Leak Remedied on 2006 Toyota Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

I’ve been lurking around this website since 2005, looking to glean every bit of useful information I could regarding just about every topic covered here. Recently, I registered as a user. Anyway, I want to first thank you all for the information and help you have unknowingly provided me since 2005. All of the opinions, statistics, facts, and laughs your posts have provided have given me enormous amounts of help and entertainment, so thank you.
grin.gif

Ok, now for the reason for my post. I currently own and operate a 2006 Toyota Corolla LE with the 1ZZFE engine. I bought the car new in Oct 2005, it was my first new car ever, and my first oil change was at 507 miles with Valvoline conventional (5w-30). My second oil change was at 2,338 miles, during which I changed over to AMSOIL TSO (remember that?), SSO’s predecessor. Following the replacement of TSO by SSO, I used SSO. Obviously, while the car was under warranty, I (wastefully but dutifully) changed the oil at 5,000 mile intervals, until I hit 57,516 miles. I understand that doing such short OCIs was wasteful, so rebuke me if you will, but I did it to be safe.

In 2009, at 57,516 miles, I fell under the Auto-Rx spell and ran a ~2,500 mile clean interval with a follow-up rinse interval at 59,932 miles. During the Auto-Rx treatment, I used Castrol conventional (5w-30). Following the treatment, below are the oils I used along with the respective mileage at the time of the oil change:

62,907 miles / AMSOIL XL 5w-30 with 4 ounce Auto-Rx maintenance dose
65,367 miles / AMSOIL XL 5w-30 with 4 ounce Auto-Rx maintenance dose
70,504 miles / Mobil 1 0w-30 with 4 ounce Auto-Rx maintenance dose
75,797 miles / Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 with 4 ounce Auto-Rx maintenance dose
79,748 miles / AMSOIL XL 5w-30 with 4 ounce Auto-Rx maintenance dose
82,754 miles / AMSOIL SSO 0w-30
(Different oil filters, OEM sized and oversized, used during the oil changes.)

As I stated before, I understand that many of my OCIs were short and wasteful, having not fully exploited the extended OCI capabilities of the oil itself. As such, lesson learned, I got it, and I will now at least be doing 10,000+ mile OCIs.

Between 65,000 miles and 82,000 miles, I began to have small amounts of oil seemingly weeping from around the oil pan gasket and from rear main seal area of the engine. Upon switching back to SSO, however, the oil leak at both locations completely stopped. Obviously, my first thought was that the switch, and resulting change in chemistries, from TSO/SSO to another oil may have contributed to the development or emergence of the leak, but I wanted to ask the experts. Any thoughts or similar situations for any of you all?

FINALLY, LET ME SAY THAT I AM NOT ACCUSING ANY OIL OF BEING BETTER THAN ANOTHER, NOR AM I INSINUATING THAT ANY PARTICULAR OIL THAT I USED CAUSED, OR CONTRIBUTED TO, THIS APPARENT LEAKING. THAT IS NOT THE PURPOSE OF THIS POST. I only wish to say that I noticed an oil leak during the aforementioned time frame, and am curious if the actual change in oil chemistries contributed to the development or emergence of the leaks.

Interesting.

My 2005 1ZZFE is clean as new as far as any oil leaks anywhere.

I've run everything from 5,000 miles to 11,000 miles. I average around 7-8k OCIs now.

The problem I see is you've done some stuff that is not normal so it would be hard to prove or comment on oil A or additive B caused/fixed the leaks.

It just is what it is.

Take care, Bill

PS: Wish I had only 82k on my Corolla...
19.gif

Quote:
Between 65,000 miles and 82,000 miles, I began to have small amounts of oil seemingly weeping from around the oil pan gasket

Quote:
57,516 miles, I fell under the Auto-Rx spell and ran a ~2,500 mile clean interval with a follow-up rinse interval at 59,932 miles.

Quote:
62,907 miles / AMSOIL XL 5w-30 with 4 ounce Auto-Rx maintenance dose
65,367 miles / AMSOIL XL 5w-30 with 4 ounce Auto-Rx maintenance dose
70,504 miles / Mobil 1 0w-30 with 4 ounce Auto-Rx maintenance dose
75,797 miles / Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 with 4 ounce Auto-Rx maintenance dose
79,748 miles / AMSOIL XL 5w-30 with 4 ounce Auto-Rx maintenance dose

62,907 would be the end of the ARX so called rinse cycle and the beginning of the maintenance dose, correct?

Quote:
Upon switching back to SSO, however, the oil leak at both locations completely stopped.

Quote:
82,754 miles / AMSOIL SSO 0w-30

No mention of ARX maintenance dose in the SSO,i see your were meticulous with your record keeping so i assume there is no omission.
Maybe looking at Amsoil as the culprit is off base, you may need to look at another possibility.

The answer could be right in your post,it fits the mileage perfectly.

I doubt your leak is related to oils or AutoRx. However, after saying that I have to admit that I have no oil leaks in my 1ZZ-FE (03 Corolla) treated with dino oil every 5000 miles.

I'm glad that you preempted about wasteful use of Amsoil (and AutoRx).

Seems strange running Auto-Rx maintenance dose you got seepage then when you stopped using the Auto-Rx maintenance dose the seepage stopped shortly after. I dunno - wonder what else others will reply.

And you been lurking around this website since 2005 and just hopped on board? I dunno about that one either...

Trav,

Thanks, and I will certainly keep a close eye on the seals to see if they need to be replaced. I will follow up on this thread as time goes on.

Thanks again,
P

Yeah, it took me a while to get on the BITOG wagon. I started my search for the "perfect oil" on the internet in 2005, and came across this site - and I was hooked. It was just before I returned stateside from overseas, and I had saved emough money to buy my first new car. I wanted to make sure the Corolla, that I would eventually special order, had nothing but the best, so I looked for information about what people back here thought, as I had not been home for a while. Besides, I was just reading to learn, and had nothing to add to any of the conversations.

Let me also say that I am still an Auto-Rx fan, and did not mean to insinuate that it caused/exacerbated the leaks. As a matter of fact, Auto-Rx worked well (based on compression tests) on my girlfriend's 2001 Toyota Camry (5sfe / 128,500 miles), as well as my father's 1991 Toyota Pickup (22RE / 328,000 miles), which are both still going strong. Actually, my father's pickup has had a steady diet of Castrol GTX (10w-40) and Fram orange can filters throughout its life. I'm not an absolutist when it comes to conventional v. synthetic, any oil additives, etc., I just came here to learn. I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that I was blaming the Rx in any way, shape or form.

But, I digress...
grin.gif

Thanks Bill. I've been reading the forum for a while now, and always pay close attention to your posts, as I know you try different things out on your Corolla and post the results here. As a matter of fact, your problem with the Wix filter on your Corolla definitely weighed in heavily on my decision on which oil filters to use.

By the way, I know you have run ASL in your Corolla, but which oil did you go 11,000 miles on? Was it the ASL?

Originally Posted By: phenix78_99

By the way, I know you have run ASL in your Corolla, but which oil did you go 11,000 miles on? Was it the ASL?

It was actually Pennzoil 5w-30 conventional. I went across the USA last summer (around 6,000 miles) with the Subaru and once I got home had to get back to work and just lost track of the Toyota oil change. So once I got time to change it looked on the log and a little over 11k. Throughout the OCI no issues unlike other extended OCIs I've done before.

I really try to stay from 7-8k on most of the OCI with the Toyota. The Subaru I shoot for 5-6k since it is still in warranty. Truck gets 6 months no matter mileage.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: phenix78_99
Yeah, it took me a while to get on the BITOG wagon. I started my search for the "perfect oil" on the internet in 2005, and came across this site - and I was hooked. It was just before I returned stateside from overseas, and I had saved emough money to buy my first new car. I wanted to make sure the Corolla, that I would eventually special order, had nothing but the best, so I looked for information about what people back here thought, as I had not been home for a while. Besides, I was just reading to learn, and had nothing to add to any of the conversations.

Let me also say that I am still an Auto-Rx fan, and did not mean to insinuate that it caused/exacerbated the leaks. As a matter of fact, Auto-Rx worked well (based on compression tests) on my girlfriend's 2001 Toyota Camry (5sfe / 128,500 miles), as well as my father's 1991 Toyota Pickup (22RE / 328,000 miles), which are both still going strong. Actually, my father's pickup has had a steady diet of Castrol GTX (10w-40) and Fram orange can filters throughout its life. I'm not an absolutist when it comes to conventional v. synthetic, any oil additives, etc., I just came here to learn. I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that I was blaming the Rx in any way, shape or form.

But, I digress...
grin.gif

Hi

I ran a couple of Auto-Rx cleans on my Holden Commodore and it did exacerbate the weeping of the lower valley intake and rear main seal. I got the weeping to stop after a tried a previous oil, but after a year I could help myself and tried Auto-Rx again and weep reappeared.

I would not apologize for anything on this forum that you have experienced first hand. I understand your quest for the magic oil and the trials you have undertaken I as I have had similar experience.

I suggest if have had success in using the Amsoil SSO and it is the correct garde for your vehicle, use it and stick with it and don't change. You have found your magic oil.

Yeah I understand some forum members may say or think its this or that in my case, thats fine, but deep down I know what I experienced.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back