oil itself but just was very noisy.

Dave recommended the 5/30 so thats what I went with, my tuner thinks I am down right stupid. He's telling me to run 20/50 oil. I just am really confused right now. I mean, yes, my car is modified, and yes it makes more power than stock, but the clearances of the motor have not changed. The Block is OEM as is the Turbo. I understand on a track a 20/50 may make sense if your at redline for hours, but for spirited driving, DD driving, dyno tuning, and an occasional Solo II event would require me to move up 2 weights on oil?

I figured with the Redline 5/30 HTHS of 3.8 would be adequate for my car as well. Now I am just scratching my head wondering if I put the wrong oil in my car. What do I do now?

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back