SuperTech 7317 cut open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Then as previously said, Champ's response should be verrry interesting.

Agreed.

I received an email from Champion Labs early this afternoon acknowledging the receipt of the filters and that they are evaluating them. I gave them the link to the original thread questioning the center tube.

It will be up to them to reply publicly with the results of their evaluation(I don't feel they have any obligation to do so). I will not post information given to me in private emails unless I have their permission to do so.

thumbsup2.gif
to Champion Labs for their quick response to receiving the filters and sincere interest in evaluating the them.

Ed

Will be interesting to see what Champ Labs says about this issue.
whistle.gif

Quote:
......It will be up to them to reply publicly with the results of their evaluation (I don't feel they have any obligation to do so......).
I really don't understand that comment. "If" the filters sent are defective then some public response is in order, IMO. Specifically in this case the ultimate final public response would be a recall. Also, just as I have been cautious based on my filter dissection here, about saying the centertubes are defective, "if" your observations are accurate, a non public response would NOT indicate to me any reason to give accolades to Champ. With something as potentially serious as this, simply responding in a timely manner by acknowledging receipt of the filters means little to me, that should go without saying, imo.

Also, based on another member's response to loose ST filter cores in this thread, while Champ responded in writing to the member (Hokiefyd), their final solution and explanation was less than satisfactory for some. Just to note, as my posts there show, I also gave Champ the benefit of the doubt in that situation. I do appreciate however, that said member in that situation kept us updated/informed with emails and allowed us all to reach out own conclusion about the final results/ultimate solution.

So, since you sent the filters in question, clearly you are welcome to handle the situation in any manner you see fit. That said, a non response or one that can't/won't be made public could indicate one of two things "to me". One, said filters/centertubes are not defective/are as designed, or two, a company not willing to acknowledge they have some issues with the filter center tube stampings. In the absence of public response, most discerning members here will avoid ST filters, and perhaps carefully consider whether to purchase even other filters made by Champ with a similar louver/slit design. In other words, erring on the side of caution, rightfully so imo.

Again, at this point, while I have clearly given Champ the benefit of the doubt here, I am not willing to line up and cheer/give thumbs up for their response to your inquiry.

Quote:
I really don't understand that comment. "If" the filters sent are defective then some public response is in order, IMO.

I should have qualified that with "here". This is just an internet forum. We think we're important. We're not.
grin.gif

If they determine there is an issue, I would hope that they respond quickly and at a level appropriate to the severity of that issue.

Quote:
most discerning members here will avoid ST filters, and perhaps carefully consider whether to purchase even other filters made by Champ with a similar louver/slit design. In other words, erring on the side of caution, rightfully so imo.

Your are correct. Discerning members should already be avoiding oil filters(or any other product)built by any company to the lowest possible price point. Life experience has shown me that the cheapest item is rarely the best value. The most bang for your buck is often at the mid-level.

I'm not a Champion Labs fanboy. I don't currently use any of their products. A possible serious issue was brought to light, Champion Labs was alerted to the issue. It's up to them to respond to the issue at the proper level. I trust they will do so until proven otherwise.

Ed

Quote:
I should have qualified that with "here". This is just an internet forum. We think we're important. We're not.
grin.gif

Yes, "here" would be appropriate if "public" meant Bitog specifically, I wouldn't expect that either. However, that would have nothing to do with "me" thinking "we" are important. Perhaps some individuals that post here use that reasoning, I don't know. But, I wouldn't presume to speak for them by using the term "we". In any case, I would not include myself in thinking I'm important because I post in this forum. Now, if they respond with an answer to you alone and choose not to post it, as said, your right.

As for the issue, until made public, the two possible assumptions I previously posted hold true. Sadly "if" true, it's the non informed consumer, not generally a Bitoger, or oil filter board reader here, that could suffer. And that is even though in this filter dissection I see nothing to prove any issue with the centertube. For the record, while I don't currently use their products, as this thread shows, I have nothing against them or their products. Switzerland, in other words.

Also being discerning about low cost filters is different imo, than unknowing use of "any" product in any price range that is potentially defective. I can name several low cost filters posted here that have served posters here well and been a great bang for the buck, AAP Total Grip, Quaker State and Pennzoil filters to name a few.

Difference here is just as I am not willing to condemn the ST filter design based on my dissection and posted external observations, I'm also not willing to now laud them based on an email response acknowledging filters received.

While I'm fairly satisfied based on this dissection that "this" filter is fine, based on the information now posted on the linked thread above it now also seems logical to assume that the other paired row of louvers/slits are designed/spec'd to be open. Being as the center tube stamp has been retooled/replaced as of 1/7/11, future use and purchase, would be up to the discretion of the user/purchaser based on center tube inspection. At least, that's how I see it.

So, someone on another forum mentioned that Supertech quality went down ever since they moved production to Mexico. This is a quote from that post:

Quote:
Regarding supertech filters, they earned a great reputation as a value, yet very effective, filter based on price and dissection of the filter to examine the insides. Walmart then changed source manufacturing over a year ago and things changed. The made in the USA version was the original and was good, not because of its manufacturing location, but due to the quality of the internals. The newer supplier sourced out of Mexico has changed the internals. The Made in Mexico versions are about the same as a Fram oil filter which is built with the lowest cost in mind (cardboard end caps, etc). I used to use the supertech, then checked the source of manufacture at walmart, and saw that it had changed to the Mexico version. A subsequent check, months later, showed USA source of manufacture. I don't know what that is about but maybe it's NOS filters arriving as they empty out old reserves.

Any truth to this?

FYI, I just picked up an ST7317 for my bike the other day with a date code of 030111AB2 and "Product of USA" written on it. Seems fine to me...

ST7317a.jpg

There is a companion thread (linked previous page) regarding the all slits being closed/not all open. edhacket sent sample/samples to Champ, they said while not as designed they (samples) would function acceptably (paraphrase).

Champ has since fixed the stamping machines, and your date of manufacture is well after the retool date (1/7/11). Slits look open in both directions, should be fine.

The one dissected in the pics also said product of USA. Don't know of/haven't seen any ST's made in Mexico.

I suppose it's possible. That said, your pic seems to indicates the slits being properly opened in both directions. Still think you are fine.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Still think you are fine.

Yup. I think so too, but will probably switch to another filter brand after this.

Just re-read where you said you just picked it up, ST7317's move off the shelf fairly quickly. That plus the visual evidence, say, no problem to me.

Originally Posted By: Junior96Stang
Do all SuperTech filter come with metal end caps?

Not many do ... most have fiber end caps and plastic center cage.

I looked throughout most of the filters... there were only 3 styles that were metal endcaps. Mainly the ones for hondas and yotas have metal endcaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back