Best Gas Additive for SUPER COLD Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to be 20 to 30 Below Zero air temps when we drive mornings here in Minnesota this entire week. Highs 0 to 5 Below.

So, which of these 4 additives I currently have should I put in the tanks of my Sierra (that sits outside), the Saturn & the Camry? I think I know, but want your input!

MMO?
Seafoam?
Techrom?
Amsoil PI?

You forgot "none" on your list. What's the purpose of the additive? Why are you running one? Gas is still liquid at -30F and even if there was some condensation in the system if you aren't running E0 then the ethanol in the blend will keep you running fine (as Drew says).

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
You forgot "none" on your list. What's the purpose of the additive? Why are you running one? Gas is still liquid at -30F and even if there was some condensation in the system if you aren't running E0 then the ethanol in the blend will keep you running fine (as Drew says).

No, I forgot to write "I don't want to read *none* in the responses" in my original post.
33.gif

Most states have an ethanol blend (Most are around 10% I believe) which is the essentially the same as hat is sold as fuel antifreeze (Like you buy at Wal-Mart). Personally, I feel that you don't need it unless it make you sleep better.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Most states have an ethanol blend (Most are around 10% I believe) which is the essentially the same as hat is sold as fuel antifreeze (Like you buy at Wal-Mart). Personally, I feel that you don't need it unless it make you sleep better.

Yea, I know that well & do not like it generally. 99% of the gas here is E10 stuff.

Back to topic..... So far, NO ONE has answered the question.
whistle.gif
Which of the 4?
grin.gif

33.gif
Sorry I ever brought this up.
15.gif

50.gif

I know VERY well, what gas we have, what E10 is all about and that the engines will run just fine & make it through the cold a-ok with no additive at all!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
It's going to be 20 to 30 Below Zero air temps when we drive mornings here in Minnesota this entire week. Highs 0 to 5 Below.

So, which of these 4 additives I currently have should I put in the tanks of my Sierra (that sits outside), the Saturn & the Camry? I think I know, but want your input!

MMO?
Seafoam?
Techrom?
Amsoil PI?

One of these contains alcohol, the rest don't. (Seafoam) That may impact the decision.

So...the point of the question is: I am going to put SOMETHING in my gas tanks for the weather...

And your frustration is that the answer consisitently seems to be "gasoline".

Sorry, I don't think any of the listed products will make any difference in the extreme cold weather performance of your vehicles.

If you're worried about starting in those temps, I would change over to a synthetic oil in the 2 vehicles that don't have it.

If your intent is to clean your fuel system, the Techron is good stuff...but it's not likely to help starting at 20 below...

OK I'll bite. MMO for its UCL properties, for that first cold start in the morning when the thick cold is taking a little more time than normal finding its way to the cylinders. Even a 0W-xx oil is taking a bit longer to reach vital parts when its that cold. I think a good UCL is helpful in those extreme cold conditions, especially to rings and the cylinder walls. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
OK I'll bite. MMO for its UCL properties, for that first cold start in the morning when the thick cold is taking a little more time than normal finding its way to the cylinders. Even a 0W-xx oil is taking a bit longer to reach vital parts when its that cold. I think a good UCL is helpful in those extreme cold conditions, especially to rings and the cylinder walls. JMO

Yes! I was honestly hoping you'd chime in dermapaint...
thumbsup2.gif

I was torn between the MMO & Seafoam. MMO for the lubrication properties & the Seafoam for the anti water-in-tank benefits. With the 10% ethanol junk, I'm aiming towards the MMO in all 3 vehicles.

No, I forgot to write "I don't want to read *none* in the responses" in my original post.
33.gif

So.... You have no specific reason for using an additive, but you absolutely insist that you must use one of the ones on your list? How is anyone supposed to help you answer that question?

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada

33.gif

So.... You have no specific reason for using an additive, but you absolutely insist that you must use one of the ones on your list? How is anyone supposed to help you answer that question?

I don't insist on anything. Given the conditions, which of the 4 is the best one to use. Did you notice "none" wasn't on the list?? You inserted it and it wasn't even on the list!
crackmeup2.gif
!!!

MMO went in all 3 tanks BTW...
thumbsup2.gif

You made a good choice. I have heard many engines start up when the temperature is way below zero, and they often make many sounds that seem to be coming from inside the engine that aren't good in the first few seconds. The extra lubrication in MMO may help.

Originally Posted By: trynew
You made a good choice. I have heard many engines start up when the temperature is way below zero, and they often make many sounds that seem to be coming from inside the engine that aren't good in the first few seconds. The extra lubrication in MMO may help.

+1 My thinking exactly, especially in some of the colder parts of the US and Canada. I remember a trip to the Adirondacks where it dipped to -30*F IIRC, the sounds coming from my cousin's Toyota when he fired it up in the morning were not good. That was with M1 5W30 in the sump. A little extra protection for those cold morings is not going to hurt, MMO in the gas does some cleaning too.

During that trip to my cousin's house, I had my E-150 next to his Toyota, my van was about 15 years older than his Toyota. I had MMO mixed into 5W30 M1 and MMO in the gas. The older E-150 turned over much easier with a lot less moaning and groaning. From that point on my cousin became a winter time MMO user, I couldn't believe he lived up there and never used it.

I would run a syn 0 wt oil and an oil pan heater up there in minnesota for the supper cold months. Were you need the protection is at the engine bearings were there is no oil flow when it gets that cold. The fuel additive will only help the upper cylinder walls but the rest of the engine is getting no oil flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back