Tires for 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. A co-worker of mine has a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee that has 245/70 R16 tires and was looking for a good deal on quality, but not too expensive priced tires. Unfortunately I never shop for all season tires when it comes to suv's as I've never owned one. She's 19 and doesn't know anything about cars, nor tires. She does live up in the foothills of the mountains, and sees decent snow. Any input would be great, and unfortunately she didn't give me a price, but I know she doesn't have a lot of money to spend. Any thoughts Ideas, or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Originally Posted By: 97prizm

Hi all. A co-worker of mine has a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee that has 245/70 R16 tires and was looking for a good deal on quality, but not too expensive priced tires. Unfortunately I never shop for all season tires when it comes to suv's as I've never owned one. She's 19 and doesn't know anything about cars, nor tires. She does live up in the foothills of the mountains, and sees decent snow. Any input would be great, and unfortunately she didn't give me a price, but I know she doesn't have a lot of money to spend. Any thoughts Ideas, or suggestions would be really appreciated.

45 different tires to choose from TireRack in that size.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=245%2F&ratio=70&diameter=16&x=25&y=9

I personally am a Michelin fan but they are expensive. If she is not looking for a dedicated winter / snow tire then I would consider the LTX MS2 from Michelin.

Goodyear fortella worked on my wife's jeep. We got 61,000 highway miles out of them. Alot of folks dog uniroyal but they are cheap and last 50,000 on my pick up.

My buddy is a PI and drives all over NY State with his same generation GC w/I6. The snow and weather he encounters daily, is more than most of us will. I beleive he is running Good/Year Wrangler OWL in a similar size and loves'em. He is hard on vehicles and love these GC's w/Wrangler's. He often put on 1000 mile/week.

I can ask him if it's of any extra importance, otherwise this is about all I can contribute.

He hasn't mentioned MPG or noise with these tires as these are of little importance to him. The investigation company that he works for pays for his mileage and he has hearing loss in one ear. The Grand Cherokee is an animal he says. He likes the I6.

Last edited:
I know the OP mentioned she needs something economical, But considering her age and driving conditions I do believe she really should have dedicated winter tires.

Not only for getting up a snowy/slushy/icy mountain road, But for safely coming down.

If she ops up to a 245/75, she'll find more options.

It's not nearly as hard to find good tires in the 245/75 R16 size as it once was when I bought my suv 13yrs ago finding this size was REALLY hard.

It's actually VERY common now.

Sounds to me like what this girl needs are some mild All terrain tires; all season/highway tires trust me, do not cut it if you live in the mountains, even in 4wheel you'll find yourself sliding around.

Have her take a look at Hankook's new all terrain tire, Yokohama Geolander A/T, Firestone's A/T tire, or Bridgestone Revo's, which is an incredible snow/ice/rain tire on and off road. However they can be a bit pricey, but cheaper then Michelin's a/t tires.

Honestly speaking...that size is not a cheap tire no matter how you look at it, 16" tires are not cheap.

Dedicated snow tires are great, if you can afford to buy a summer set of tires as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Joshusmc
Goodyear fortella worked on my wife's jeep. We got 61,000 highway miles out of them. Alot of folks dog uniroyal but they are cheap and last 50,000 on my pick up.

+1

I'll repeat myself, As we just got a pretty good Ice Storm here in NE PA, The best thing you can do is a dedicated Snow Tire

Last edited:
I don't think dedicated snows on a 4x4 would be necessary (I grew up in ND). Buy some ATs or HTs with the "snowflake" symbol, and you'll be happy.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I don't think dedicated snows on a 4x4 would be necessary (I grew up in ND). Buy some ATs or HTs with the "snowflake" symbol, and you'll be happy.

I understand what youre saying, but as stated before its not about getting up the hill as much as it is about stopping.

4x4 doesnt help much when you have to brake.

(I grew up in Finland)

Last edited:
I like General Grabbers. Ive yet to own some but a friend had the stock Ameritrac last 72k on his F150 and got new grabbers. They seem to be highly rated at tire rack and are among the least expensive. The hard part is finding a local place that has General in stock. Walmart may have them, possibly in another name. It seems they carry the Altimax car tire (very distinguishable tread) but it had a different name stamped on the side.

Last edited:
It sounds like $$ is not available for dedicated snow tires & then a change-out in the summer. I also think the Firestone Destination LE would be fine.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Firestone Destination LE is a nice tire for those Jeeps.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
It sounds like $$ is not available for dedicated snow tires & then a change-out in the summer. I also think the Firestone Destination LE would be fine.

I have always read good reviews on the Destination LE for Jeep GC's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back