Northland Superline 07

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any experience with this oil? My local auto parts store sells it and it's made in my home state... Was considering it for several vehicles as the price for a gallon of 10w-30 is like 12.50 or so - I thought maybe I could stock up on one lube.

I did some searching and couldn't come up with a web site or any PDS's.

Last edited:
That's true, but I don't enjoy buying from Evil-Mart if I don't have to. Northland is an excellent product and I guess I'm not really sure why I asked about experiences... It's actually factory fill for John Deere equipment in our area and they also supply the Deere labeled lubricants sold at dealers- AFAIK...

My question should have been "Does anyone have any info on this product". Sorry for the confusion.

You know, I should call that number. Thank you for digging that up! Ken2, I'll call the number listed on the manta site - I know that's their number as the 319 prefix is for the area they're from.

Thank you again... I will keep you posted.

Okay, so here's the update. I called Northland, who then directed me to an area rep. He was a pretty decent guy, but was rather suspicious of me. Said that he'd never fielded the kind of questions that I'd asked him... Guess he's never meet a BITOGer. He just wanted to be re-assured that I wasn't some spy for another company. He had the spec for Northland's 15w-40 on hand, but not the 10w-30. He said that he'd get the requisite data sheet and pass it along to me via e-mail. True to his word, I received an e-mail a few days later- from Norhtland themselves, containing the data sheet for their 3 oils.

Below is a copy and past of their literature and a edited screen shot of the specs. (Mods, let me know if I've overstepped my bounds)...

Northland Superline is a super high performance, heavy-duty diesel engine oil designed to provide unsurpassed performance in a variety of mixed fleet requirements. Superline exceeds the American Petroleum Institute's (API) newest diesel engine oil service classification CI-4, and the API SL service classification for gasoline engine requirements. Superline is specifically formulated to provide exceptional performance in severe duty, emission-restricted and EGR (Exhaust Gas Re-circulation) diesel engines. The versatility of Northland Superline qualifies this engine oil to fulfill demanding requirements in nearly all diesel and gasoline engine applications.
Superline engine oils utilize state-of-the-art additive technology unique in its ability to maintain highly effective detergent and dispersant performance throughout the most demanding service intervals. This delicate additive system balance provides robust reserve alkalinity (TBN), while maintaining exceptional piston and ring cleanliness. The superior performance of Superline in the control of harmful combustion and oil oxidation deposits is critical to minimizing oil consumption and preventing premature piston ring wear.
Northland Superline engine oils have earned an industry reputation for excellent engine cleanliness. This has been achieved by the use of unique dispersant chemistry which keeps oil contaminates in suspension and away from engine parts until filtration or routine drain service removes these harmful contaminates. Superline is especially formulated to provide superior soot dispersion for contemporary emission-restricted and EGR diesel engines, and exceeds the lubricant performance requirements of the latest engine designs. The superior soot handling characteristics of Superline 15W-40 is demonstrated by extensive fleet testing in extended service intervals and by exceptional Mack T10 test performance. Northland Superline 15W-40 also meets the latest Caterpillar ECF-1, Cummins CES 20078, Volvo VDS-3 and Mack EO-N Premium Plus extended service interval oil performance specifications.
Both Superline 15W-40 and 10W-30 oils are formulated for the extremes of climate and operation found in Northern regions. Superline multi-grade engine oils utilize a superior performing European style viscosity-index improver, which provides exceptional high temperature, high shear performance without sacrificing critical cold temperature pumpability. Laboratory and engine test data proves the superiority of Superline for quick lubrication in cold temperature operations to control engine wear during engine start-up.
As engine operating temperatures, combustion pressures, and turbo-charger boost pressure increase, good lubricant shear stability becomes critical for preventing premature engine wear. Superline 15W-40 provides both outstanding high temperature, high shear performance for consistent lubricant film strength, and minimal permanent shear loss for "stay-in-grade" performance, even in extended service operations.
The performance of Northland Superline engine oils surpass that of nearly all commercially available engine oils of similar API service classification. When used in accordance with original equipment manufacturers' recommendations for product selection and use, Northland Superline meets or exceeds the warranty and performance requirements of both domestic and foreign engine manufacturers.

superline07.jpg

Superline engine oils are highly recommended for gasoline and diesel engines, EGR, naturally aspirated or turbo-charged, where API CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF/SL engine oils are specified. These oils meet and exceed the performance and warranty requirements of Detroit Diesel, Navistar International, Caterpillar, Cummins, Komatsu, General Motors, Ford, Daimler-Benz, John Deere and Mack as well as many import manufacturers of diesel and gasoline engines. Superline is also recommended for use in powershift transmissions, manual and hydrostatic, where engine oils are specified. Superline is not recommended for use in railroad, aircraft and gas-oil mixture applications. Follow manufacturers recommendation for appropriate viscosity grade.
Performance and Specifications: (Viscosity Grade-Dependent)
American Petroleum Institute (API) CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF/SL
(Viscosity Grade-Dependent)
ACEA E5-99
Caterpillar ECF-1
Cummins CES 20076, 20077
CES 20078
Daimler-Chrysler 228.3
Global Specification DHD-1
Mack EO-M, EO-M Plus
EO-N Premium Plus
Allison C-4
Detroit Diesel API CF-2 SAE 30*
*Two cycle engine applications
Volvo VDS-2
VDS-3

Well, it does have some dated specs. However, if it meets your needs, go for it; the price you quoted seems okay. It would work just fine for my applications. Does the TBN seem a bit low for a CI-4 oil or is that just me?

Garak, why do you say the tbn seems low? I'm not really all that familiar with the hd oils, I would think that the reasoning of "it depends on how well it retains it" would apply. Maybe the pds is old, and the specs have since updated? When I go back outside, ill check the jugs to see.

Also, what are your thoughts on running this year round in a Ford 4600 3 cylinder diesel tractor? It almost never gets to operating temp, except for the few times I use it to mow the ditches... It seems to me the ht/hs and viscosity are a bit too low for those few times it does get to temp?

So I went out and looked at jugs. They are indeed labeled CJ 4, CI 4+, CI 4, CH 4/SL

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Garak, why do you say the tbn seems low? I'm not really all that familiar with the hd oils, I would think that the reasoning of "it depends on how well it retains it" would apply. Maybe the pds is old, and the specs have since updated? When I go back outside, ill check the jugs to see.

Also, what are your thoughts on running this year round in a Ford 4600 3 cylinder diesel tractor? It almost never gets to operating temp, except for the few times I use it to mow the ditches... It seems to me the ht/hs and viscosity are a bit too low for those few times it does get to temp?

You are certainly quite right on the retention issue. Of course, now that you mentioned the specs are updated, I'm going to have to completely shove my foot in my mouth and say that the TBN will probably a bit lower now, with it being CJ-4 and that I think that will be okay because it will probably have better retention.

It was just that I'm used to seeing some really high TBN specs in older oils. Nonetheless, depending on ambient, it might be worth a try. Maybe when it's hot, you may want to switch. Either way, it's an oil I'd certainly be able to use in my gasoline applications.

There are other posters here that know far more about hths and viscosity and the like than I do. My expertise on that matter is limited to watching oil temperature, pressure, and consumption if using something a little different.

How old is the tractor, and what does the manual specify? I've observed that the diesel world is slowly moving to thinner oils, too.

To be honest, I'm not sure of the age. It was/is the neighbor's tractor. I remember it as a youngster, so I'd guess it to be around 30 years old? As for the manual, I have never seen it. I'm sure it's long gone by now- I've just always assumed it took a 40 grade oil, as that's what nearly every diesel in existence seems to take. I'll do a little researching to see if I can find it.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm not sure of the age. It was/is the neighbor's tractor. I remember it as a youngster, so I'd guess it to be around 30 years old? As for the manual, I have never seen it. I'm sure it's long gone by now- I've just always assumed it took a 40 grade oil, as that's what nearly every diesel in existence seems to take. I'll do a little researching to see if I can find it.

Yes, the usual - when in doubt, use 15w-40. In any case, as long as it's not too hot out (or if you can get that oil in 15w-40 at a similar price), it might be worth a shot. Even back then, 10w-30 HDEO was used for the cooler weather in a variety of diesels.

Does anyone have any experience with this oil? My local auto parts store sells it and it's made in my home state... Was considering it for several vehicles as the price for a gallon of 10w-30 is like 12.50 or so - I thought maybe I could stock up on one lube.

Its made in Waterloo, IA. I remember interviewing there about 10 years ago for a driver/jobber position. I wasn't too impressed with the company.

The real interesting thing is the lack of a website or any other "real" information about the company. To the best of my knowledge they've never had a website (didn't 10 years ago and still don't).

Considering that everyone under the sun has one now, that I can find commercial hosting for $150/yr, and considering that they could find some comp-sci college kid from the University of Northern Iowa (about 20 blocks from their facility) to maintain a website using a content management system like Wordpress for peanuts, I really wonder about the company and products they produce.

To put it plainly, they're an odd outfit.

Northland's blurb sounds like every other oil company's description of their products. There are some local blenders that do OK. It is probably average and nothing special. If the price is the same, I'd choose Chevron or Mobil or ConocoPhillips76Kendall.

Originally Posted By: buickman50401

Its made in Waterloo, IA. I remember interviewing there about 10 years ago for a driver/jobber position. I wasn't too impressed with the company.

The real interesting thing is the lack of a website or any other "real" information about the company. To the best of my knowledge they've never had a website (didn't 10 years ago and still don't).

Considering that everyone under the sun has one now, that I can find commercial hosting for $150/yr, and considering that they could find some comp-sci college kid from the University of Northern Iowa (about 20 blocks from their facility) to maintain a website using a content management system like Wordpress for peanuts, I really wonder about the company and products they produce.

To put it plainly, they're an odd outfit.

All points that I can't argue...

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Northland's blurb sounds like every other oil company's description of their products. There are some local blenders that do OK. It is probably average and nothing special. If the price is the same, I'd choose Chevron or Mobil or ConocoPhillips76Kendall.

I woont be using any Kendall product (nothing against the product), which Chevron, or Mobil.

I can get this stuff for a touch over 12.00 a gallon, which is fairly competitive with the other majors.. I think that I'll just stay with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back