Who makes Toyota and Acura batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What company makes Toyota batteries? What company makes Acura batteries? I just bought an Acura and the Parts guy sold me a 100 month Acura battery for $70. I jumped all over it. I may end up replacing (as they die) all my Toyota's with the Acura battery.

Don't put in the Acura batteries. They are notorious for not lasting long. Check out Acura forums and you'll see.

My Toyota battery is a AC Delco. Who ever makes that?

Its getting close to replace time after almost 200k and 5.5 years.

Bill

Our OE battery was panasonic. Lasted 10 years and we should have kept it... The replacement duralast wasn't nearly as good.

Originally Posted By: deven
Don't put in the Acura batteries. They are notorious for not lasting long. Check out Acura forums and you'll see.

Already did. We'll just have to wait and see...
blush.gif

Ok, so it appears either JC or Panasonic makes the toyota and the acura. How can I tell? Does it say on the battery? ALso, how can I tell the age of a battery if it only has the "secret code" on it?

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Its getting close to replace time after almost 200k and 5.5 years.

Bill

My car came with the same OEM battery as yours (ACDelco 35-6YR), and I had to replace it last November. It lasted 6 years, 4 months.

The one came with my Integra stock lasted 9 years.

Originally Posted By: Gebo

Already did. We'll just have to wait and see...
blush.gif

I have a 2009 Acura TL and when I first got the car I was trying to play with all the electronic gizmo and audio settings in the car. I had it in the "ACC" mode for about 1/2 hour and when I tried to start the car it was dead. Went to acurazine forum to search and lo and behold it is a very common problem. I believe it is a JC battery but not the aftermarket ones which are very good.

My last 2 toyotas (RAV4 and Prius, both made in Japan) came with OEM Japanese brand batteries. Don't remember the brand but it was not Panasonic. They are low quality as the Toyota forums I frequent are full of stories of batteries failing left and right. RAV4 battery failed after 3 years, just after the warranty expired. This is very typical.

Ok, so it appears either JC or Panasonic makes the toyota and the acura. How can I tell? Does it say on the battery? ALso, how can I tell the age of a battery if it only has the "secret code" on it?

If the vehicle was made in Japan and still has the factory battery it is almost definitely a Panasonic.

If the battery has been replaced by the dealer or the vehicle was made in the USA, it is very likely a Johnson Controls.

Johnson Controls batteries have two vent pods on top that have squared off corners. They'll also say "DO NOT TIP. KEEP VENT CAPS TIGHT AND LEVEL" on them. (AC Delco batteries made by Johnson Controls are an exception; their vent pods have no
writing on them at all).

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Delphi made that. They sold their battery business to Johnson Controls, who closed the Delphi battery plant and started supplying AC Delco with their own Johnson Controls designed battery.

The panasonic batteries have panasonic molded in the side of the case.

Originally Posted By: brianl703

If the vehicle was made in Japan and still has the factory battery it is almost definitely a Panasonic.

Not mine. My RAV4 came with Furukawa.

Honda and Toyota use a hodgepodge of battery OEMs. For North America production, mostly JCI but Toyota also uses GNB/Exide as well.

For Japanese production they use Panasonic, GS Yuasa and Furukawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back