09/01/14 12:26 AM
8000 H&K G36 Assault Rifles
by Merkava_4
08/31/14 11:42 PM
Newest Members
DennisWaller, DMackey, Mambo_Dave, 2165, JohnSawyer
51160 Registered Users
Who's Online
40 registered (BISCUT, 3800Series, andyd, 05LGTLtd, 2009Edge, 4 invisible), 672 Guests and 374 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
51160 Members
64 Forums
218608 Topics
3447064 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2135961 - 01/12/11 05:54 AM Re: Change winter parking habits to avoid rusting? [Re: addyguy]
SevenBizzos Offline

Loc: The IL
I'm happy to finally have an attached garage, so we're parking cars in there. I try to wash them regularly after the snow events.

I even bring my outside car inside after it's covered in snow to thaw the thing out.

Besides, I'm helping the environment (different thread reference here) by parking in the garage because the garaged cars start and go because there's no ice scraping to be done. smirk

#2135982 - 01/12/11 06:47 AM Re: Change winter parking habits to avoid rusting? [Re: addyguy]
Nick R Offline

Loc: Amherst, OH
I park my car in the garage, it usually is about 45 degrees in there (unheated). The benefits are threefold- one, it is warmer so it doesn't take as long for the heat to start working, two it is warmer so cold starting not so bad, and three, I don't have to clean snow/ice off it in the morning.

#2136006 - 01/12/11 07:33 AM Re: Change winter parking habits to avoid rusting? [Re: mikiee]
Anies Offline

Loc: NJ
Actually isn't it "better" to leave the first cake layer of salt on a car as it prevents the additional salting through the winter from harming the car? The salt eventually loses its ability to harm the car(first layer) and if you keep washing it your just continually exposing the car to the fresh salt over and over no?

#2136014 - 01/12/11 07:47 AM Re: Change winter parking habits to avoid rusting? [Re: addyguy]
Mr_Incredible Offline

Loc: Nebraska
All our cars are outside for the winter. The garage is full of tools and workshop items. It stays at around 30-40 degrees most of the time. I couldn't imagine trying to keep it clean with all the ice and salt melting off a car. Ewww!

Speaking of snowblowing habits, I sure changed mine after I blew some salty goo over the side of the garage. It's made of concrete blocks, and the salt got into the mortar and did a number on it. I was tuckpointing that side anyway, but that just sped up the job. I hope I got the mortar out deep enough to where it no longer is a problem. I also hope it doesn't do anything to the blocks themselves, but it probably will eventually. Now I blow everything to the end of the driveway and across the road, into the center circle of our cul-de-sac. Neighbors all do it too, but I'm the one that digs out the fire hydrant.

'12 Prius C
'09 Prius
'99 F-250 Super Duty V10
'98 Z28 LS1
'82 KZ1100
'79 Suzuki GS550L

#2136110 - 01/12/11 09:05 AM Re: Change winter parking habits to avoid rusting? [Re: addyguy]
Char Baby Offline

Loc: Rochester NY
Here is a sanario for the gang:

My wife and her sister both own '01 Lexus RX-300's
We all live in the same city/town.

Although both girls have different driving habbits/styles and driving distances in which they travel, with my SIL's RX having ~ 40K more miles on her RX than my wife's RX.

My SIL parks her RX in her attached garage and parks in the parking garage where she works downtown. She is a Dept. VP at a major health care insurance company(most of us have this insurance), as is my BIL. And they can afford any vehicle they want. This RX never sees anything more than the local carwash machine if ever, and the interior is a pigsty. No Rust to speak of with the exception of a couple of nicks in the paint that could have used a brush touch. Paint is glossy but very dry to the touch. Many scratches in the paint. No headlight lense fade what so ever! They don't do much as far as maintenance. But by comparison to ours, her RX looks like do-do

My wife parks her RX outside (as our attached garage is for the old American Iron) and also parks outside at the "Y" where she works part time. No rust to speak of and mostly washed by hand sometime even in the winter but often sees the local car wash(winter only). Paint is glossy and feels smooth to the touch. Minimual paint blemishes for a 10 year old car(I'd have to point them out). Interior is clean and uncluttered. Some headlight lense fade which I often attend to with lense restore.

I can't tell anyone which of these RX's is going to rust first/worst. I think that it is a testimate to the paint and metal process that was used in the factory.

My 04 Altima is also holding up well(always outside) although one rear wheel well is showing some rust.

But I'm a little dissapointed on our daughter's 06 Mazda3 in the rear wheel well area for a car that we purchaced in Aug, 09(3 yrs old). It was starting to show rusty spots then but we opted to buy anyway. Small, but it's there! Even the other day when I looked at it, it didn't seem any worst than in 09. I'll keep on top of it! Car has been great thus far and worth the money.

I think alot has to do with the factory corrossion protection and metal treatment. What quality of metal, how was it protected in the factory and how many step paint process.
More expensive cars should be better than lesser expensive cars.

1980 Firebird FORMULA V8
2001 Lexus RX-300 V6
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5S
2006 Mazda 3i 2.0L

#2136158 - 01/12/11 09:40 AM Re: Change winter parking habits to avoid rusting? [Re: addyguy]
rslifkin Offline

Loc: Stamford, CT / Rochester, NY
^ I've seen quite a few rusty newer Mazdas up here. Mostly wheel wells and trunk lids.

My Jeep had some rust on the bottom of the back hatch when I bought it, although I've replaced the hatch since then. In the spring, I have to clean up a little bit of minor rust starting on the hood lip and bottom of the driver's door. All of those seams have been filled with WD-40 by me to prevent any new rust. Other than that, and a little surface rust on some welds on the underbody, it's got no rust that I can find.

#2136208 - 01/12/11 10:28 AM Re: Change winter parking habits to avoid rusting? [Re: Anies]
Kestas Offline

Loc: The Motor City
Originally Posted By: Anies
Actually isn't it "better" to leave the first cake layer of salt on a car as it prevents the additional salting through the winter from harming the car? The salt eventually loses its ability to harm the car(first layer) and if you keep washing it your just continually exposing the car to the fresh salt over and over no?
This sound like some kind of myth. It makes no sense. Salt never loses its ability to corrode metal. There's no difference between fresh salt and salt that is thousands of years old.

#2136316 - 01/12/11 12:38 PM Re: Change winter parking habits to avoid rusting? [Re: Char Baby]
Craig in Canada Offline

Loc: Toronto-ish, Canada
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I can't tell anyone which of these RX's is going to rust first/worst. I think that it is a testimate to the paint and metal process that was used in the factory.

I think alot has to do with the factory corrossion protection and metal treatment. What quality of metal, how was it protected in the factory and how many step paint process.

You can thank the indoor life of the first RX for cloud-free headlights. Lack of UV exposure will prolong a lot of components. Of course in mid-winter it's not much of an issue.

You're not necessarily going to see a big rust blister on a quarter panel to know which one is going to go first. It would be interesting to put both up on a lift and see what they look like underneath. There may be quite a difference there which would point your best bet in one direction or the other.

#2136333 - 01/12/11 12:59 PM Re: Change winter parking habits to avoid rusting? [Re: Anies]
addyguy Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Anies

My dad followed that logic - he never washed his cars in the winter, and parked them outdoors a lot of the time.

#2136393 - 01/12/11 01:59 PM Re: Change winter parking habits to avoid rusting? [Re: addyguy]
scotth324 Offline

Loc: Fort Frances, ON
I know one guy up here with a 91 Dodge diesel and we get lots of winter and lots of salt. What he does is an oil change just before winter and mixes the used oil with chain saw bar oil and takes all the plugs out of the body and frame and coats everything inside and out with a layer of the oil mixture including the whole underside the truck and up the sides of the box and doors some. Once he has it covered in the sticky oil he takes it for a good hard drive up a dry and dusty road to coat the oil in dust and dirt and he washes it all off in the spring. It has kept his truck next to immaculate. No rust anywhere on it.

#2136513 - 01/12/11 03:58 PM Re: Change winter parking habits to avoid rusting? [Re: addyguy]
rslifkin Offline

Loc: Stamford, CT / Rochester, NY
I've been doing more or less the same, but using WD-40. Every time it gets washed, insides of the doors, frame rails, and the rest of the underbody get a liberal spraying, which dries to a light, water-resistant film. Salt needs water to cause rust, so if the metal stays dry, it stays non-rusty.

#2137049 - 01/13/11 06:06 AM Re: Change winter parking habits to avoid rusting? [Re: Craig in Canada]
Char Baby Offline

Loc: Rochester NY
Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

You can thank the indoor life of the first RX for cloud-free headlights. Lack of UV exposure will prolong a lot of components. Of course in mid-winter it's not much of an issue.

You're not necessarily going to see a big rust blister on a quarter panel to know which one is going to go first. It would be interesting to put both up on a lift and see what they look like underneath. There may be quite a difference there which would point your best bet in one direction or the other.

Ours looks great thus far! There is so much undercoating beneath the chassis/wheel wells/ rocker panels, I can honestly say that Lexus did a fine job.

1980 Firebird FORMULA V8
2001 Lexus RX-300 V6
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5S
2006 Mazda 3i 2.0L

#2137060 - 01/13/11 06:24 AM Re: Change winter parking habits to avoid rusting? [Re: addyguy]
rjundi Offline

Loc: New England
In a nutshell no way.....

I like the 50F garage and a nice warm car.

#2139730 - 01/15/11 08:21 PM Re: Change winter parking habits to avoid rusting? [Re: rslifkin]
Vizzy Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: rslifkin
I've been doing more or less the same, but using WD-40. Every time it gets washed, insides of the doors, frame rails, and the rest of the underbody get a liberal spraying, which dries to a light, water-resistant film. Salt needs water to cause rust, so if the metal stays dry, it stays non-rusty.

I don't spray the WD 40 everytime but every so often I spray and it does seem to help to slow down the effects of rusting.

IN any case you should wash off the inside of the engine compartment as well because there is plenty of bare metal and other components that will be damaged or have a shorter life span if left coated with salt!

#2140143 - 01/16/11 09:52 AM Re: Change winter parking habits to avoid rusting? [Re: rslifkin]
Kestas Offline

Loc: The Motor City
Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Salt needs water to cause rust, so if the metal stays dry, it stays non-rusty.

Water can also come from humidity in the air.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >