top tier gasoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! Thanks for all your help with oil and trans. fluid. Next-gas.
My reading led me to believe that top tier gas has a good amount of poly ether amine, a cleaning compound. also, that Shell V power has 5 times as much. I believe that and accept it. question is, DO I NEED IT?????
I have a 2008 cadillac northstar v8 with 27,000 miles and a 2002 lexus 6 cyl. with 76,000 miles. i want them to last forever.

would it make any difference to use top tier gas or shell v power? the shell v power was $3.40 today.

thanks!

bob

Nothing lasts forever...Use the octane rating your vehicle calls for and go to a station that has a lot of traffic (top tier gas is over-rated). If you want a decent shot of PEA, buy a bottle of RedLine SL-1 and use a whole bottle the tank before every other oil change. That is all you have to do.

My car seems like it runs better when I use Mobil or Shell gas.....but it could be due to their upgraded pumps and tanks.....but yes, both brands seem to "tout" their additive pack .... well, shell moreso than Mobil......Mobil used to simply keep quiet about their additive packs, but I've seen they were recently added to the top tier gas site.....

I don't know if I can believe all the hype....but I use 4 oz MMO every fill up and either Berrymans B-12 or Seafoam before every OCI....no fuel related problems thus far..

I believe in top tier gas.

It works magic in my Corvette, by keeping the gas gauge working. 1997-2004 year Corvettes have a problem with sulfur fouling the gas sensor in the tank and the gas gauge stops working. Techron cleans this and if you use a top tier gas it stays that way. Worked a couple times on my Corvette. Now I use only top tier gas (Shell) and have had NO PROBLEMS.

Having said that, I only run top tier gas in my Corvette, my other 3 cars get SAM'S CLUB or COSTCO gas (yep, I'm cheap). I always add a bottle of Techron to all my cars when I change oil (about 7500 miles).

Top Tier gas is worth it for the special car(s).

thanks, everyone! if anyone else has comments, please tell me! paying a bit more for gas, as i do for mobil one oil, is worth it if it makes the car last. my 2002 lexus, 76,000 miles has had regular synthetic oil changes, car washes, and gets detailed. although I live in mass., it has no rust, burns no oil, and runs great. it really looks new!

thank you everyone!

happy new year!

bob

Originally Posted By: ahoier

I don't know if I can believe all the hype....but I use 4 oz MMO every fill up and either Berrymans B-12 or Seafoam before every OCI....no fuel related problems thus far..

In a million miles I have used nothing but Mobil gas...I have never used MMO...Once a year [if that] I use Gumout with Rogane.

Who can be bothered to put MMO in the tank [or anything else] at every single fill up...You can not be serious.

Hi I have 2006 Toyota Camry V6 204,000 miles. I use Chevron 99% of the time.

Chevron may cost more, but it is worth it.

Originally Posted By: Robertslowpoke
My reading led me to believe that top tier gas has a good amount of poly ether amine, a cleaning compound. also, that Shell V power has 5 times as much. I believe that and accept it. question is, DO I NEED IT?????

PEA is not the standard detergent. Poly butyl amine (PBA) is, which is cheaper and leaves its own deposits

Top Tier doesn't guarantee the fuel additive used. PBA can be used also and still meet the Top Tier requirements.

In the end... do you need PEA gasoline? IMO, yep. It will enhance the big can of PEA that you may throw in at intervals, and if you do maintenance doses

Hi everyone! Thanks for all your help with oil and trans. fluid. Next-gas.
I have a 2008 cadillac northstar v8 with 27,000 miles and a 2002 lexus 6 cyl. with 76,000 miles. i want them to last forever.

would it make any difference to use top tier gas or shell v power? the shell v power was $3.40 today.

thanks!

bob

bob,

Based on your question I would think the so called quality and the large additives is most likely.

Here in California TOP TIER gas comes at premium prices and currently for Shell regular gas is $3.89/gallon in my area. The cheapest gasoline I see currenly is ARCO going for $3.30/gallon of regular so what gas do you think I'm buying???

If you can afford TOP TIER gas then I'd stay with the one of your choosing as mine usage flucuates based on the price. Your Lexas has about the same mileage as my 01' Durango which recently had to have a valve job due to what the mechanic indicated was too much non-TOP TIER gas usage. Now basically every other month now I buy a big bottle of Techron and add it to the tank for extra measure!!!! One thing I don't need is another engine issue based on the gas I must use to ease my pocket book.

Durango

thanks, everyone! if anyone else has comments, please tell me! paying a bit more for gas, as i do for mobil one oil, is worth it if it makes the car last. my 2002 lexus, 76,000 miles has had regular synthetic oil changes, car washes, and gets detailed. although I live in mass., it has no rust, burns no oil, and runs great. it really looks new!

thank you everyone!

happy new year!

I don’t get it. You say “paying more for top tier gas”. Around here it’s only 1 cent more per gallon. Woopty. I’m not going to drive out of my way for 1 cent. Also, if there is a top tier station with in the same radius as a so called “bargain” gas station, I’m going to the top tier one. I know it can be argued that it isn’t necessary, but a car is nothing more than a money pit, so why not take a little better care of it?
For some of you in CA. I guess if there is a big difference in price, then I could see your point out there.

bob

I don’t get it. You say “paying more for top tier gas”. Around here it’s only 1 cent less per gallon. Woopty. I’m not going to drive out of my way for 1 cent. Also, if there is a top tier station with in the same radius as a so called “bargain” gas station, I’m going to the top tier one. I know it can be argued that it isn’t necessary, but a car is nothing more than a money pit, so why not take a little better care of it?
For some of you in CA. I guess if there is a big difference in price, then I could see your point out there.

Last edited:
At one time most major manufacturers used only Chevron for their EPA certification runs. That was significant.

These days it's a bit blurrier. I can get Shell in my area at prices as low as anywhere, Chevron, too. Courtesy of local convenience stores.

I am a believer in quality fuel, but I feel the Top Tier advantage may be very slim for the average driver.

I really wish that there were some Chevron and Texaco stations in the New Jersey/NYC area. I love the gasoline and the only close option is Exxon.

Shell I've had mixed results with using and will not go out of my way to find that brand of gasoline.

I only use regular and it's been Exxon, Citgo and "Mom and Pop"
"no name gasoline" . I do like the Citgo gasoline....Chavez or no Chavez.

I filled up on my last trip at a "No Name" gas station on my way back from South Carolina to Coney Island this AM. The name of the station was "The Pit Stop" in Nashville, North Carolina. That fill up of regular unleaded contained NO ETHONOL and I got 350 miles on 14 gallons of gas. Much better performance and mileage that the fill up of Shell Regular with ethanol.

IMO....this top tier hype is just hype. I do like the Chevron gasoline and I use it if I can find it on the road.

Most of the Shell stations here sell overpriced gas. They are the only top tier stations that I can think of that are more expensive than the non-top tier. Quick trip and Phillips 66 are top tier and don't cost a penny more than the non-top tier and so my purchasing is a no-brainer: top tier gas (except Shell)!

Lets do the math. I really drive 3400 miles a month.

No brand name gas $3.09 a gallon
Chevron 3.35

3400 miles/ 32 mpg = 106 gallons fuel used.

no brand name cost $328
chevron $356

When I am using chevron, I am paying $28 more a month. I think it is worth it. with chevron, I dont need to add any MMO or fuel cleaner.

It sounds like some people expect to see an instant fix with Top Tier. You wont. It will do a better job of keeping your engine clean and can do some towards cleaning a dirty engine, over time.

Originally Posted By: moto94536
Lets do the math. I really drive 3400 miles a month.

No brand name gas $3.09 a gallon
Chevron 3.35

3400 miles/ 32 mpg = 106 gallons fuel used.

no brand name cost $328
chevron $356

When I am using chevron, I am paying $28 more a month. I think it is worth it. with chevron, I dont need to add any MMO or fuel cleaner.

Great comparison. Now subtract about $10 for some Techron fuel system cleaner you'll need for the cheaper gas and you're only saving $18.

Originally Posted By: mongo161

I only use regular and it's been Exxon, Citgo and "Mom and Pop"
"no name gasoline" . I do like the Citgo gasoline....Chavez or no Chavez.

Exxon is TT now.

I think the primary problem is that most people don't bother to get "the big picture" of local gas prices.

Locally (within 6 miles) the cheapest non-Top Tier regular gasoline is $3.049. The cheapest Top Tier regular, which happens to be Shell, is $3.079. That's right, a whopping $0.03 difference! For premium gasoline, the cheapest non-Top Tier is $3.249. The Top Tier Shell V-Power (again the cheapest) is just $3.299. A whole $0.05 more per gallon!

I see a lot of people post big price differentials between Top Tier gasolines and the cheap stuff. The funny thing is that when I check their local listings, I never seem to find the massive differences. I'd recommend that more folks take a look at GasBuddy and find their local price listings. You'd be amazed at the prices you can find, when you bother to look. Those with an Android, Windows or iPhone smart-phone should try the GasBuddy Mobile App. With the mobile app you'll find the best prices close to you and even get directions (or navigation) to the station.

Yeap. Drivers need to open their eyes. We all make mistake. I made mistakes too.

here are the mistake I made.
Changed oil at 3000 miles. ( I could have gone 5,000- 6,000 miles).
I should have use fog light when snowing.
I used to use valero gas when I was in college.. now only chevron.

The point of this forum is we are helping other drivers to understand about gas, motor oil..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back